Found 17th May 2007
Need 2 new tyres for 10yr old toyota carina.

Would appreciate any pointers on best place / deals. No experience of buying these before, so a bit clueless.

Many thanks in anticipation

1. Ask
  2. Car
  3. Tyres
21 Comments

]BlackCircles or ]Best Buy Tyres I've used before to good effect; all depends on the mileage you do and the price you want to spend. Your local Kwik-Fit will have tyres in all price ranges.

Some will deliver them and fit at home; other just deliver.

The cheapest place is [url]www.tyre-shopper.co.uk[/url]

You pick a local place to get them fitted, price includes valves, fitting, balancing etc !!

I saved £80 on 2 tyres from these guys

Dont touch Kwik Fit, over price and add extra charges when doing your tyres. Look for someone who includes balancing, tyre disposal and new valves as part of the price quoted.

I use a local place and get part worn tyres for £15. Can't complain. My car failed it's MOT on two tyres and the garage wanted £40 a tyre to replace. Just took it to the local garage who charged me £30 for them both. Sailed through it's MOT then.

I'd look in the yellow pages for a small local garage.

Part ones are bad !!!

Never skimp on your tyres, they are the only thing between you and the road.................

Find your best price on budget tyre online, then print it out, take it to Kwik Fit and they'll pricematch for their equivalent budget tyre. Got two tyres from them for £45 and that was for a 3 yr old Mazda.

ChrisUK

The cheapest place is ]www.tyre-shopper.co.ukYou pick a local place to … The cheapest place is ]www.tyre-shopper.co.ukYou pick a local place to get them fitted, price includes valves, fitting, balancing etc !!I saved £80 on 2 tyres from these guys

Thanks Chris, I have just ordered 4 new tyres from this place for a Saturday fitting. £100 cheaper than I was about to pay... rep left

PaulyP

Find your best price on budget tyre online, then print it out, take it to … Find your best price on budget tyre online, then print it out, take it to Kwik Fit and they'll pricematch for their equivalent budget tyre. Got two tyres from them for £45 and that was for a 3 yr old Mazda.

So you've go a three year old car, but purchase budget tyres for it? Sounds like a strange philosophy to me :?

I just brought 2 new mid range tyres for my car buy one get one free total cost £45.

Original Poster

J.Dance

I just brought 2 new mid range tyres for my car buy one get one free … I just brought 2 new mid range tyres for my car buy one get one free total cost £45.

from who.....?

My local ats garage

Just been to Kwik-Fit to get a new tyre. They quoted me £89 for a Continental. I had print out from Blackcircles.com which had the same tyre for £57. Kwik-Fit priced matched it!. I can't believe I've paying full price for the tyres all this time.

Original Poster

Cheers guys. In the end I needed 3 new ones - none replaced for a while. @ £30 each. Basic tyre but not high mileage user so hope they are OK.

Surprised at the cost of tracking £20 extra, says that is why 3 tyres were worn on outside edge (not had tracking done for a long time...)

They said brake fluid was low, and I need new rear brake fluid gasket and shoes plus discs and pads to the front (have noticed a drip at the back) - I wanted to get the front pads done but he said not worth doing them without the discs which were only just borderline on the limit. I thought the new pads would give me a bit longer on the discs - any advice anyone.

I was waiting for them to say I needed shock absorbers as well then I really would have blown my own gasket!!

Car is 10 yrs old now and probably time to replace and upgrade to better one

Think he means rear brake cylinder is leaking....not the gasket. With the front brake discs there is a possibility the discs are geting close to legally minimum thickness,but I'd ask for a second opinion from a actual garage...not just a fast fit tyre place. Toyota Carina's are extremely reliable cars which with a little money spent as expected with a car of it's age....will be good for many thousands of miles. Whereabouts in UK are you?

Original Poster

Cheers
Mchester. Yes its the cylinder and that's what he said. close to legal limit. That's why I thought the new pads would help, or am i wrong. He said they would be too noisy if I did not replace the lot.

iglimpse

CheersMchester. Yes its the cylinder and that's what he said. close to … CheersMchester. Yes its the cylinder and that's what he said. close to legal limit. That's why I thought the new pads would help, or am i wrong. He said they would be too noisy if I did not replace the lot.

Might be that that the discs are scored and/or lipped. Run your fingernail from centre of the disc out to the edge. You'll be able to feel any grooving and possible lip right on the edge. Badly grooved discs won't do new pads much good, bit of a false economy. Get them all seated together at the same time.

Can't see the discs costing much tbh but, as said, a second opinion would be worth a go.

Am impressed at the pricematch, I've a feeling that's one of the most effective ways of getting tyres.

In the 5 years i've perused them I've never found blackcircles to be particularly competitive on the tyres I need, particularly when factoring in the fitting. They may have been in their early days or maybe I'm looking for peculiar tyres, dunno. :?
That's not to say they're not good..i always check them anyway as their special offers are on the ball...just never in the size or make I need!

ChrisUK

Part ones are bad !!!Never skimp on your tyres, they are the only thing … Part ones are bad !!!Never skimp on your tyres, they are the only thing between you and the road.................

Why so?
Was thinking of buying a pair of Dunlops for my Galaxy with 7mm of tread for about 1/4 of the full price off eBay. They are destined for the rear wheels as I'm moving the Michelins forward.

u664541

Why so?Was thinking of buying a pair of Dunlops for my Galaxy with 7mm of … Why so?Was thinking of buying a pair of Dunlops for my Galaxy with 7mm of tread for about 1/4 of the full price off eBay. They are destined for the rear wheels as I'm moving the Michelins forward.

Just FYI, tyres with most tread should go on the back, regardless of FWD/RWD/4WD.

Of course, 7mm may be more than are on the Michelins

Have just found this place:

etyres.co.uk/

They come to you! - seem cheap enough as well 0 only £2 more than other sites I checked for my tyres!

Babbler

Have just found this place:http://www.etyres.co.uk/They come to you! - … Have just found this place:http://www.etyres.co.uk/They come to you! - seem cheap enough as well 0 only £2 more than other sites I checked for my tyres!

I was gonna say these people. COme to you within a couple of days, have a huge range of tyres to choose from.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48810995
    2. Did you know?3157
    3. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games67
    4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247661

See more discussions