CAR TAX can now be payed by direct debit and spread the payments STARTS TODAY 01/11/14

Found 1st Nov 2014
Not really a deal, but does make it a lot easier to pay your car tax.

DVLA will offer motorists the ability to spread their vehicle tax payments should they wish to do so. For vehicle tax starting from 1 November 2014, motorists will be able to pay vehicle tax by direct debit annually, biannually or monthly.

Oh well let the comments begin.........

gov.uk/gov…isc
Community Updates
GOV.UK DealsMiscCar
48 Comments
nice to know....thanks
Beware, it does cost more!
*Paid
No opposite of any deal just an easy way for the government to rip us off.No paper no printing no postage, sell a car mid month and you and buyer ripped off.
It costs more to do this.
No deals to see here.
It's good advice though cheers OP
Did this a few days ago, since my car tax is £190 a year makes sense for me to do this, im envious of fo you guys that have a next to nothing tax (£30) etc.
Soon to be swapping a £20 tax disc for a £180 one.
Also worth mentioning that from today a renewal on your photo license (when your photo is 10 years old) will now be £14 and not £20. I really need to do that on mine.
If you usually pay every 6 months there was a 10% surcharge now with monthly payments its only 5%
Haha! Winter is coming in this thread!
Since when do news items feature as deals on HUKD?
Hot, since it went up to £17 a year i need a way to spread my motorbike payments.
Cheers OP
Good to know vote hot
ettam123

If you usually pay every 6 months there was a 10% surcharge now with … If you usually pay every 6 months there was a 10% surcharge now with monthly payments its only 5%

Exactly what I just done, works out slightly cheaper and you can spread the cost.
Isn't this supposed to be a deals website, to save money, why are we recommending ways to pay more than you should be?

Put the Direct Debit into a savings account instead and save yourself 5%
pablobanez

Did this a few days ago, since my car tax is £190 a year makes sense for … Did this a few days ago, since my car tax is £190 a year makes sense for me to do this, im envious of fo you guys that have a next to nothing tax (£30) etc.

£190 is dirt cheap, try £500 a year!
MikeBeaver

£190 is dirt cheap, try £500 a year!

That is expensive, what you got a Roller!
pablobanez

That is expensive, what you got a Roller!

RX-8, it puts out 285gms of Carbon, and is newer than 06, so I get stung for the top rate of road tax, on top of it being firsty as you like, usually get around 210 miles to a full £70 tank of fuel.
It is jolly good fun to drive though
monkeyhanger75

Soon to be swapping a £20 tax disc for a £180 one.

Why are you getting a tax disk at all?
monkeyhanger75

Also worth mentioning that from today a renewal on your photo license … Also worth mentioning that from today a renewal on your photo license (when your photo is 10 years old) will now be £14 and not £20. I really need to do that on mine.

Oh thanks for that!!! They have already sent me letter showing its £20? So what to do?
miikeyblue

Why are you getting a tax disk at all?

That's the wrong question. He wants you to ask why he's paying more so he can tell you about his new car X)
Edited by: "deeky" 1st Nov 2014
MikeBeaver

Does sound like like fun, puts my Nissan Note to shame, but since ive had … Does sound like like fun, puts my Nissan Note to shame, but since ive had her never let me down, best car ive had!RX-8, it puts out 285gms of Carbon, and is newer than 06, so I get stung for the top rate of road tax, on top of it being firsty as you like, usually get around 210 miles to a full £70 tank of fuel.It is jolly good fun to drive though

it is more expensive to pay it monthly but for those who don't have that much money to pay it all in one then its good for them.
deeky

That's the wrong question. He wants you to ask why he's paying more so he … That's the wrong question. He wants you to ask why he's paying more so he can tell you about his new car X)

think I'd prefer to know his old car
£500 a year here too will defen make it easier being monthly
Good for me when my tax is £560 a year
Why do people with higher rate road tax moan about paying it .... You choose to drive these cars so dont moan. If you dont want to pay an expensive road tax change the at simples
Just set up 6 monthly DD (to start 1.11.04) - payment doesn't leave my account until 17.11.04 - should be interesting motoring up until then??? rang tax office but they are too busy lol. I wonder why.

If I am not covered until the payment goes though I will just have to cancel DD and pay by card.
Mine is £260 per year 1998 VW Golf- i will definately be using the pay monthly option, thanks for the info
I had to dole out £80 at the end of November, this has saved me a wedge. Stop moaning! Thanks OP.
smiley80

Why do people with higher rate road tax moan about paying it .... You … Why do people with higher rate road tax moan about paying it .... You choose to drive these cars so dont moan. If you dont want to pay an expensive road tax change the at simples

In fairness the whole system is flawed because co2 does not equal pollution. Even the EU knows this because diesels have more pollutants than the equivalent petrol, but because of the low co2 they fall under the silly low tax brackets. There is talk of changing the car tax system in the EU in the future to better account for this, so maybe in the future we'll see diesels taxed accordingly higher.
As others have said, it's always been more expensive to pay a years tax in 2 instalments, and this is actually cheaper than it was because it's only a 5% charge rather than a 10% charge. The convenience of being able to spread the payments across the whole year is well worth the charge if like most people you don't have a lot of disposable income!
We pay £495 a year too for our 12 plate
Paid*
Great idea! Cheaper than getting 6 months tax as well! I'm up for it!!
smiley80

Why do people with higher rate road tax moan about paying it .... You … Why do people with higher rate road tax moan about paying it .... You choose to drive these cars so dont moan. If you dont want to pay an expensive road tax change the at simples

Not true! If I had the choice I would definitely have bought a car with a lower tax bracket! Unfortunately, money plays a huge part in the decision on which car to buy, and when you can only get an older car with higher tax the choice is taken away. But then again, I'm not moaning, I love this idea! I will definitely be doing it!
Might seem like a daft question but do you start the direct debits from the month your tax runs out or can you start it now? my tax runs out in February 2015
I hate paying any percent over than what I should. I have two car taxes to buy. £20 and £200. I always squirrel £20 a week into a savings account. Should hopefully cover insurance and tax on both cars.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants