Expired

Car written off.. don't agree with insurance company valuation.

Found 29th Nov 2013
I was involved in a car accident last week and this morning I've been informed that the car is "beyond economical repair". I've been told that my car would have been classed as "fair condition" as it has a few minor scratches around the body work had I been looking to sell it prior to the accident. I'm not sure I totally agree.

The plus points are that it was fully serviced from a main dealer, low mileage (34k for an '08 plate car) and I was the 2nd owner. Granted there were a few faint key marks around the drivers door handle and the wheels although not pristine had a few scuff marks. In addition there was a small scratch around one rear arch, everything else on the car was top condition.

How easy is it to haggle with the insurance company about the price. They've also offered to find a like for like car for me within 7 days. Is that something worth looking at? Any help would be appreciated as I need to get back to them today.
Community Updates
17 Comments
get on autotrader find cars similar to yours in age, condition and trim that support your higher valuation. always haggle
Rich44

get on autotrader find cars similar to yours in age, condition and trim … get on autotrader find cars similar to yours in age, condition and trim that support your higher valuation. always haggle

Thanks Rich.. think thats where I'll get started.
What is the damage?
Front bumper passenger side, all along the passenger side and underneath the engine, think the gearbox cracked open. Total damage is around £5,500. Car is probably worth £4,500 if I was to sell privately.

Its a Nissan Note, interior was in pristine condition, and I even installed the Nissan Connect sat nav system which alone would be worth more. I think as an option Connect cost about £700 at the time if you were to order it when buying the car new.
Yes do as Rich said.
They will ask for proof, you just email/post them over for them to mull over.
From experience they will try to send you the cheque ASAP.
If you don't agree, make the point you DO NOT want to receive any cheque until we have received a compromise.

As sometimes once they have sent it, there is less scope to negotiate.

doritos

Yes do as Rich said.They will ask for proof, you just email/post them … Yes do as Rich said.They will ask for proof, you just email/post them over for them to mull over.From experience they will try to send you the cheque ASAP.If you don't agree, make the point you DO NOT want to receive any cheque until we have received a compromise.As sometimes once they have sent it, there is less scope to negotiate.

Thanks doritos, I'm working through autotrader now and already found 3 examples of same age and lesser spec cars which are priced £1500 more than what I've been offered.
This happened to me to and I eventually got my offer upped by a little over £900 so worth the time it will take. Find any features which made your car rare like the extras, colour, mileage etc then search online, autotrader, online garages and dealers websites are a good place to start and screen shot all the most expensive similar ones and try to show it will be hard to replace with 'like for like'. Mine was yellow and I'd put extras on so couldn't match it for their quote.
Jacksonsmam

This happened to me to and I eventually got my offer upped by a little … This happened to me to and I eventually got my offer upped by a little over £900 so worth the time it will take. Find any features which made your car rare like the extras, colour, mileage etc then search online, autotrader, online garages and dealers websites are a good place to start and screen shot all the most expensive similar ones and try to show it will be hard to replace with 'like for like'. Mine was yellow and I'd put extras on so couldn't match it for their quote.

I've just had the insurance company on the phone again. He's basing his valuation on the glasses guide and what they feel the car would sell for. He's telling me he can't take advertised prices as a guide as obviously the car wouldn't sell for that price. I'm hoping to reach an agreement somewhere between the two. He's also agreed to let me take the old Stereo upgrade (Sat nav) out of the car and replace it with the original which I still have.

Its all confusing and really hoped this would be a simple hand over of money.
Stand firm and good luck. X
Madferrit

[quote=Jacksonsmam] This happened to me to and I eventually got my offer … [quote=Jacksonsmam] This happened to me to and I eventually got my offer upped by a little over £900 so worth the time it will take. Find any features which made your car rare like the extras, colour, mileage etc then search online, autotrader, online garages and dealers websites are a good place to start and screen shot all the most expensive similar ones and try to show it will be hard to replace with 'like for like'. Mine was yellow and I'd put extras on so couldn't match it for their quote.

I've just had the insurance company on the phone again. He's basing his valuation on the glasses guide and what they feel the car would sell for. He's telling me he can't take advertised prices as a guide as obviously the car wouldn't sell for that price. I'm hoping to reach an agreement somewhere between the two. He's also agreed to let me take the old Stereo upgrade (Sat nav) out of the car and replace it with the original which I still have.

Thing is you are not looking to 'sell' your car, but will need to purchase a replacement so surely the advertised prices are relevant ?
hi
I was in the same situation not long ago. The insurance company sent me a settlement quote which i did not agree with, i refused it. Some time later after a few calls with them they upped my settlement price buy £600. Just keep don't agree with the first quote they give you.
gym lougar

Thing is you are not looking to 'sell' your car, but will need to … Thing is you are not looking to 'sell' your car, but will need to purchase a replacement so surely the advertised prices are relevant ?

Thats just it! I think he's very good at being polite and trying to make me see his way. I'm gonna have to stand ground.
carol112

hi I was in the same situation not long ago. The insurance company sent … hi I was in the same situation not long ago. The insurance company sent me a settlement quote which i did not agree with, i refused it. Some time later after a few calls with them they upped my settlement price buy £600. Just keep don't agree with the first quote they give you.

Thanks for the reassurance.. Lets see what he says.
Madferrit

Thats just it! I think he's very good at being polite and trying to make … Thats just it! I think he's very good at being polite and trying to make me see his way. I'm gonna have to stand ground.

Stand your ground, they should pay you what it will cost you to replace the car on a like for like basis.

Good luck.
Don't forget - it's his job to get the best possible deal for the insurance company!
Reject his first couple of offers but accept you are unlikely to get the full replacement cost
Who are you actually dealing with and where did the fault lie for the accident?

Was it you to blame or someone else?
Are you talking to your insurance company, other persons insurance company or a 3rd party accident management company (if this thwn who are they acting for?)?

If the accident wasnt your fault then tell them that you've been advised to contact an accident management company and to get a hire car (yours sounds undriveable) - see if that changes their attitude.
mas99

Who are you actually dealing with and where did the fault lie for the … Who are you actually dealing with and where did the fault lie for the accident?Was it you to blame or someone else?Are you talking to your insurance company, other persons insurance company or a 3rd party accident management company (if this thwn who are they acting for?)?If the accident wasnt your fault then tell them that you've been advised to contact an accident management company and to get a hire car (yours sounds undriveable) - see if that changes their attitude.

The fault lies with me as the other party who had crossed over the line forcing me to brake and go off road didn't stop the car. The insurance company provided me with a hire car the following morning so I've been mobile almost immediately.

I've been onto the phone to the insurance company this morning and settled on getting £400 more than I was originally offered. I should be able to find a similar car within this price and settling now has allowed me to hopefully get it all sorted within the next few days.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants