Car tyre pressure

Found 7th Jan 2016
I recently changed the tyres on my car. Previously I had 195/55H15 tyres load index of 85 which had manufacturers recommended tyre pressure of 28 psi. My new tyres are Michelin crossclimate195/55 R15 V (89) XL. When the first garage replaced the back tyres they inflated them to 30 psi. two weeks later I took it to a different garage to get the front done and noticed on the invoice that they had inflated them to 35 psi.

Can anyone tell me what psi I should maintain these tyres at?

Thanks

1. Ask
  2. Car
  3. Tyres
23 Comments

Normally cars are 35 front and 30 back, you usually have a sticker in your door opening that should state the correct pressure,

Original Poster

westy125

Normally cars are 35 front and 30 back, you usually have a sticker in … Normally cars are 35 front and 30 back, you usually have a sticker in your door opening that should state the correct pressure,

The sticker says 28. Does that remain the recommended pressure even though the newer tyres are higher load index and speed rating?

Speaking as a former tyre fitter, for a normal car for everyday use, you can't go wrong with 30 all round. If you carry alot of weight regularly stick 35 in the back. The tyre ratings are irrelevant, pressure needed would still be the same.

will post figures tomorrow from Michelin technical databook.
Pressures are relevant and are set against axle load.
A guess of 30-35 isn't the right way. A tyre fitter would know this as under or over inflation can effect handling, braking and tyre wear.
oO

If you go onto the Kwik Fit website they can tell you the correct tyre pressure

Angelblade

will post figures tomorrow from Michelin technical databook.Pressures are … will post figures tomorrow from Michelin technical databook.Pressures are relevant and are set against axle load. A guess of 30-35 isn't the right way. A tyre fitter would know this as under or over inflation can effect handling, braking and tyre wear. oO

​Yes under or over inflation of 10+ psi either way would cause tyre damage. 99% of manufacturers specifications won't be more than 3 or 4 psi away from 30. In addition, which pressure gauge is accurate?

Python

​Yes under or over inflation of 10+ psi either way would cause tyre d … ​Yes under or over inflation of 10+ psi either way would cause tyre damage. 99% of manufacturers specifications won't be more than 3 or 4 psi away from 30. In addition, which pressure gauge is accurate?

That was a good comeback!

cbryanp

The sticker says 28. Does that remain the recommended pressure even … The sticker says 28. Does that remain the recommended pressure even though the newer tyres are higher load index and speed rating?

​go by what the sticker says, can't go wrong then

Should be a sticker on one of the front door pillars
Either that or should be in the owners handbook

put 30 all round for x load

I've got a mondeo i put in 30 all round with x load tyres if u have 3 in the back plus luggage then maybe 32 33 if not 30 will do no probs

I'd say slightly over inflated is a little better than under-inflated but you want to get as close to the recommended specs as you can. 30psi would probably be ok.

shauneco

I'd say slightly over inflated is a little better than under-inflated but … I'd say slightly over inflated is a little better than under-inflated but you want to get as close to the recommended specs as you can. 30psi would probably be ok.

I would disagree with that. Over-inflated means that you'll have less road contact. Under inflated means more road contact. Yes you'll use marginally more fuel and wear more rubber but much safer IMO.

Check tyre pressure when the tyres are cold.

Python

​Yes under or over inflation of 10+ psi either way would cause tyre d … ​Yes under or over inflation of 10+ psi either way would cause tyre damage. 99% of manufacturers specifications won't be more than 3 or 4 psi away from 30. In addition, which pressure gauge is accurate?

I agree, I'm an ex-mechanic and I used to put about 30psi all round in a standard car, I still do in my own car.

Plus tyre pressures can be 5psi higher in warm tyres, sometimes more so I hope you are doing the pressures from stone cold and as Python says is your gauge calibrated? Is theirs?

You asked for help someone in the know gave you an answer and you challenge their knowledge?

BeerDrinker

I would disagree with that. Over-inflated means that you'll have less … I would disagree with that. Over-inflated means that you'll have less road contact. Under inflated means more road contact. Yes you'll use marginally more fuel and wear more rubber but much safer IMO.

I'm referring to a couple of psi over is better than under, They'd have to be pretty well over-inflated to have that much of an impact, Unlike under-inflated where you'd soon notice your tyres wearing faster.

Sorry, OP. I thought it was you that replied to Python, apologies. The post was aimed at Angel blade.

HondaLad

I agree, I'm an ex-mechanic and I used to put about 30psi all round in a … I agree, I'm an ex-mechanic and I used to put about 30psi all round in a standard car, I still do in my own car.Plus tyre pressures can be 5psi higher in warm tyres, sometimes more so I hope you are doing the pressures from stone cold and as Python says is your gauge calibrated? Is theirs?You asked for help someone in the know gave you an answer and you challenge their knowledge?

It wasnt the OP that was questioning the advice

if i dont know, i also just stick 30-32 in each tyre. but OP is there a specific reason you chose extra load tyres?? this may affect the advice given.Also what car? as weight of car will make a difference also

XL tyres have stiffer sidewalls to cope with heavier cars. The tyre pressure required is based on the weight on each axle.

The XL tyres will just make the ride firmer as there is less give.

You should inflate them to the specification supplied with the car, either on a plate or in the manual.

What car is it and yearbil check for you on autodata

cbryanp

The sticker says 28. Does that remain the recommended pressure even … The sticker says 28. Does that remain the recommended pressure even though the newer tyres are higher load index and speed rating?

What car and year is it il check for you on autodata

pistol6000

It wasnt the OP that was questioning the advice :Dif i dont know, i also … It wasnt the OP that was questioning the advice :Dif i dont know, i also just stick 30-32 in each tyre. but OP is there a specific reason you chose extra load tyres?? this may affect the advice given.Also what car? as weight of car will make a difference also

That's why I wrote the post above yours and apologised.

Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. The car is a 2011 Vw Polo 1.2.

The only reason I went for the XL was that Michelin didn't do a non-XL version in the tyre size I needed. As a side note I would really recommend these tyres.

The car sticker says 28 for both tyres so I suppose the only questions is whether having a higher speed rating and being an XL tyre means I should be increase the pressure at all?

Thanks again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions