Car written off

Posted 17th Jul
Has anyone had there car written off and disputed how much there car is worth ? My car is worth £3.5 k as looked at the same make and model around for sale. They are offering me £2.5k can I dispute this ? And also it had full service history but I’ve lost it. Will this make a difference ?
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
yes, it is all part of the negotiation however dont expect the full value.
Never accept the first offer from the insurance. Your best off contacting them and showing them similar cars on sale for the market price
Yeah you can defo negotiate - reference sale prices on auto trader and maybe just run a value check on Evans halshaw etc? See what they would have given...
There is one way to force their hand but you have to be able to "prove" to a judge the value of your car and it took me a year, Esure settled 3 days before the court case, simply to drag it out and make it as unpleasant as possible, nice company to deal with

They will keep repeating the lie that forecourt prices are not sale prices but you have to ignore that.
As the insurance policy falls under consumer law according to the CR Act 2015 any term that is not clearly defined must be interpreted as the one which favours the consumer.
so if two valuations sources of equal respectability differ in value, the highest is the one they must use.
maddogb17/07/2020 13:16

There is one way to force their hand but you have to be able to "prove" to …There is one way to force their hand but you have to be able to "prove" to a judge the value of your car and it took me a year, Esure settled 3 days before the court case, simply to drag it out and make it as unpleasant as possible, nice company to deal with They will keep repeating the lie that forecourt prices are not sale prices but you have to ignore that.As the insurance policy falls under consumer law according to the CR Act 2015 any term that is not clearly defined must be interpreted as the one which favours the consumer.so if two valuations sources of equal respectability differ in value, the highest is the one they must use.

ps this only applies if you are claiming off your insurer.
Yep, dispute it, find images on line within local distance to you, same spec/milage, screenprint then, I sent 3 different ones for my car, and got the to the price I wanted
If you have the time and knowledge you would probably make more stripping the car for parts and selling but its very time consuming and tedious
I have. I disputed and sent across details of other cars of the same make, model and mileage to get a better offer
They give you the market value, not sales value. Unless you have a policy that says otherwise. This is standard procedure.
choccie3217/07/2020 14:31

They give you the market value, not sales value. Unless you have a policy …They give you the market value, not sales value. Unless you have a policy that says otherwise. This is standard procedure.

Wouldn't market value mean what that car is currently worth at the time of claim though? In which case it would be reasonable to compare what the insurance company are offering and what price the equivalent car is going for at dealers etc?
most insurance companies user Parker's guides, so you'll need to find the same car, same spec etc for sale, they'll want a few and send them those to dispute it... Luckily when my father in laws car was written off we got over 1.5K more than we were expecting, just luck of the draw I guess.
I’m in the same boat. Just waiting for it to be categorised

I hope you’re ok.
seatie17/07/2020 15:09

Wouldn't market value mean what that car is currently worth at the time of …Wouldn't market value mean what that car is currently worth at the time of claim though? In which case it would be reasonable to compare what the insurance company are offering and what price the equivalent car is going for at dealers etc?

No market value is the price a dealer would give you for it. It’s but that’s how it is
choccie3217/07/2020 16:33

No market value is the price a dealer would give you for it. It’s b …No market value is the price a dealer would give you for it. It’s but that’s how it is

Oh I see. In that case that's not good at all. Thanks.
I think it depends on the policy.

My car was crashed by a mechanic and the insurer should give forecourt prices for customer’s cars, but for personal cars he would only get trade prices.

We are waiting for the categorisation and then will apply for tax and insurance refunds etc.
fuzed17/07/2020 15:13

most insurance companies user Parker's guides, so you'll need to find the …most insurance companies user Parker's guides, so you'll need to find the same car, same spec etc for sale, they'll want a few and send them those to dispute it... Luckily when my father in laws car was written off we got over 1.5K more than we were expecting, just luck of the draw I guess.

Don't they use the Glasses guide anymore then?

My brother in law is a insurance assessment guy and from what he's trying me it ain't Parker's.

I don't know that why I'm asking....
admiral used Parkers last year, so who knows!
surely the more you get the more if an increase at renewal?
Although the devil is in the detail of any insurance policy, my general understanding of full comprehensive insurance is to put you in a position similar to that you have lost unless you deliberately gave a low valuation of your car to reduce the premium.
Both my wife and I have had cars written off by insurers. One due to an engine fire and the other two by people who decided to drive into us lol! In general their offers were low, however when we pointed out similar ones on EBay and AutoTrader they payed out close enough to those prices. If they think your being greedy make them do the leg work and demonstrate low priced equivalents within a reasonable distance for you to go and buy.
Post a comment
@
    Text