Car started too use too much engine oil

Posted 15th Jun 2020
so basically I had a leak from the engine dipstick tube it was leaking and I have had this fixed by having a new dipstick tube installed. the car may have run on low engine oil for 2-3 weeks after this or it may have started using up toouch engine oil after this I am not sure.

basically it is using up around 1 litre for 500-600 miles I have tried too work it out.

before this problem the car used up almost no engine between oil changed which I usually get done around 6000-7000 miles it's a Toyota Corolla verso converted too LPG about 5 years ago other than this the engine hasn't gave me any trouble only other thing I have had done is had the fan belt changed done think that would have affected the oil useage,.

one garage has recommended me too use Lucas engine stabilser oil but I don't think that will make any difference shall I change the oil from 5w30 too a different oil too reduce the oil consumption or is there anything else I can do.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Obvious question - is the new dipstick installed correctly?
Getting smokey exhaust?

That much oil use says leak or engine fubar (technical term).
Does it have a turbo? Petrol? diesel?
It's either leaking it or burning it - it has to be going somewhere. Are there wet oil patches where it is parked, if so it it leaking (some at least) so trace the leak and solve it. If not it's burning it - something(s) in the engine need replacing. Maybe piston rings, valve oil seal, Turbo? etc etc. This will usually mean some exhaust smoke and maybe a oily exhaust with this amount of oil loss.

One other thing to check, the oil crankcase breather. If that is blocked the oil could be getting blown from somewhere (dipstick tube is a favourite) as the engine is being pressurised. We had that on a car, if you opened the bonnet and started the engine after a few seconds the dipstick would fly up into the air.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 15th Jun
Give it a service, sump plug could be lose
s_dusara15/06/2020 09:11

Give it a service, sump plug could be lose

You'd see the drip with that oil loss.
Not seeing any oil leak nothing underneath and the can't see much blue smoke etc from exhaust. My question is if it's burning the oil up is it just a matter of it will keep burning up lots of oil or will it just total breakdown one day. If I can get another 10k out of it maybe I can just keep adding oil. Lpg can cause valves too burn up and I if the valve saver fluid hasn't done its job that maybe the cause but I am confused why it just suddenly happened and not over a longer period. Maybe I have run it with low engine oil and that has caused this.

There isn't any power loss or lots of smoke from the exhuast even when I am reving it alot and can't see a oil leak .
mas9915/06/2020 07:57

Obvious question - is the new dipstick installed correctly?Getting smokey …Obvious question - is the new dipstick installed correctly?Getting smokey exhaust?That much oil use says leak or engine fubar (technical term).Does it have a turbo? Petrol? diesel?

It's a petrol 1.8 vvti engine I have read some vehicles use up a bit of oil when at high mileage but that upto 1lt a 1000k miles but not like what mine is using.

The dipstick all looks like it's installed correctly. Can't see any issues with it got it from main dealers aswell so 8ts not the wrong one either.
MynameisM15/06/2020 09:22

Not seeing any oil leak nothing underneath and the can't see much blue …Not seeing any oil leak nothing underneath and the can't see much blue smoke etc from exhaust. My question is if it's burning the oil up is it just a matter of it will keep burning up lots of oil or will it just total breakdown one day. If I can get another 10k out of it maybe I can just keep adding oil. Lpg can cause valves too burn up and I if the valve saver fluid hasn't done its job that maybe the cause but I am confused why it just suddenly happened and not over a longer period. Maybe I have run it with low engine oil and that has caused this. There isn't any power loss or lots of smoke from the exhuast even when I am reving it alot and can't see a oil leak .

If no loss of power and no slight poppin/missfire sound on tick-over there is probably not a big valve seat problem. (We use LPG)

What mileage has the engine done? However the main point remains, if it's not losing it it must be burning it. If you run your finger around the inside of the rear of the exhaust (when it's not hot!) is is slightly oily or very sooty?
joyf453615/06/2020 08:49

It's either leaking it or burning it - it has to be going somewhere. Are …It's either leaking it or burning it - it has to be going somewhere. Are there wet oil patches where it is parked, if so it it leaking (some at least) so trace the leak and solve it. If not it's burning it - something(s) in the engine need replacing. Maybe piston rings, valve oil seal, Turbo? etc etc. This will usually mean some exhaust smoke and maybe a oily exhaust with this amount of oil loss.One other thing to check, the oil crankcase breather. If that is blocked the oil could be getting blown from somewhere (dipstick tube is a favourite) as the engine is being pressurised. We had that on a car, if you opened the bonnet and started the engine after a few seconds the dipstick would fly up into the air.

I can't see oily residue 9r patches on floor the exhuast seems too be covered in Black spot though when I touched it.

It's a petrol VVTi engine,. The valves may have dried up as it's on LPG, but I thought if that's the case the vehicle starts losing power aswell, not much smoke is produced either it's more or less as similar as before I had one of my family follow me on a road trip and also revved it the smoke is slightly black but not alot and bluey colour or large amount.

Will the car carry-on as usual so for upto 10k, as long as I keep adding engine oil, as I don't think getting the engine stripped and repaired will he worth it it's 2006 reg, vehicle worth around 1.5k-2k.
MynameisM15/06/2020 09:24

It's a petrol 1.8 vvti engine I have read some vehicles use up a bit of …It's a petrol 1.8 vvti engine I have read some vehicles use up a bit of oil when at high mileage but that upto 1lt a 1000k miles but not like what mine is using.The dipstick all looks like it's installed correctly. Can't see any issues with it got it from main dealers aswell so 8ts not the wrong one either.

As things wear engines use more oil, what is the mileage. we've had vehicles at over 250,000 miles that didn't use that much oil.
MynameisM15/06/2020 09:30

I can't see oily residue 9r patches on floor the exhuast seems too be …I can't see oily residue 9r patches on floor the exhuast seems too be covered in Black spot though when I touched it.It's a petrol VVTi engine,. The valves may have dried up as it's on LPG, but I thought if that's the case the vehicle starts losing power aswell, not much smoke is produced either it's more or less as similar as before I had one of my family follow me on a road trip and also revved it the smoke is slightly black but not alot and bluey colour or large amount.Will the car carry-on as usual so for upto 10k, as long as I keep adding engine oil, as I don't think getting the engine stripped and repaired will he worth it it's 2006 reg, vehicle worth around 1.5k-2k.

If there is a leak oil will blow back as you drive along is anything at the back of the vehicle underneath looking oily? That would usually drip down when parked though.
Will the car carry on for 10K miles, well without knowing what the problem is can't say, however the three little letters M O & T might be a problem oil leaks and emissions are both fails.
joyf453615/06/2020 09:35

Will the car carry on for 10K miles, well without knowing what the problem …Will the car carry on for 10K miles, well without knowing what the problem is can't say, however the three little letters M O & T might be a problem oil leaks and emissions are both fails.

I can't see a leak and emissions I doubt will be a problem it's running on LPG, and the emissions are always very low vs the limit on the petrol which it was originally.
joyf453615/06/2020 09:37

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=101823Looks a likely …https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=101823Looks a likely answer.

Thanks mine is a 2006 registration so not sure , if it's just a case off adding oil then I can live with it but if it will stop or breakdown completely at a random point it Rather try sort something out either git rid of vehicle or if there's a reasonablly priced fix like max 200-300 pounds it do that.
MynameisM15/06/2020 11:39

I can't see a leak and emissions I doubt will be a problem it's running on …I can't see a leak and emissions I doubt will be a problem it's running on LPG, and the emissions are always very low vs the limit on the petrol which it was originally.

Depends how much oil your burning though.
MynameisM15/06/2020 11:42

Thanks mine is a 2006 registration so not sure , if it's just a case off …Thanks mine is a 2006 registration so not sure , if it's just a case off adding oil then I can live with it but if it will stop or breakdown completely at a random point it Rather try sort something out either git rid of vehicle or if there's a reasonablly priced fix like max 200-300 pounds it do that.

2006 registration but could easily by 2005 manufacture. IF that's the problem which sounds probable there is no fix other than a new engine. It should run as it is for a while yet but the oil consumption is likely to go up. No specific reason for a breakdown any time soon.
tnvip.org/veh…re/

NOT from a UK site but the info is the same burning oil = bad emissions.

I would be looking to get another new car as soon as practical, you might be lucky and get it through and MOT but if not you'll need one there and then. When is the MOT due?
Because of this bit

The cause was insufficient oil capacity, "This led to the oil-ways sludging up,".

I wouldn't be tempted to use a thicker oil.
If it's not leaking oil ( would be noticeable with that much loss ). Probably PCV valve ( cheap easy fix ) , piston rings or valve stem seals etc.. I once had a Zafira that would burn a litre of oil every 1k so I just topped it up frequently.

Anyway I'd just keep topping it up frequently, You could use a thicker grade oil as that should reduce oil leaking past any seals as easily etc.. perhaps try 10w40 or maybe even 20w50. It should keep going for another 10k miles so long as it's not something else. Probably not economical to fix the issue etc..
Edited by: ".MUFC." 15th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text