Groups

caravaning

Hi,
    Hope people can help - as my license does not allow me to tow a caravan however looking at getting one for weekends away. I am thinking of getting a caravan and leaving at a site all year around and then putting into a storeage near to the site. Does anyone have experience of costs on potentially doing this? Hope this makes sense
    Thanks in advance

13 Comments

A full UK licence will allow you to tow a caravan up to a combined weight of car+caravan of 3,500kg. This will let you tow quite a lot of caravans.

Seasonal pitches vary greatly depending on the location and amenities. i.e. if you're happy with a grass pitch in a field without much more than electric hookup, this would be far less than a serviced hard-standing pitch with elec and water, as well as site amenities such as onsite bar/club and shop etc.

If you provide some more information on what you're after, I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions
    Edited by: "BeerDrinker" 5th Sep 2016

Original Poster

hi,
    I passed my test in 2007 looking at various options open to different suggestions just depends on prices that it comes down to to see how it works out. When looking at winter storeage and then leaving it in one site for a period of time

We have one in storage.
    £350/year and they pull it out and put it away for free, whether you're using their site or taking somewhere else.

Pretty standard I believe.

I don't know where you are based but I do the same, I leave it on site all year and can use it for 10 months.
    it's about 2grand but for that we get a hell of a lot use out of it.
    kids love it too

A static caravan could be your answer if you are happy to go back to the same place every time (obviously you would need to do a few dry runs first ( have a holiday in the area or on the park first) . A decent 15 year old sited static can be had for about £5000 ish , or with central heating and double glazing (probably a newer model) for about £10000 .

Site fees (including ground rent ,rates etc ) will be from £1500 per year ( a site with few facilities ) to £4000 to £5000 a year for a Haven or Park resorts sort of park . Gas and electric on top of that .
    vv
    If you would use it a lot possibly worth it (especially if you have other close friends or family members who would use it too -particularly during school holidays when a decent caravan costs £500 -£1000 a week on the Haven sites .

Looked into it but not worth it for us as we prefer out of the School Hols and we can get one for £200 a week in July or September .
    Edited by: "rogparki" 5th Sep 2016

Would the person who downvoted my helpful reply care to man up (or woman up) and justify their down vote ?

No I thought not Why do I bother trying to help members

We sold our caravan to the site owner for £50 to get it off our hands. I would decide where you want to stay and ask the sites in that area if they have any statics or existing caravans they want to sell of long term rent.

Why not look into getting your trailer test then you can make the most of a touring caravan and actually tour

rogparki

Would the person who downvoted my helpful reply care to man up (or woman … Would the person who downvoted my helpful reply care to man up (or woman up) and justify their down vote ? No I thought not Why do I bother trying to help members

​ive voted you back up ...so now your neither helpful or unhelpful lol
    Don't get why people down vote on genuine advise

Depends how much ul use it. For me its better just paying to hire the static we find a mobile one far too small but thats personal choice

maybe worth looking at folding campers?
    i had the same issue, my Pathy has a gvw of 2.8 ton so was limited to 750kg. so i bought a folding camper.
    i may get round to doing my trailer test at some point but at around 500 for training and test(which is the same test as hgv!!!! 1.5hr long)
    im happy for now

Original Poster

that sounds a good idea - please can you send me a link to one similar to yours for me to look into? Many thanks

adamfarmer272

hi,I passed my test in 2007 looking at various options open to different … hi,I passed my test in 2007 looking at various options open to different suggestions just depends on prices that it comes down to to see how it works out. When looking at winter storeage and then leaving it in one site for a period of time

​No it won't if you are a new licence holder, you need a b+e, after 97 I think, otherwise you are only allowed to tow up to 750kg
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Show us your Photos 2017. September's Theme - 'Earth, Wind & Fire'32455
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047204
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767535
      4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941357

See more discussions