Car windscreen crack repair company advice ??

Found 8th Jan
Hi Can anyone recommend best option for car windscreen repair please thank you

does it effect no claims ??

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

Autoglass, they handle paperwork with your insurance company, you give them the car reg and book an appointment online and youjust pay the policy excess. The no claims bonus is not effected.

Will depend on your policy ,ring your insurer and they will put you in touch with their approved windscreen repairer . You may have to pay the first £25/£50 (it will be stated on your policy) but it will not affect your NCB .
Note if its a big crack in the drivers direct vision it may need a windscreen replacement ,but still will not affect your NCB .

Don't pick your own windscreen repairer as you may not get the cost reimbursed if they are not the repairer of the insurers choice .
Edited by: "rogparki" 8th Jan

You should read your policy. It will clearly state what you’re entitled to and how much it’ll cost.

As others have said it will not impact your NCB but you have to declare it for the next 5 years when requesting future quotations - so remember the date and cost of the repair. Does not make much difference to the quotes you receive but some companies don't quote.

I've had several windscreens replaced over the years and all repairers have always done a very good job. Little more awkward to do in the cold (if you have it done at home or your workplace) as it takes longer for the adhesive to go off.
Edited by: "Van1973" 8th Jan

I had a chip whilst I was 250 miles from home, drove into an Asda car park and found a chip repair guy, he did it and charged it to my insurer. Was great.

If you have anything bigger than a 5p piece it’ll be a new windscreen.

Original Poster

thanks all for comments & advice much appreciated

Van19733 h, 9 m ago

As others have said it will not impact your NCB but you have to declare it …As others have said it will not impact your NCB but you have to declare it for the next 5 years when requesting future quotations - so remember the date and cost of the repair. Does not make much difference to the quotes you receive but some companies don't quote.I've had several windscreens replaced over the years and all repairers have always done a very good job. Little more awkward to do in the cold (if you have it done at home or your workplace) as it takes longer for the adhesive to go off.

Is that true that you have to declare you had a windscreen repaired? I find it hard to believe and wasn't told that by direct line or autoglass when we recently had our chips repaired. Didn't even see it in my policy documents either when I was reading the windscreen cover bit.

adhkarzf8 h, 5 m ago

Is that true that you have to declare you had a windscreen repaired? I …Is that true that you have to declare you had a windscreen repaired? I find it hard to believe and wasn't told that by direct line or autoglass when we recently had our chips repaired. Didn't even see it in my policy documents either when I was reading the windscreen cover bit.

Yes - the question is "have you made ANY insurance claims regardless of fault in the last 5 years". When arranging car insurance online, if you click this box a section opens up which says "Type of Claim" and one of the options is always "Windscreen Damage". This is with all comparison sites as well as on the Insurers direct site.

I know it is minor but it gives the Insurance company an 'out' if it is not declared - should they choose to use it. All claims information is shared in a database between insurers so they can find the details anyway!

As to impacting price I've run quotes on comparison sites without mentioning the claim then run the details again this time including the claim and I found the prices where either identical or just a little increased but did notice that some of the cheaper insurance companies no longer appeared in the list.

Van197352 m ago

Yes - the question is "have you made ANY insurance claims regardless of …Yes - the question is "have you made ANY insurance claims regardless of fault in the last 5 years". When arranging car insurance online, if you click this box a section opens up which says "Type of Claim" and one of the options is always "Windscreen Damage". This is with all comparison sites as well as on the Insurers direct site. I know it is minor but it gives the Insurance company an 'out' if it is not declared - should they choose to use it. All claims information is shared in a database between insurers so they can find the details anyway!As to impacting price I've run quotes on comparison sites without mentioning the claim then run the details again this time including the claim and I found the prices where either identical or just a little increased but did notice that some of the cheaper insurance companies no longer appeared in the list.

I had my windscreen replaced and the option does appear on comparison websites, My insurance company at the time said I didn't need to declare it with them ( Octagon ) but with some companies I guess you do. So it varies, I'd hate for them to refuse a claim because you didn't declare it. Best to be honest.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 9th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants