Found 4th Jun 2009
..... has anybody had their car welded? If so roughly how much did it cost you? Also where did you get it done? I have a Ford Mondeo and it failed its mot... it needs welding under drivers seat and welding on the door sills. Im just wanting a rough idea on price... so i can then see if its worth mending or not.
Also have no brake pipe the one that runs under fuel tank. Any idea of how much that would cost?
Also need front brake pads and disks. Been quoted £160 for them.... think thats a bit extreame.

edit: engine is misfiring.... the exaust is popping. Got new plugs and leads, fuel filter etc so dont know what else to do.

Thanks for any help.

1. Misc
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Car
18 Comments

assumin thats the back brake pipe then - usually costs £10 ish to shape the pipes, probs charge u tht again to fit it, (assumin ur havin other work done )
the discs and pads will probs costs them about 40ish for trade (guestimatin based on my focus which is basically the same + lookin at the bay) so that is a bit rich. usually £40 per hour, will take the garage hour n half tops. n tht includes a tea break
the welding doesnt sound bad, altho we cant see.

tbh i think £200ish for all the above would be about the max what i would be willing to pay... altho sum1 else may know better

ps.
if you know someone handy enuf u could do the brakes n pipes urself.....

All depends on how much is needed really as what may look like a 1cm hole invariably turns out to be 6 inches. Again, the brake pipe sounds like the solid section so probably expensive. Disks and pads around £60 if you do them yourself. Easy job. How old is the car as mondys are generally worthless anyway.

Original Poster

Robcampo;5404210

assumin thats the back brake pipe then - usually costs £10 ish to shape … assumin thats the back brake pipe then - usually costs £10 ish to shape the pipes, probs charge u tht again to fit it, (assumin ur havin other work done ) the discs and pads will probs costs them about 40ish for trade (guestimatin based on my focus which is basically the same + lookin at the bay) so that is a bit rich. usually £40 per hour, will take the garage hour n half tops. n tht includes a tea breakthe welding doesnt sound bad, altho we cant see. tbh i think £200ish for all the above would be about the max what i would be willing to pay... altho sum1 else may know better :)ps.if you know someone handy enuf u could do the brakes n pipes urself.....

Thanks
its the entire length of brake pipe. whole thing broke off whilst having mot done.... rough handed person. :x was not happy way he beat my car up. Ive taken it to 2 places and they wont do it because they said it has to have fuel tank taken out to replace brake :?

I found a place that sells brake pads and disks for £51.90 so it would be cheap to just pay someone i know to fit them.

Original Poster

Shengis;5404244

All depends on how much is needed really as what may look like a 1cm hole … All depends on how much is needed really as what may look like a 1cm hole invariably turns out to be 6 inches. Again, the brake pipe sounds like the solid section so probably expensive. Disks and pads around £60 if you do them yourself. Easy job. How old is the car as mondys are generally worthless anyway.

the corrosion is only in small patches around 1cm. might get my husband to just fit the disks and pads if its an easy job. its a verrrryyyyy old car. S reg. lol so it is worthless. thats why i wanted to see how much it would cost. if it costs more than my car is worth then i wont bother fixing it. Just good to have a second car that works.

the brake pipe that runs by the fuel tank is very common on the mondeo, means the tank will have to be dropped down to gain access to it, about an hours work + about £10 for the pipe , we charge £48ph.

the welding bit tricky to quote without seeing it, corrosion can sometimes start of as a small area but then turn out to be quite bad after its all cleaned back to decent metal, but this would be the worst case secenaro.

disc & pads about an hour as you have to remove the brake calipers & the brake pad carrier.

how about you buy the bits & get the garage to fit them, we do that now again to save the customer some money.

corriessvk;5404247

Thanksits the entire length of brake pipe. whole thing broke off whilst … Thanksits the entire length of brake pipe. whole thing broke off whilst having mot done.... rough handed person. :x was not happy way he beat my car up. Ive taken it to 2 places and they wont do it because they said it has to have fuel tank taken out to replace brake :?

The tester wouldnt have beaten your car up, ive had the pipe burst whilst carrying out the mot as it corrodes at the top of the tank were we cant see it,so dont be too harsh on the tester & we are only allowed to use a small plastic toffee hammer to assess corrosion.

it is best to make sure the fuel tank is low on fuel as it makes it easier & safer to remove.

Original Poster

richp;5404347

The tester wouldnt have beaten your car up, ive had the pipe burst whilst … The tester wouldnt have beaten your car up, ive had the pipe burst whilst carrying out the mot so dont be too harsh on the tester & we are only allowed to use a small plastic toffee hammer to assess corrosion.it is best to make sure the fuel tank is low on fuel as it makes it easier & safer to remove.

Im not being too harsh. Well we was watching him. Funny how hes also not on the approved mot testing list. This is the first time ive ever had a problem with an mot tester so im bound to be upset. Anyways its failed ... didnt have to pay a penny. (although never got a failure sheet, just got told couldnt finish test thats it)

I Just found out it has another problem.... the man says the engine is misfiring.... the exaust is popping so it would fail its mot. Got new plugs and leads, fuel filter etc so dont know what else to do.

edit: also is it legal to give back a car with no brakes and say "its fine to drive car home but dont take the baby in the car"?? lol

corriessvk;5404386

edit: also is it legal to give back a car with no brakes and say "its … edit: also is it legal to give back a car with no brakes and say "its fine to drive car home but dont take the baby in the car"?? lol

That would be... No :lol:

Check out one of my old fords, it'll make you feel better.... (Before anybody ***** the welding job it was my first attempt and it passed the mot first time pmsl)

http://www.shengis.net/hukdpics/weld1.jpg
http://www.shengis.net/hukdpics/weld2.jpg
http://www.shengis.net/hukdpics/weld3.jpg
http://www.shengis.net/hukdpics/weld4.jpg

The first picture demonstrates the 'iceberg' nature of rust LOL.

Shengis;5404437

That would be... No :lol:Check out one of my old fords, it'll make you … That would be... No :lol:Check out one of my old fords, it'll make you feel better.... (Before anybody ***** the welding job it was my first attempt and it passed the mot first time pmsl)The first picture demonstrates the 'iceberg' nature of rust LOL.

Keeping the old ford alive!:-D

Original Poster

Shengis;5404437

That would be... No :lol:Check out one of my old fords, it'll make you … That would be... No :lol:Check out one of my old fords, it'll make you feel better.... (Before anybody ***** the welding job it was my first attempt and it passed the mot first time pmsl)the first picture demonstrates the 'iceberg' nature of rust LOL.

wow thats really bad... mines no way near that bad. looks like you did a good job on it.

corriessvk;5404386

Im not being too harsh. Well we was watching him. Funny how hes also not … Im not being too harsh. Well we was watching him. Funny how hes also not on the approved mot testing list. This is the first time ive ever had a problem with an mot tester so im bound to be upset. Anyways its failed ... didnt have to pay a penny. (although never got a failure sheet, just got told couldnt finish test thats it)I Just found out it has another problem.... the man says the engine is misfiring.... the exaust is popping so it would fail its mot. Got new plugs and leads, fuel filter etc so dont know what else to do.edit: also is it legal to give back a car with no brakes and say "its fine to drive car home but dont take the baby in the car"?? lol

very strange, he should be on the approved list i would query that !! he should have issued a failure sheet, even though he didnt finish the test, he would have used the abandoned facility on the computer, and also noted on the sheet a dangerous with regards the brakes.

And no he cant stop you driving the car away with dangerous brakes, he can advise you not too, but thats your descision to make.

you do know you can check what your car failed on & what was advised on it, heres a link, you will need your log book & car reg. so at least you can check wether it actually had an mot !

]http//ww…tml

Original Poster

richp;5404582

very strange, he should be on the approved list i would query that !! he … very strange, he should be on the approved list i would query that !! he should have issued a failure sheet, even though he didnt finish the test, he would have used the abandoned facility on the computer, and also noted on the sheet a dangerous with regards the brakes.And no he cant stop you driving the car away with dangerous brakes, he can advise you not too, but thats your descision to make.you do know you can check what your car failed on & what was advised on it, heres a link, you will need your log book & car reg. so at least you can check wether it actually had an mot !]http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/html/home.html

no we said were not going to drive it... but he said that its ok to drive home... basically they didnt want to keep it on their property. Thanks for that link.
Date of test: 29/05/2009
Certificate issue refused (Abandoned)

he wouldnt have actually given it an mot, just done all the mot checks, this way u can then do it urself or whatever without the time constraints, is it 7 days? or not allowed to leave the mot station or whatever it is... plus if he isnt on the approved list, is he allowed to carry one out legally? ( i dont know)

does the car seem to misfire to you? if not then prob them tryin to drum up more work....

take it to a council test station as always advised on mse, they dnt do repairs so usually wont conjour up problems to bump the bill!

your oh will be able to do discs n pads, i think ull need a caliper retractor thingy tho.... is an easy enuf job if u know sum1 with one ( ask on here, ull prb be surprised)

if uv bought the plugs n leads etc n think they need doin ull be able to do tht urself no probs....

as richp said, bout £60 for the brake pipe sounds a good price,
again i recon £200 all in wouldnt be far wrong (how much is the actual mot these days? bout £50?).... go to a diff garage tho for sure.lol

Original Poster

Robcampo;5404774

he wouldnt have actually given it an mot, just done all the mot checks, … he wouldnt have actually given it an mot, just done all the mot checks, this way u can then do it urself or whatever without the time constraints, is it 7 days? or not allowed to leave the mot station or whatever it is... plus if he isnt on the approved list, is he allowed to carry one out legally? ( i dont know)does the car seem to misfire to you? if not then prob them tryin to drum up more work....take it to a council test station as always advised on mse, they dnt do repairs so usually wont conjour up problems to bump the bill!your oh will be able to do discs n pads, i think ull need a caliper retractor thingy tho.... is an easy enuf job if u know sum1 with one ( ask on here, ull prb be surprised)if uv bought the plugs n leads etc n think they need doin ull be able to do tht urself no probs....as richp said, bout £60 for the brake pipe sounds a good price, again i recon £200 all in wouldnt be far wrong (how much is the actual mot these days? bout £50?).... go to a diff garage tho for sure.lol

car did seem to misfire but it seems to be driving better since we changed plugs and leads few weeks ago. but tester says "it sounds like its misfiring so it would fail its emisions test". but thats all he said wouldnt go into anymore detail.

the only thing i have to say is the mot place i had it done wernt trying to drum up more work because they litrually only do MOT's. they dont do services or anything. Its also fantastic as its a NO PASS NO PAY scheme. So basically they dont want you to fail if you know what i mean.

ah rite fair enuf then lolz.
if the cars driving fine i wouldnt worry,
the car prob will pass the emmissions, bang some of that fuel cleaner stuff from halfrauds into it b4 u get it retested, the type that says reduces emmisions b4 test day, google it the bottle prob wont claim it directly....
plus im not sure a misfire would cause it to fail it anyway......depending on when its misfiring (if atall)

ah i know the types of places, ur car needs £50 of 'work' and we will gladly give u this mot certifcate....lol
that explains why not fail papers were given...lol

Original Poster

thanks for all the help. it wont let me give any more rep as i have to spread it round lol. Will give rep for pics, link and all the help when i can. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Robcampo;5404856

ah rite fair enuf then lolz.if the cars driving fine i wouldnt worry, the … ah rite fair enuf then lolz.if the cars driving fine i wouldnt worry, the car prob will pass the emmissions, bang some of that fuel cleaner stuff from halfrauds into it b4 u get it retested, the type that says reduces emmisions b4 test day, google it the bottle prob wont claim it directly....plus im not sure a misfire would cause it to fail it anyway......depending on when its misfiring (if atall)ah i know the types of places, ur car needs £50 of 'work' and we will gladly give u this mot certifcate....lolthat explains why not fail papers were given...lol

lol. i got failure certificate last year though from them. thanks ill have a search for the stuff. they are good though they chalk everything that needs doing so when i take it to a garage to get fixed its staring them in the face and then i know the garage cant take advantage of me lol.

If I was you I'd get to the nearest car auction place, prefferably with someone who can give you a bit of advice - loads of bargains to be had as the bottom has completely dropped out of used cars.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Marmite1823
    2. Krack WiFi vuln1121
    3. UBER can be a waste of money1019
    4. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1216

See more discussions