Expired

Car Windows Smashed - Frame Slighty Damaged/Dented

Found 20th Oct 2011
Hello,

My car got broken into yesterday, seems like some sort of tool was used so now I have two small dents on the drivers side door and mini window at the back.

Going through insurance with Autoglass, they've stated I'd need the frame sorted or else they wont do it. This way I'd only have had to pay £75 excess and NOT lose my no claims.

However, as there are two dents, I've been told to get the frame back to normal in order for the glass to be fitted. This way, I've been told I'd lose my 2 years no claims discount!

How would I get around this, if I didnt go through insurance and wanted to do it without them.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
MiscCarWindows
15 Comments
If the car is old you could get a spare door from a scrap yard. Failing that work out whether it costs less to fix than your policy excess.
oddballjamie

If the car is old you could get a spare door from a scrap yard. Failing … If the car is old you could get a spare door from a scrap yard. Failing that work out whether it costs less to fix than your policy excess.

issue is he would need to get the frame fixed which is outside of his excess as stated he would also lose no claims.

Id go with Jamies suggestion of a scrapyard though personally then claimnig for the window via your insurance depending on the panel you would end up paying less with no impact.
oddballjamie

If the car is old you could get a spare door from a scrap yard. Failing … If the car is old you could get a spare door from a scrap yard. Failing that work out whether it costs less to fix than your policy excess.

The car is old, I asked Autoglass how much it would cost just for the windows replaced, they said £321!

Thinking of getting the dents removed so I could hopefully get away with paying £75 excess and not losing my no claims.
how bad are the dents pics might help in people advising you?
Sorry to hear that the scum of society did this to your car.

Good luck!
are the dents cosmetic and could you live with them? you said its an old car anyway. If you can diy its easy enough to replace the glass and should cost no more than £15-£20 from breakers yard
Might also just be able to pull the dents out Harlz with a plunger lol without more information we just dont know.
As mentioned above try get a new door from the breakers yard, easy enough to put on.
Nailez

Might also just be able to pull the dents out Harlz with a plunger lol … Might also just be able to pull the dents out Harlz with a plunger lol without more information we just dont know.

I'll try get a pic uploaded within a few hours, got to leave for work at 4pm and want it sorted before then.

Thanks for the help peeps :-)
Went to look for a door to no avail.

Passed by a body repair shop, the lad said the dent aint major and a glass fitted with the slight dent should be fine.

The price I've got for drivers side window and small window at the back is £130 fitted.

If only I met the theif, I could have handed him my £20 amplifier saving me a fortune!
make/model/year of car + pics will help bud
ninj4z

Went to look for a door to no avail.Passed by a body repair shop, the lad … Went to look for a door to no avail.Passed by a body repair shop, the lad said the dent aint major and a glass fitted with the slight dent should be fine.The price I've got for drivers side window and small window at the back is £130 fitted.If only I met the theif, I could have handed him my £20 amplifier saving me a fortune!

I would happily shoot a thief.

Glad you are getting it sorted.
Nailez

Might also just be able to pull the dents out Harlz with a plunger lol … Might also just be able to pull the dents out Harlz with a plunger lol without more information we just dont know.

As he said frame I would imagine that its the part between the door glass and the door opening on the side it catches so dent pulling is not easy on a small area, I would imagine they have pried something into the gap to try and lever the opening enough to reach in by hand or with some type of hook and unlock the car (this fits in with it looking like tool marks), then either they pulled too far and broke the glass or gave up and just smashed the glass to get in. I would also hazard a guess that the dents are into the channel part the window sits in when fully closed and potentialy causing it to foul.
My girlfriend got her back doors smashed in last night, although she isn't writing to her insurance company?
Nah she didn't really I'm lying, I went trhough the front door after trying to negotiate the doors getting smashed in.
Kermit2004

My girlfriend got her back doors smashed in last night.

You are Keith Lemon and I claim my £5.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants