Car window tinting

Found 25th Feb 2015
I would like to get my car windows tinted and I'm not sure which type of tinting to go for. I get quite shy when I'm on the spot then I just rush into a decision and so I would like to do my homework before I actually go there.

I have found a company and have been given a reasonable price. He said they do the tinting like the ones that come tinted from the manufacturer. Having no experience of tinted windows I have no idea what that's going to look like.

I just wanted to hear from people who have had their car windows tinted.

I would like something that blocks the sun and gives a good amount of privacy. That's about it really.

So what to go for? What to avoid? Thanks.
Community Updates
AskCarWindows
25 Comments
dont get the front side windows done as it illegal

personally limo black looks horrible, you want a medium tint IMO
Original Poster
deanos

dont get the front side windows done as it illegalpersonally limo black … dont get the front side windows done as it illegalpersonally limo black looks horrible, you want a medium tint IMO

I won't be getting the front windows done just the back windows. Can't have the driver falling asleep in all that shade!
Edited by: "speedy2014" 25th Feb 2015
The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later

The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Tinting rear windscreen and rear windows without tinting the front at all looks ridiculous IMO.
its not illegal to tint the front windows. u can tint them but they have to allow 75% light through. I would personally get the front and back done as it looks odd just having the back done and it won't stop any light hitting the driver. which would be u. alight tint all the way round would be good. have a look on Google images with your car with tints on and then u can decide. the only window u can not tint is the windscreen.
Original Poster
GrantG182

The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on … The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or laterThe front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.Tinting rear windscreen and rear windows without tinting the front at all looks ridiculous IMO.

The first thing I did was check the rules on tinting.
kash2013

its not illegal to tint the front windows. u can tint them but they have … its not illegal to tint the front windows. u can tint them but they have to allow 75% light through. I would personally get the front and back done as it looks odd just having the back done and it won't stop any light hitting the driver. which would be u. alight tint all the way round would be good. have a look on Google images with your car with tints on and then u can decide. the only window u can not tint is the windscreen.

Yes you can, as above. Most people just put a tint fade strip on the top of the front windscreen, bliss in the winter sun!
I haven't had my car tinted by my friend got his tinted in the past. He got his 4 door windows and the rear window too. When he car was due for MOT, he would have failed if they didn't let him off on the condition that he remove the tints on his front 2 windows. As others have mentioned, there are certain rules regarding tints. According to the gov website, for cars after 1985, the front side windows must let in 70% of light and 75% for the front windscreen which means if you get them tinted, they can't be dark. Like basically no tint at all, which looks odd if you have a 5 door car with only the rear half tinted. My friend got his pretty dark. Like almost pitch black and said that he could barely see anything in his rear view mirror at night after the tints which might be worth noting.
Original Poster
dreadzone101

I haven't had my car tinted by my friend got his tinted in the past. He … I haven't had my car tinted by my friend got his tinted in the past. He got his 4 door windows and the rear window too. When he car was due for MOT, he would have failed if they didn't let him off on the condition that he remove the tints on his front 2 windows. As others have mentioned, there are certain rules regarding tints. According to the gov website, for cars after 1985, the front side windows must let in 70% of light and 75% for the front windscreen which means if you get them tinted, they can't be dark. Like basically no tint at all, which looks odd if you have a 5 door car with only the rear half tinted. My friend got his pretty dark. Like almost pitch black and said that he could barely see anything in his rear view mirror at night after the tints which might be worth noting.

That's a good bit of advice there. Thanks!
Original Poster
kash2013

its not illegal to tint the front windows. u can tint them but they have … its not illegal to tint the front windows. u can tint them but they have to allow 75% light through. I would personally get the front and back done as it looks odd just having the back done and it won't stop any light hitting the driver. which would be u. alight tint all the way round would be good. have a look on Google images with your car with tints on and then u can decide. the only window u can not tint is the windscreen.

Thanks
you have 3 diffrent types on tinting btw,
1, infused tint this can only be done when glass is made.
2, baked on tint. good quality and last for a long time if done properly.
3, film tint cheap and usually peals off quite easy.

if you being told that your getting tint that the car manufacturer's use that would involve replacing every window so he's talking mince , so make sure you're getting baked on tint,

getting baked on tint requires removing. the Windows from the car putting them in an oven and putting a tinted laminate sheen on them . for a whole car to be done this way should cost you anywhere between 350 and 650.
if your going for any tint it's worth noting that, car Windows NEED to break in a safe way I,e shatter into thousands of tiny pieces this is to prevent any lacerations, adding tint to your car stops this happenings so adds an added risk
Just flog your car and buy a van.:)
If you don't want to go for limo black tints, dark smoke is usually the next best level (this is what I have). Personally anything less isn't worth it. If your front windows have the etching AS2 on them, then that's the maximum these windows can be tinted legally. Any more, your car will fail the MOT. If stopped by the police, they can prohibit the car from being on the road unless you take the tints off in front of them there and then.

One thing to bear in mind with tints on the rear window, the darker it is the less visibilty you'll have when reversing or seeing behind you.
out of interest what car is the tints going on and how old is it
Original Poster
TrueSID

If you don't want to go for limo black tints, dark smoke is usually the … If you don't want to go for limo black tints, dark smoke is usually the next best level (this is what I have). Personally anything less isn't worth it. If your front windows have the etching AS2 on them, then that's the maximum these windows can be tinted legally. Any more, your car will fail the MOT. If stopped by the police, they can prohibit the car from being on the road unless you take the tints off in front of them there and then.One thing to bear in mind with tints on the rear window, the darker it is the less visibilty you'll have when reversing or seeing behind you.

Did you have yours done or were they already done when you brought the car?
Original Poster
kash2013

out of interest what car is the tints going on and how old is it

The car is a 3 year old Ford focus.
Original Poster
tj19990

you have 3 diffrent types on tinting btw, 1, infused tint this can only … you have 3 diffrent types on tinting btw, 1, infused tint this can only be done when glass is made. 2, baked on tint. good quality and last for a long time if done properly.3, film tint cheap and usually peals off quite easy.if you being told that your getting tint that the car manufacturer's use that would involve replacing every window so he's talking mince , so make sure you're getting baked on tint, getting baked on tint requires removing. the Windows from the car putting them in an oven and putting a tinted laminate sheen on them . for a whole car to be done this way should cost you anywhere between 350 and 650.

From this it seems that I will be getting the film tint. The company has 13 good google reviews and the tints come guaranteed for the length of my ownership of the car....
my focus had factory tints looked very nice , go for identical and will look good
speedy2014

Did you have yours done or were they already done when you brought the … Did you have yours done or were they already done when you brought the car?

I had mine done by a guy in Chadwell Heath, London. They were the tint films. Generally this is what most people will go for. It's the cheaper alternative, at the most will be a couple hundred pounds, and the easiest. No need for windows to be taken out. Usually takes a few hours so you can have it done while you wait. Make sure they take the film to the edge of the windows. Most will do but there some out there that will leave about a 5mm gap. Once done, inspect each window to make sure theres no bubbles or scratches on the film. I've never had a problem with the films, once they're on they're great. They don't deteriorate or peel off, unless someone sits there and picks at it!
Edited by: "TrueSID" 26th Feb 2015
[img]fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hph…jpg?oh=c70888e1bc3580191deeb7c20307d446&oe=55510013&__gda__=1435218508_9be487a85e5d7bc44cf2e256f9e4726d[/img]

I Like my factory tinted windows
Makes the car look so much nicer than standard
Original Poster
TrueSID

I had mine done by a guy in Chadwell Heath, London.

So you chose 'dark smoke'?
How's the visibility when reversing or looking behind through the rear view mirror?
Original Poster
118luke

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/v/t1.0-9/221983_10150546290230084_5726501_n.jpg?oh=c70888e1bc3580191deeb7c20307d446&oe=55510013&__gda__=1435218508_9be487a85e5d7bc44cf2e256f9e4726d[/img]I Like my factory tinted windows :)Makes the car look so much nicer than standard

Your car is lovely too. Diesel?
speedy2014

Your car is lovely too. Diesel?

Yep - 2.0TDCI Zetec with Sports Pack.
Tuned from 140PS to 194PS. 5 and a half years old now and still love it!
speedy2014

So you chose 'dark smoke'?How's the visibility when reversing or looking … So you chose 'dark smoke'?How's the visibility when reversing or looking behind through the rear view mirror?

Yep I chose the dark smoke. I had dark limo in a previous car and seeing out of the rear window at night was a nightmare. The visbility now (through the dark smoke) is absolutely fine. The reason I chose the dark smoke was because I didn't want to go too dark, but dark enough to deter people seeing inside (we have an ISOFIX car seat base in the car). Plus aesthetically looks better, though that is my opinion.
The wife's mini has tints on the back window and the back side Windows, it makes the car dark during the day and doesn't half reduce the visibility at night, looks good tho
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants