Car tax for new Car - Can I wait till 1st Oct?

Posted 28th Sep
Hi.
Just bought a car today and I know I need to get road tax.

Question is, as there are just 2 days till the end of the month should I wait until 1st of October till I tax it?

Do I need to SORN it in the time being?

If I did get it taxed, would that be just for 2 Days in Sept - or would they charge for the full Month of Sept?

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Your best bet would be to SORN it for the 2 days and get your tax to start on 1st October. If you do pay for Sept you will pay for the whole month.
16 Comments
Your best bet would be to SORN it for the 2 days and get your tax to start on 1st October. If you do pay for Sept you will pay for the whole month.
Should I ensure from 1st Oct too then.? Or today
pKaTz28/09/2019 15:54

Sounds like a silly question. I know.

Today. If you don't insure it and someone torches it you get nothing. If you want to drive it before 1st of October you will have to tax it
Obviously you can't drive the car or leave it on the road until 1st October. No point insuring it until then either

Insure it now in case something happens to it, someone steals it, etc, there's nothing to gain by waiting until the 1st ( and everything to lose).
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 28th Sep
Thanks guys. Will tax on 1st.
If it's parked on the road you need to tax it or get it off the road straight away. It's been known for the dvla goons to clamp a vehicle within hours of it being purchased, info sometimes supplied by the local curtain twitcher)
use it and get caught by ab anpr camera then you will regret being tight over the lost tax days...
pKaTz28/09/2019 15:55

Sounds like a silly question. I know.

Insure it now, tax it from 1st October. If it got stolen tonight it would then be insured. When you SORN the vehicle ensure it is actually off the road and on your drive.
Edited by: "oliviasgrandad" 28th Sep
deleted1410297
legally you need to sorn it until when you get both tax and insurance.
thanks guys. Just getting some insurance quotes
Depends on cost of tax. Mine is £20 a year, so £1.66 a month......
colinsss28/09/2019 20:00

Depends on cost of tax. Mine is £20 a year, so £1.66 a month......

Its £160 for the year. £88 for 6 months
Could you not wait to pick up the car till the 1st?
astrapartytime29/09/2019 12:53

Could you not wait to pick up the car till the 1st?

I had picked up the car already so not possible.

I taxed the car yesterday, and in good time too. The car was off the road, but yesterday morning I noticed that the DVLA had been out and clamped 4 cars on mine and the surrounding roads.

Good thing the car was sorned and off the road.

Thanks for the advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants