Groups

CAR TYRE recommendation - 205 55 r16 91v

Needing 4 x new tyres. Been looking at tyre shopper and 100s of options. What do people recommend? Is there any good discount deals going anywhere else? Type needed is 205 55 r16 91v

My budget is £40-£70 per tyre.

17 Comments

Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 205/55W16 (91) - currently £61 each fitted at KwikFit

I used to run Dunlop BluResponse in that size and rating on my accord before I sold it. Got plenty of milage out of them and they were rock solid.

Good ratings on fuel and wet grip and very quiet. Currently £58 a corner at black circles

Nankang

Nokian!

Put your reg into blackcircles.com and it brings up a range complete with ratings and fully fitted price at your home

One things for sure, don't go cheap. I did and the noise that my tyres give out on motorways is ridiculous, does my head in!

If your near a costco... have a look there. Often some great deals.

Dont skimp on tyres though, thouse 4 x 6 inch contact patches are the only things that are keeping you and your family alive!

The goodyear price above is great, and maybe even be cheaper at kwikfit online.

Halfords online have some good offers on bridgestone. Also you may get tcb or quidco offers too.

tyesinn Leicester has offers brand new from £28 each or fitted at 34.99 each call them on 0116 286 8326 or check them on eBay shop

Are you sure you need a V rated tyre as they're rated upto 149Mph max speed

Original Poster

Thanks peeps. I bought 4 x Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance - 205/55 R16 V (91) for £223.04 at BlackCircles.
    +223 clubcard points through special Tesco offer they have, +1.5% Quidco cashback.

£55.76 is not bad for an energy efficient tyre, A rated for mileage, and B rated for braking.

TyreShopper were about £18 quid more but to be fair they matched BlackCircles. I was going to try and use TS4 or TS5 codes for a £5 discount, but their special link would not allowed that.

So in summary BlackCircles were cheaper to start with, and even after TyreShopper matched them, they still had the extras like clubcard points, cashback and also a fitter on my doorstep, nearest TyresShopper option was 10 miles away.

Original Poster

kester76

Are you sure you need a V rated tyre as they're rated upto 149Mph max … Are you sure you need a V rated tyre as they're rated upto 149Mph max speed

Not essential but its a Nissan elec. Leaf car, and V is the norm and what Nissan fit on new cars (they use top of the range Michelin). Although the car has a programmed max speed limit of 100 (not possible to go faster), it is very powerful and zippy, as fast acceleration as a sports car. I got 35,000 miles from my first set of tyres, that's seems good, so sticking with the V.

noahsdad

Not essential but its a Nissan elec. Leaf car, and V is the norm and what … Not essential but its a Nissan elec. Leaf car, and V is the norm and what Nissan fit on new cars (they use top of the range Michelin). Although the car has a programmed max speed limit of 100 (not possible to go faster), it is very powerful and zippy, as fast acceleration as a sports car. I got 35,000 miles from my first set of tyres, that's seems good, so sticking with the V.

Has you definitely checked to make sure that they're not run flat ?

Nexen nblue. You should manage to get them wellwithin budget i sell heaps of them never had any complaints

Original Poster

kester76

Has you definitely checked to make sure that they're not run flat ?

Yep not run flat. I matched to existing tyres and spec in car handbook. Not sure they are even compatible. Run flat I believe are quite heavy? Heavy tyres on an elec car would be a terrible idea even if you could. I didn't think run flat were very popular either?

noahsdad

Yep not run flat. I matched to existing tyres and spec in car handbook. … Yep not run flat. I matched to existing tyres and spec in car handbook. Not sure they are even compatible. Run flat I believe are quite heavy? Heavy tyres on an elec car would be a terrible idea even if you could. I didn't think run flat were very popular either?

​Safer tyre as they're supported internally by ridge plastic so you wont get a blow out but I've heard you can't repair them. Also you can't swap between them due to different suspension setups. I don't think the weight would be a crazy amount of difference to be honest.

Original Poster

kester76

​Safer tyre as they're supported internally by ridge plastic so you wont g … ​Safer tyre as they're supported internally by ridge plastic so you wont get a blow out but I've heard you can't repair them. Also you can't swap between them due to different suspension setups. I don't think the weight would be a crazy amount of difference to be honest.

Not for a petrol car perhaps, but in a elec car weight is more significant. I got the impression that run flat were popular when they first became available, but people have generally gone off them and they are not favoured so much. I think it is good there are so many choices, options and price points when it comes to tyres now.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Your favourite member of the Labour shadow cabinet is .....33
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553789
      3. Tower Hill Station - Explosion reported.. (Phone charger??)55
      4. Bearded chat1225

See more discussions