Car wheel alignment

Found 11th Jul
Wanted some advice regarding wheel alignment. I have a front wheel drive vehicle (VW Golf). Do I need to bother with aligning my rear wheels too? My local garage will charge me £20 for front wheels but can’t do rear wheel alignment. Kwiq fit who do 4 wheel allignment will charge me £160 for the whole lot. Is there any benefit of rear wheel alignment on a front wheel drive vehicle? I
Community Updates
AskHome & LivingCar
17 Comments
I'm no expert , I'm sure one of those will be along soon , but after an interesting meeting with a high kerb a couple of weeks ago ( to let a fire engine through before you judge my driving) , my local garage checked to see if I needed my wheels re aligned for free, and could have done front and back with no problem if needed. Have you had the car checked to see if it's an issue , it took them 5 mins to check mine if that . Surely you must have another garage who can do it for less than £160.
If your tyres are wearing fairly equal and the car tracks straight when driving down the road I would leave everything as it is, some of the young lads at the tyre garages are not always the best at making the correct adjustments, if you really feel it necessary a safer bet would be your local vw group dealer. You may find little difference in cost.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 11th Jul
It the tyres at the back wear evenly across the tread I wouldn't bother. The back only tends to go out of alignment if you slide the back end into something like a curb. The lower power powered golfs have torsion beam suspension which hold their alignment better than the multilink ones.
Many people will say potholes cause alignment issues, which is true but if they are hit that hard they tend to destroy the tyre and or wheel.
Where are you located ? Definitely cheaper places around who can check all 4 tyres.
Ibby18219 m ago

Where are you located ? Definitely cheaper places around who can check all …Where are you located ? Definitely cheaper places around who can check all 4 tyres.

I live in colnbrook. Just near the Heathrow airport
FML 160 for 4 wheel alignment? Is that serious?
My local garage uses HUNTER equipment and charege 50 quid for 4 wheels (toe only)
edentyres.com/whe…spx
mattsk10 m ago

FML 160 for 4 wheel alignment? Is that serious?My local garage uses HUNTER …FML 160 for 4 wheel alignment? Is that serious?My local garage uses HUNTER equipment and charege 50 quid for 4 wheels (toe only)https://www.edentyres.com/wheel-alignment.aspx

For toe only? What about camber does that not cause tyre wear?
I paid £32 for alignment with Tanvic. Got it sorted now but it was tricky as I had a some work done a month earlier to pass mot and it threw everything out.
Had my last mot at kwik fit, was a bargain at £25 and I passed, but it took them 2 hours (I had pre booked by the way) so I won’t go back, they were anything but quick with it
First thing would be to research what adjustment is possible on the rear. Most cars have minimal adjustment possible on the back.

I would want 4 wheel alignment checked on a proper machine, the simple checks that only look at the front can leave you with significant handling problems.

Differences in prices for alignment can often be because on place is charging to check it but will then charge extra for adjustment, while other places include some adjustment in the price. Make sure you know what you're getting - I got stung very badly on this once.
ATS charge £60 for front and rear laser tracking. Try them if there's one in your area.
National have a voucher for 50% off wheel alignment if u have one near by
justanothercid5 h, 0 m ago

National have a voucher for 50% off wheel alignment if u have one near by

That simply indicates a ridiculously overpriced "standard" price.
Kwik fit standard charge for wheel alignment is £60. I’ve had mine done there recently.
Sounds good. Where do I find the voucher?
zirk11th Jul

I wouldnt trust KwikFcuks to change a light bulb on any of my cars.If you …I wouldnt trust KwikFcuks to change a light bulb on any of my cars.If you get stuck give Wheels in Motion a call, they know what there doing, they have various branches around the UK and worth the time of day.

Likewise, if I was doused in Petrol, set alight and screaming like a banshee. I would not believe Kwik Fit if they said I was on fire.

Lying scummy managers enforce dodgy work practices that end up with fraudulent work being done. Been there, printed the T-shirt and has them done.

If your near London, there must be thousands of places to try. A taxi driver would be a good one to ask.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants