Car trade in value and number of keys

Posted 14th Jan
I'm planning to get a new car later this year, just did a detailed quote (listing any damage and faults) through webuyanycar.com to get a rough idea of how much of a trade in I'd get.

I only have one key which works and was curious how much of a difference that makes to the value, amazingly it's over £220 on a car worth around 5.5k.

Would it make a similar difference in trade in value to a dealer? With that sort of difference it'd be probably worth my while ordering a new key now before I sell the car.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Mendoza14/01/2020 19:52

webuyanycar will be emailing you forever, make sure you unsubscribe from …webuyanycar will be emailing you forever, make sure you unsubscribe from the mailing list as for the car, I traded with only one key, as did my brother and dad

It's not the emails that put me off using webuyanycar, it's Philip Schofield.
20 Comments
I traded a car in with only one key once. No one batted an eyelid. Found the other key two years later in a bag of cat litter.
Avoid we buyanycar. Shop around and haggle with garages you wil get more money going else where
Cost of a new key can be very expensive.
webuyanycar will be emailing you forever, make sure you unsubscribe from the mailing list

as for the car, I traded with only one key, as did my brother and dad
I don't know if you can save the quote for a while until your key arrives. But consider how long it may take to come that may give you less value on a new quote should you need one and if you live in London the mayor introduced a scrappage scheme so check it out.

webuyanycar will be emailing you forever, make sure you unsubscribe from …webuyanycar will be emailing you forever, make sure you unsubscribe from the mailing list as for the car, I traded with only one key, as did my brother and dad

It's not the emails that put me off using webuyanycar, it's Philip Schofield.
ndyanem14/01/2020 19:43

Avoid we buyanycar. Shop around and haggle with garages you wil get more …Avoid we buyanycar. Shop around and haggle with garages you wil get more money going else where

I intend to. As I said in my original post the quote was just to get a rough idea of how much of a trade in I would get from a dealer.
Edited by: "spoo" 14th Jan
It depends on the dealer, if you’re part exing to a car supermarket don’t worry, main dealers and tiny car dealers will most likely take a bit off the part ex because of it
When I traded in my car, a BMW 3 series coupe, 2 years ago, no independent garages offered me anymore than webuyanycar. It was good to deal with them and by pure bad luck I got a puncture on the way to drop the car off and arrived with a shredded tyre. They just knocked a few extra quid off but it was no hassle.

It does not surprise me that a lost key is costing you £200 though, they are expensive to replace and nobody wants a car with only one key.
boostii14/01/2020 21:56

When I traded in my car, a BMW 3 series coupe, 2 years ago, no independent …When I traded in my car, a BMW 3 series coupe, 2 years ago, no independent garages offered me anymore than webuyanycar. It was good to deal with them and by pure bad luck I got a puncture on the way to drop the car off and arrived with a shredded tyre. They just knocked a few extra quid off but it was no hassle.It does not surprise me that a lost key is costing you £200 though, they are expensive to replace and nobody wants a car with only one key.

nobody wants a car with only one key - quite a sweeping statement. I’d happily buy a car with only one key, as long as the price is right. It’s just another thing to take into consideration.
You’re statement is like saying no one wants a car with a scratch.
boostii14/01/2020 21:56

When I traded in my car, a BMW 3 series coupe, 2 years ago, no independent …When I traded in my car, a BMW 3 series coupe, 2 years ago, no independent garages offered me anymore than webuyanycar. It was good to deal with them and by pure bad luck I got a puncture on the way to drop the car off and arrived with a shredded tyre. They just knocked a few extra quid off but it was no hassle.It does not surprise me that a lost key is costing you £200 though, they are expensive to replace and nobody wants a car with only one key.

I bought a car with only 1 key just like thousands of other people do.
MonkeyMan9014/01/2020 22:53

I bought a car with only 1 key just like thousands of other people do.

What if you lose it or it stops working for some reason, the inconvenience and expense will be enormous. Why not just buy one with two keys unless you have a super rare car with not many alternatives to buy?
ktm66614/01/2020 22:30

nobody wants a car with only one key - quite a sweeping statement. I’d h …nobody wants a car with only one key - quite a sweeping statement. I’d happily buy a car with only one key, as long as the price is right. It’s just another thing to take into consideration. You’re statement is like saying no one wants a car with a scratch.

Absolutele rubbish, it is quite easy to lose or misplace a key then your entire car becomes an expensive drive ornament. It is in no way like a scratch whatsoever. Everyone here seems nuts, I am going away.
Also it means the previous owner probably has the other key so a major security issue.
jimmy_the_fridge14/01/2020 20:30

It's not the emails that put me off using webuyanycar, it's Philip …It's not the emails that put me off using webuyanycar, it's Philip Schofield.

is that the one when he says , he has my eyes? (after screwing a dog apparently)

that one does my head in
I would say it is a chance you take...get a quote for cost of replacement and choose whether you would rather spend that or roughly £200 or go for the gamble that nothing will be said/noticed. I personally wouldn't buy a car with one key either!
The "we buy" trade in places have already made their money & are likely getting did of the thing asap via "virtual runners" & sold as seen sections of auctions at b.c.a. sites, so likely factored into their algorithm when you enter your details.I
Keys are an increasingly expensive aspect of the car trade.

If one key was for three cars, then I bet it was a Ford key.
boostii14/01/2020 23:27

Absolutele rubbish, it is quite easy to lose or misplace a key then your …Absolutele rubbish, it is quite easy to lose or misplace a key then your entire car becomes an expensive drive ornament. It is in no way like a scratch whatsoever. Everyone here seems nuts, I am going away.

People clearly are nuts.... and I’m looking in your direction! I’ve previously bought a car with only one key, as do many other people, given as you clearly state, it’s easy to loose a key. Whenever I have, I’ve always made sure I that the reduction in the cost of the car either reflects or is more than the price of a new key and I get another key straight away....... it’s as easy as that really.
And as for your point in saying the previous keeper could have kept the key in order to steal the car back, so you have a similar concern when you buy any used car that the previous owner could have had a new key made prior to the sale of the car to steal the car back? Or maybe the first thing you do when you buy a car is replace all the locks and reprogram the cars Ecu?
Thanks for the comments everyone. If I can get a new key for less than around £150 I'll do that, if not I'll trade it in as is.

I do actually still have the second key but the keyless entry and start no longer work (yes I have tried changing the battery), I can open the door with the emergency key in the fob, the alarm then goes off, I put the fob in a slot on the dashboard, the alarm switches off after about 5 seconds and I can then start the car. I fully expect any dealer to treat that the same as not having a second key at all.
Edited by: "spoo" 16th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions