Found 8th Feb 2009
We have a car which has been off the road for 18mths(parked in garage), we have just taxed it online today, could we drive the car b4 the tax arrives cos it's registered online? I will be parking the car outside my house, which is a private road but unsure whether we could drive it b4 the tax arrives. Any help much appreciated.

1. Misc
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Car
11 Comments

Your car is taxed but the police COULD (if they wanted to) fine you for driving without a valid tax disc being on display.

So to answer the question you shouldn't drive the car on a public road.

was the car sorn?

andrewr;4318704

Your car is taxed but the police COULD (if they wanted to) fine you for … Your car is taxed but the police COULD (if they wanted to) fine you for driving without a valid tax disc being on display.So to answer the question you shouldn't drive the car on a public road.

Correct - it is an offence not to display a valid tax disk and waiting for it to arrive from DVLA is not a valid excuse.

i received a reminder in the post yesterday, my tax runs out on 28 feb,
the leaflet enclosed says 'Since 1st September 2008, you can legally drive or keep your vehicle on the road for upto 5 days from the end of the month without displaying a valid tax disc provided you have made your application (by phone or online) before your current tax /sorn expires'
not sure if this helps

The answer to your question is yes, you can drive the car before your disc arrives.

However, you would do so at your own risk as others have said and confirmed, that is an offence for any car using a public road not to have a valid tax disc displayed.

I guess it all depends on the copper if you get stopped by one. I mean, although its an offence, police have discretionary powers to caution you rather than issue an automatic ticket. This doesnt mean to say that you wouldnt get a ticket tho.

If the copper was out on the ran-dan and struck it lucky then he/she will be as happy as a pig in the proverbial and the jovial mood may sway them to let you off with a word of caution after checking that you have paid your tax but are just waiting on the disc........on the other hand, if the copper that stops you has been arguing with their spouse, got up with a hangover and finds the cat carping in their shredded wheat before they go on shift then you're pretty well stuffed and will probably get a ticket.
:-D :w00t:

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;4318855

The answer to your question is yes, you can drive the car before your … The answer to your question is yes, you can drive the car before your disc arrives.However, you would do so at your own risk as others have said and confirmed, that is an offence for any car using a public road not to have a valid tax disc displayed. I guess it all depends on the copper if you get stopped by one. I mean, although its an offence, police have discretionary powers to caution you rather than issue an automatic ticket. This doesnt mean to say that you wouldnt get a ticket tho.If the copper was out on the ran-dan and struck it lucky then he/she will be as happy as a pig in the proverbial and the jovial mood may sway them to let you off with a word of caution after checking that you have paid your tax but are just waiting on the disc........on the other hand, if the copper that stops you has been arguing with their spouse, got up with a hangover and finds the cat carping in their shredded wheat before they go on shift then you're pretty well stuffed and will probably get a ticket.:-D :w00t:

lmao :w00t:

Original Poster

Thankyou everyone, i think al just wait for delivery not worth getting a tcket.

Original Poster

wulshaz;4318716

was the car sorn?

no it wasn't. I know we are due a fine due to a stupid error( i let OH take the blame for it,lol)

We bought the car same day tax ended. The previous owner didn't pass on the renewal thingy. When OH registered in his name, he thought they would have sent a reminder. We put car in garage straight away as it needed work done, forgot all about not getting reminder form, and now were stumped with fine and back tax when they write to us :oops:

never mind.

they changed the law this week IIRC. you are allowed to drive the car legally for 5 days after you tax online. i'll see if i can dig up the link

can't find the news item i read this wek but found this

motordaily.co.uk/200…la/

emmad;4319044

no it wasn't. I know we are due a fine due to a stupid error( i let OH … no it wasn't. I know we are due a fine due to a stupid error( i let OH take the blame for it,lol)We bought the car same day tax ended. The previous owner didn't pass on the renewal thingy. When OH registered in his name, he thought they would have sent a reminder. We put car in garage straight away as it needed work done, forgot all about not getting reminder form, and now were stumped with fine and back tax when they write to us :oops:never mind.

thats unlucky but at least you are sorted now :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322841
    2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564105
    3. Add one, leave one game54315402
    4. hotukdeals features in current edition of computer active magazine33

See more discussions