Car washes used acid on wheels

Found 8th Aug
Just been reading about all the hand car washes using acid on wheels to clean them. Stains plastic and can damage wheels. It's put me off going now. Just wondered what people thought here. Maybe I'll just get my own sponge out again but I hate doing it.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Yeah mentioned this a while ago on this website my uncle had to get alloys refurbished they traced the issue back to local wash only place he’d ever got his new car washed!
Never use them. They also use grit laden cloths and sponges, nice swirly scratches!
I suppose it's the only way these guys can get cars washed quickly - by using very strong products to strip the dirt etc from your car.

My friend works at a car wash and earns a whopping £35 per day. He is also lucky if he gets a 30 minute break each day.
Maybe The guys down my local carwash always wear those plastic gloves - But I think I'll start really worrying when they wear full protective clothing and breathing apparatus .
tastemynuts8th Aug

I suppose it's the only way these guys can get cars washed quickly - by …I suppose it's the only way these guys can get cars washed quickly - by using very strong products to strip the dirt etc from your car.My friend works at a car wash and earns a whopping £35 per day. He is also lucky if he gets a 30 minute break each day.

Cash in hand and signing on?

Defo not legit. Breaks are a legal requirement so is being paid national minimum wage.
Caroline_199327 m ago

Cash in hand and signing on? Defo not legit. Breaks are a legal …Cash in hand and signing on? Defo not legit. Breaks are a legal requirement so is being paid national minimum wage.

He doesn't sign on.

It's the same with a lot of foreign car washes around.

Workers are usually self employed and cash in hand.
Near me they spray the wheel cleaner on the whole car, which strips the wax, car gets dirtier quicker!
cmdr_elito1 h, 20 m ago

Never use them. They also use grit laden cloths and sponges, nice swirly …Never use them. They also use grit laden cloths and sponges, nice swirly scratches!

Been to loads near me, never seen a sponge once. They all use decent wash mitts
I think it depends on how low the ph on the acid is and if you have diamond cut or some other fancy finish. Never had an issue with my cheap alloys and alloy cleaner but I don't hose it down like an animal and leave it on there.
I've had paint took off my last car with those pressure washer's they use. I'd avoid them at all costs.
STRICKIBHOY18 m ago

I've had paint took off my last car with those pressure washer's they use. …I've had paint took off my last car with those pressure washer's they use. I'd avoid them at all costs.

I noticed my wife's car had paint missing after using one of these car washes but the problem was the garage had just covered the small chips with chip repair which just came strait off with a powerful jet wash
Tell the people before hand not to use substances acids apart from jetwash on the alloys . We always ask them not to use anything in wheels on both cars . It helps if you are using the same carwash all the time they do get use to the idea that you don't want your Alloys washing with anything just water
If you car is valuable and you prize it: Wash yourself or in a trusted manual car wash.

If your car is just a piece of equipment to help your daily commuting:
Automated car washes will do fine.

I am in the middle, but I don't have enough free time to do a proper wash on my car.

Near my workplace there are several seagulls. My car gets bombarded every week.
Yep are Astra 2014 got badly damaged .the silver trine around windows went all funny like dull and patchy it had to be replaced which cost £80 a window
aircanman8th Aug

Near me they spray the wheel cleaner on the whole car, which strips the …Near me they spray the wheel cleaner on the whole car, which strips the wax, car gets dirtier quicker!

Its more than likely traffic film remover that removes flies and actually puts wax on the car if not that car wash is just operating wrong and will strip your laquer adventually. I used to be a valeter and used acid on the wheels and windscreen, it gets the almost impossible to remove flies off windscreen easy and never once had it damage a wheel after probably around 3000 cars the trick is getting it back off within 30 seconds. Then use tfr on body which helps to remove flies but isnt that effective so needs a good working to remove them
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 12th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants