Groups

Car tax question?

hey everyone just got a quick question if I get my car Insurance done online can I still get my road tax in an post office as ive got all electronic documents all I would have to do is print them off would they accept this?
    Thanks

10 Comments

Theoretically yes, but it depends on how well the staff has been trained. Why not do the road tax done online as well? They usually send you a code with the reminder and it's easy to do online.

Yes this should be fine - my wife's is all online and i got her tax in the post office just fine.

Why not do car tax online too? Much easier and as long as you do it with plenty of time to spare, then its all checked through linked systems and only lets you buy the tax if you are insured and have a valid MOT (if needed).

Yes that's fine. You cant get round the system like you could before as the police have real time access to the insurance database. So you will get pulled for no insurance anyway.

Its ok to take a printed copy to the Post Office but as others have said just do it on line.
    taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Evl…pp/

Original Poster

I would but im buying the car from a dealership and they are going to put the road tax on for me as part of the deal but they need by insurance details to do so thats why I was asking as he was mentioning something to me that i couldnt bring any photocopied versions so just wanted to double check. thanks guys repped everyone.

Original Poster

numanoids;6010797

Yes this should be fine - my wife's is all online and i got her tax in … Yes this should be fine - my wife's is all online and i got her tax in the post office just fine.Why not do car tax online too? Much easier and as long as you do it with plenty of time to spare, then its all checked through linked systems and only lets you buy the tax if you are insured and have a valid MOT (if needed).

If I do can I still drive the car as its gonna take a couple of days for me to get the road tax in the post?

i got insurance from swift.com who don't send you documents in the post.i simply printed off my computer and took to post office with no problems.

If your old tax has expired then Post Office is your best bet. You might get away with it if you drive while waiting for it to come through but there's no guarantee. There is usually information on the back of the renewal form about that.

sarbjeet_;6010977

If I do can I still drive the car as its gonna take a couple of days for … If I do can I still drive the car as its gonna take a couple of days for me to get the road tax in the post?

yes, you can use your car as normal, because police can check on DVLA database

I had this prob recently. I printed my details off and the post office refused to do it as they said they can only accept the original 'certificate of insurance'. I had to wait another four days for cert to arrive. (Tried to do it online and over the phone but was showing as no insurance, phoned ins company and they said I was but the database is only updated randomly).

I hope you have better luck and sort it :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. CEX return/exchange at different store11
      2. Three connection11
      3. Buy back on Euros to £££45
      4. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay66

See more discussions