Car Steering Wheel Locks

Posted 9th Oct
Hi

Car steering wheel locks any good as a deterrent for these low life car thieves!!!!???
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
Most thieves carry portable grinders, will it slow them down yes, will it prevent them stealing the car, probably not.

screwfix.com/c/t…ess
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Oct
cmdr_elito09/10/2019 20:03

Most thieves carry portable grinders, will it slow them down yes, will it …Most thieves carry portable grinders, will it slow them down yes, will it prevent them stealing the car, probably not.https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/angle-grinders/cat830694?powersupply=cordless

I don’t have a fancy car or anything but anything that slows them down n wakes us/neighbours up is a good thing right?
The serious low lives in london use grinders on motorbike locks, not heard about a grinder being used on a steering lock recently. Theres that many keyless cars around they just move on to the next
ruheluddin8609/10/2019 20:11

I don’t have a fancy car or anything but anything that slows them down n w …I don’t have a fancy car or anything but anything that slows them down n wakes us/neighbours up is a good thing right?

Of course. You could also consider fitting an alarm too, that’ll certainly make a noise.
ruheluddin8609/10/2019 20:11

I don’t have a fancy car or anything but anything that slows them down n w …I don’t have a fancy car or anything but anything that slows them down n wakes us/neighbours up is a good thing right?

A good deterrent , if you haven't got a fancy car they will most likely move along to something easier to steal.
cmdr_elito09/10/2019 20:24

Of course. You could also consider fitting an alarm too, that’ll certainly …Of course. You could also consider fitting an alarm too, that’ll certainly make a noise.

The alarm won’t go off if they have your car keys!!! Haven’t you heard/seen what they do, break into your house, take the keys and drive off!
I’ve started by keeping my car keys upstairs but want a deterrent so they don’t even look once at my cars!
deleted90213909/10/2019 20:24

A good deterrent , if you haven't got a fancy car they will most likely …A good deterrent , if you haven't got a fancy car they will most likely move along to something easier to steal.

Lol you’ll be surprised they still take 11/12 plate cars!!!! Have no idea why!?
ruheluddin8609/10/2019 21:11

The alarm won’t go off if they have your car keys!!! Haven’t you hea …The alarm won’t go off if they have your car keys!!! Haven’t you heard/seen what they do, break into your house, take the keys and drive off! I’ve started by keeping my car keys upstairs but want a deterrent so they don’t even look once at my cars!

And a steering lock key will be attached to your car/house keys too. Always keep your car keys upstairs I have never understood why anyone would keep them downstairs anyway seems daft. If keyless then keep in a pouch.

Best deterrent is buy a house with a garage and keep the car inside it. Alarm the garage and install cctv.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Oct
ruheluddin8609/10/2019 21:12

Lol you’ll be surprised they still take 11/12 plate cars!!!! Have no idea w …Lol you’ll be surprised they still take 11/12 plate cars!!!! Have no idea why!?

If you really want a deterrent then get a wheel clamp and put some fake tax stickers on it.
deleted1410297
They ain’t going to waste time nicking something that isn’t a Audi rs3, golf r, amg etc.

Basically high performance german cars mainly, to be put in containers.
cmdr_elito09/10/2019 21:55

And a steering lock key will be attached to your car/house keys too. …And a steering lock key will be attached to your car/house keys too. Always keep your car keys upstairs I have never understood why anyone would keep them downstairs anyway seems daft. If keyless then keep in a pouch.Best deterrent is buy a house with a garage and keep the car inside it. Alarm the garage and install cctv.

I totally forgot about that lol of course it will be on the same keyring! Thanks
Steering locks are a pain to keep putting on and off. You end up scratching the car and it's always in the way for passengers.
Better off wiring up a secret switch (either hidden or an existing switch that is not used on your model) to the fuel pump power.
So even if they have your keys or try to use a relay it won't start.
Had a hidden switch before. Current car the button for lane departure warning (my car normally has a blanking plate) is now the 12v+ line to my fuel pump.
So just jump in the car, press the button (which is pretty hidden down by the side of the steering wheel) and then start it up and go. No messing.
GAVINLEWISHUKD09/10/2019 23:15

Steering locks are a pain to keep putting on and off. You end up …Steering locks are a pain to keep putting on and off. You end up scratching the car and it's always in the way for passengers.Better off wiring up a secret switch (either hidden or an existing switch that is not used on your model) to the fuel pump power. So even if they have your keys or try to use a relay it won't start.Had a hidden switch before. Current car the button for lane departure warning (my car normally has a blanking plate) is now the 12v+ line to my fuel pump. So just jump in the car, press the button (which is pretty hidden down by the side of the steering wheel) and then start it up and go. No messing.

Excellent idea! Who how easy is it to set this up?
Google autowatch ghost immobiliser. It’s basically like having to input a pin using buttons on your dashboard. Even if they have your keys, your car won’t start without pressing the correct sequence of buttons first.
Some cars can also have anti highjack, meaning if you are dragged out of your car at the traffic lights, the car will turn off.
deleted141029709/10/2019 22:03

They ain’t going to waste time nicking something that isn’t a Audi rs3, gol …They ain’t going to waste time nicking something that isn’t a Audi rs3, golf r, amg etc. Basically high performance german cars mainly, to be put in containers.

How do you explain the thousands of focus, fiesta, s max, a3, fiat 500 and many more lower model cars being stolen every month then ? Until 6 months ago i used to work delivering replacement cars for hastings, tesco, co-op, direct line and not many of the customers had the models you've stated only one every now and then.
Many of them buy damaged cars from coparts, steal cars for the parts and then sell them on and make a few grand profit on each car, im sure coparts have stopped accepting cash payments now because the police are aware of it
deleted1410297
Mark_Hickman10/10/2019 08:14

How do you explain the thousands of focus, fiesta, s max, a3, fiat 500 and …How do you explain the thousands of focus, fiesta, s max, a3, fiat 500 and many more lower model cars being stolen every month then ? Until 6 months ago i used to work delivering replacement cars for hastings, tesco, co-op, direct line and not many of the customers had the models you've stated only one every now and then.Many of them buy damaged cars from coparts, steal cars for the parts and then sell them on and make a few grand profit on each car, im sure coparts have stopped accepting cash payments now because the police are aware of it

Never heard of low tier cars being stolen from driveways, esp in the south. Just doesnt make sense to break in, find the keys and drive off in a fiat 500.

Besides only a mug would buy a cat D repaired fiat 500, or any cat D for that matter
deleted141029710/10/2019 08:26

Never heard of low tier cars being stolen from driveways, esp in the …Never heard of low tier cars being stolen from driveways, esp in the south. Just doesnt make sense to break in, find the keys and drive off in a fiat 500. Besides only a mug would buy a cat D repaired fiat 500, or any cat D for that matter

Strange its happening all over and i hear about many every day all over the country posted on groups on facebook etc...
Obviously not many steal fiat 500 but that was just an example of one i have heard about last year thats very far from an rs3 etc..
In most cases they dont break into your house they just walk up open the car door and drive off via obd port.
They will break into your house if its for one of the cars you've mentioned above and you've got keys upstairs or in a shield sleeve and they cant remotely open the car door via signal boosting outside, then if they're serious, you've got them coming upstairs with weapons for the key you've got, just not worth it.
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 10th Oct
I don’t know what bubble FUAARKKK lives in! Lol
Anyone bought an aftermarket tracker not that I’d want my car back if it was stolen n ragged etc!
Edited by: "ruheluddin86" 10th Oct
MadSkilzYo10/10/2019 06:41

Google autowatch ghost immobiliser. It’s basically like having to input a p …Google autowatch ghost immobiliser. It’s basically like having to input a pin using buttons on your dashboard. Even if they have your keys, your car won’t start without pressing the correct sequence of buttons first. Some cars can also have anti highjack, meaning if you are dragged out of your car at the traffic lights, the car will turn off.

£400 nah mate!!!!
GAVINLEWISHUKD09/10/2019 23:15

Steering locks are a pain to keep putting on and off. You end up …Steering locks are a pain to keep putting on and off. You end up scratching the car and it's always in the way for passengers.Better off wiring up a secret switch (either hidden or an existing switch that is not used on your model) to the fuel pump power. So even if they have your keys or try to use a relay it won't start.Had a hidden switch before. Current car the button for lane departure warning (my car normally has a blanking plate) is now the 12v+ line to my fuel pump. So just jump in the car, press the button (which is pretty hidden down by the side of the steering wheel) and then start it up and go. No messing.

Yup things like that are easy to fit, as is knowing which fuse to pull as an added deterrent.
In the early 90's when parking up his GTI 16v golf (a much stolen car back then) we had 3 components for leaving it at the airport 1 fuse removal.
2 trip switch (to fuel line)
3 (the biggie) remove the steering wheel ! ..I kid you not! .it was offputting to your average joy-rider

the fuse removal is a simple ploy whilst there are others that can be swapped over it takes time if they want to go examining why the car won't start, not your average car stealers first thought to be honest.

The removed steering wheel either went in luggage or someone elses car in the same car park.
PS I have an original smart car ..its easy to break into, & worth money as spares as it is nigh on "classic" territory.

(short vehicle, semi auto / fully auto capable, easy parking) been restoring it to original spec ...only wish it had A/C great little runaround.
Just fit a AutoWatch Ghost, without the 4-20 digit PIN number which uses buttons on the steering wheel or dashboard the car will not start, the only way they are going to physically remove it is to lift onto the back of a truck. I personally would recommend the AutoWatch Ghost as I have one fitted to my i30N best £399 I’ve spent. I also have a Stoplock Pro just to be on the safe side.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants