Car Warranty - Heated Windcreen

Found 25th Jan 2013
Just wondered if anyone had any idea / advice about this. I bought a 59 plate Focus from the Ford dealer 7 months ago. I also pay for a 2 year mechanical warranty with them, which I took out when I bought the car.
During the cold spell we had over Christmas, it became apparent that the heated front windscreen only works on the driver’s side of the car, with the passenger’s side being completely ineffective.
I took my car into the Ford dealership today and asked the windscreen. Their reply was that it’s not covered under the warranty, and after examining it determined the car needed a new windscreen to fix the issue, which I would be responsible for paying.
When I bought the car, it was under the impression that everything was ‘as new’. I tested as much as I could prior to pruchase– but with it being summer, apart from the light turning on ‘on’ the switch, there’s no way I could have tested the full heated windscreen worked. I never even turned it on until a few weeks ago, so the fault obviously existed when I bought the car – as I say with it being summer there was no way of testing this.
Its not a massive thing, but the heated front windscreen was one of the features that attracted me to the car, and unless I pay for a new windscreen, won’t be able to use properly. Anyone got any advice on how to proceed? Or am I stuck with it?
Community Updates
22 Comments
Check your warranty document.
The warranty is for 'mechanical / inherent' faults with the car and windscreens are not covered under this. But my point was this never worked from when I bought the car, which was sold to me 'as new'
Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance, if yes....hit it with a hammer
slamdunkin

Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance, if yes....hit it with a … Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance, if yes....hit it with a hammer

Read my mind.
How can a 3 year old car be "as new"?
aircanman

Read my mind.

You shouldn't even need to hit it with a hammer. If the windscreen is faulty, which it is, then it should be covered by insurance.

Check the policy and phone insurer's approved windscreen company. They should sort it out.
"as new" in that everything on the car is working the way it should. Poorly worded, sorry.
dimebars

How can a 3 year old car be "as new"?

My brand new mini which I had for 2.5 years went back to the dealer as new when it was part exchanged, not a mark. It is possible when you look after things
Cool, I didnt think of that, it should be covered. I'll check it out. Thanks
RonChew

You shouldn't even need to hit it with a hammer. If the windscreen is … You shouldn't even need to hit it with a hammer. If the windscreen is faulty, which it is, then it should be covered by insurance. Check the policy and phone insurer's approved windscreen company. They should sort it out.

The insurance companies only cover screens due to them being an important part of the car structure, in an accident if the screen fails then it could lead to bigger payouts, so this is damage limitation. They won't cover it for the heating element being faulty.

Chucking a small stone at it really hard will chip it nicely, not that I condone fraud, it's wrong.
If you just chip it they may just repair the chip.
slamdunkin

If you just chip it they may just repair the chip.

Good point, press the screen hard to crack it further.
My wife has exactly the same problem with the screen on her Fiesta.
1. Does it definitely need a new screen or could it be a minor fault, like a fuse or something.
2. If I claimed for a 'cracked' windscreen, would my no claims be affected and would I have to declare it on future policies.

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP
steadyeddie

My wife has exactly the same problem with the screen on her Fiesta.1. … My wife has exactly the same problem with the screen on her Fiesta.1. Does it definitely need a new screen or could it be a minor fault, like a fuse or something.2. If I claimed for a 'cracked' windscreen, would my no claims be affected and would I have to declare it on future policies.Sorry for hijacking your thread OP

Cracked windscreen counts as a claim, but shouldnt affect your no claims bonus, your policy may go up a little though.
steadyeddie

My wife has exactly the same problem with the screen on her Fiesta.1. … My wife has exactly the same problem with the screen on her Fiesta.1. Does it definitely need a new screen or could it be a minor fault, like a fuse or something.2. If I claimed for a 'cracked' windscreen, would my no claims be affected and would I have to declare it on future policies.Sorry for hijacking your thread OP

I dont know about yours, but mine defiantly inst the fuse, first thing I checked. I'd be interested to know about question 2 though
CoffeeMaker

I dont know about yours, but mine defiantly inst the fuse, first thing I … I dont know about yours, but mine defiantly inst the fuse, first thing I checked. I'd be interested to know about question 2 though

I would check where the connections are, there should be at least 2 wires going to the screen, if the whole section is out then it could just be a loose wire or broken connection, which may be able to be fixed.
A windscreen replacement will not affect your insurance premiums!
aircanman

My brand new mini which I had for 2.5 years went back to the dealer as … My brand new mini which I had for 2.5 years went back to the dealer as new when it was part exchanged, not a mark. It is possible when you look after things

" As new " to me means under 100 miles on the clock.
CoffeeMaker

I dont know about yours, but mine defiantly inst the fuse, first thing I … I dont know about yours, but mine defiantly inst the fuse, first thing I checked. I'd be interested to know about question 2 though

The fault will be on the module which is under the black plastic in the centre of your windscreen at the top , this also has the light sensor built in.

They come pre built into the windscreen as far as i'm aware.
Edited by: "transit" 25th Jan 2013
CoffeeMaker

The warranty is for 'mechanical / inherent' faults with the car and … The warranty is for 'mechanical / inherent' faults with the car and windscreens are not covered under this. But my point was this never worked from when I bought the car, which was sold to me 'as new'

I never even turned it on until a few weeks ago

GTFO.
aircanman

My brand new mini which I had for 2.5 years went back to the dealer as … My brand new mini which I had for 2.5 years went back to the dealer as new when it was part exchanged, not a mark. It is possible when you look after things

Don't be silly. It might have been in excellent condition- even immaculate - but it still had over 2 years use on it.
My TV still looks as good as when I bought it but it is still used.
Edited by: "alternate" 26th Jan 2013
I had the same problem on a freelander I bought from quicks. They only give me six month warranty but luck for me I caught the last freeze of March a week after purchasing the vehicle. Took it back and was told the same, it has to be replaced, which they did for me free of charge because it was covered under the warranty. I asked if I could have the invoice ( more to make sure it was done with the warm weather coming and no way to check it properly) to see how much the screen was and if I remember right it was about £260
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions