Groups

Car stereo help!

Banned
    Hey, my dad has a problem with his car cd player! He took his old one out and stuck a new one in and it instantly got hot and smoked! So we took it back and got another one but the same thing happened? What is wrong? We put the wiring in right cuz there is only 1 way to fit in. Help please

cheers, sean

25 Comments

" We put the wiring in right cuz there is only 1 way to fit in. Help please "

You obviously didn't otherwise it would not have smoked.

Check that all colour codes on the wiring match up, some need changing on occasions.

Failing that get it fitted by someone that knows their stuff before you have no car to fit it to..;-)

Banned

Its got to be the wiring
    ie negative earth instead of positive earth or other way around
    Double check

Banned

Inactive;6025029

" We put the wiring in right cuz there is only 1 way to fit in. Help … " We put the wiring in right cuz there is only 1 way to fit in. Help please "You obviously didn't otherwise it would not have smoked.Check that all colour codes on the wiring match up, some need changing on occasions.Failing that get it fitted by someone that knows their stuff before you have no car to fit it to..;-)

:thumbsup: +10000000000000

it should be fused to stop any problems like that.

unless its an old motor which used to be postive earth,modern motors are negative earth.

Banned

richp;6025048

it should be fused to stop any problems like that.unless its an old motor … it should be fused to stop any problems like that.unless its an old motor it would be negative earth.

Yep

No............ not all new(modern) cars are neg earth

Original Poster Banned

What do you man by negative earth? All we did was simply remove the wires from old stereo and put them in the new stereo but it's not working. How much it cost for someone to fit it?

Thanks

Original Poster Banned

It's in a P reg vectra btw.

RUDOLF;6025063

YepNo............ not all new(modern) cars are neg earth

i work with cars all day & have done since 1981 & ive not seen any modern positive earthed cars come through our workshop ?

seanbwfc;6025076

What do you man by negative earth? All we did was simply remove the wires … What do you man by negative earth? All we did was simply remove the wires from old stereo and put them in the new stereo but it's not working. How much it cost for someone to fit it?Thanks

what car exactly and what stereo?

seanbwfc;6025082

It's in a P reg vectra btw.

that'll be negative earth, must be a wiring fault somewhere,is there no fuse in the radio or wiring loom for the radio ?

can you take a photo of it and post it here.

Original Poster Banned

There was a 10 amp fuse in the cd player but when i plugged it In and started the ignition the fuse
    blew, not sure what to do next, what do you
    guys reckon I should do next?

richp;6025094

that'll be negative earth, must be a wiring fault somewhere,is there no … that'll be negative earth, must be a wiring fault somewhere,is there no fuse in the radio or wiring loom for the radio ?can you take a photo of it and post it here.

i agree. must be a short somewhere. maybe caught the live or switch wire on the cage and shorted it. check them as far back as possible.

Banned

richp;6025084

i work with cars all day & have done since 1981 & ive not seen any modern … i work with cars all day & have done since 1981 & ive not seen any modern positive earthed cars come through our workshop ?

Ive been a fireman since 1974 and now retired Ive seen many a problem because of that belief.
    Coz battery disconnection as you know is important case you ground terminal.

Original Poster Banned

Well I can't mess with it at the mo cuz I'm going footy soon, what do you mean when you say there might be a "short"?

Cheers guys

seanbwfc;6025120

There was a 10 amp fuse in the cd player but when i plugged it In and … There was a 10 amp fuse in the cd player but when i plugged it In and started the ignition the fuseblew, not sure what to do next, what do youguys reckon I should do next?

See post number 2.;-)

seanbwfc;6025120

There was a 10 amp fuse in the cd player but when i plugged it In and … There was a 10 amp fuse in the cd player but when i plugged it In and started the ignition the fuseblew, not sure what to do next, what do youguys reckon I should do next?

thats the idea of the fuse if it blows you have a fault somewhere, if you bypass the fuse then your asking for trouble as you've seen. retrace the wiring just in case the live wire is touching anything.

Banned

richp;6025084

i work with cars all day & have done since 1981 & ive not seen any modern … i work with cars all day & have done since 1981 & ive not seen any modern positive earthed cars come through our workshop ?

our work mazda is just checked it 1997

RUDOLF;6025222

your mazda is postive earth "+" red cable ! ?

RUDOLF;6025222

Are you sure, I also havn't heard of a pos earth car for years, certainly before 1997.

Which model Mazda is it, 'cos my neighbour has a 1997 Mazda 626 and that is certainly Neg earth.

seanbwfc;6025201

Well I can't mess with it at the mo cuz[COLOR="Red"] I'm going footy … Well I can't mess with it at the mo cuz[COLOR="Red"] I'm going footy soon[/COLOR], what do you mean when you say there might be a "short"? Cheers guys

I assume your going to the Reebok? If so avoid the M61, there has been an accident near the junction for the Reebok and it's chaos.

seanbwfc;6025201

Well I can't mess with it at the mo cuz I'm going footy soon, what do you … Well I can't mess with it at the mo cuz I'm going footy soon, what do you mean when you say there might be a "short"? Cheers guys

I don't want to sound harsh but if you need to ask that question, you really shouldn't be messing around with car electrics.

Original Poster Banned

Yeah I'm going to the Bolton game, ok when I get back later I will check the cables as far back as possible, hopefuuly I can get it sorted. Could this be major thing? Or just a case of finding the fault?

Thanks again guys

seanbwfc;6025285

Yeah I'm going to the Bolton game, ok when I get back later I will check … Yeah I'm going to the Bolton game, ok when I get back later I will check the cables as far back as possible, hopefuuly I can get it sorted. Could this be major thing? Or just a case of finding the fault? Thanks again guys

if the old radio was working ok before, then it should be a simple fix.

Original Poster Banned

Yeah I had a pioneer stereo in it then took that out cuz it was mine and we put a Sony stereo in, but this problem keeps happening now.

RUDOLF;6025222

prob an import. The chances of a vectra being a positive earth is almost non existant.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844453
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1957
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?24
      4. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value26

See more discussions