Cardyard - safe to use / paypal

Posted 20th Oct
Hi all,

Has anyone used
cardyard.co.uk ?

Considering buying around £200 of gift cards, but not sure what risks are involved.

They accept PayPal but PayPal buyer protection doesn't cover gift card purchases.

However, thinking I could pay by PayPal Credit, would this give me some protection under section 75?

Any other views/advice appreciated
Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Adding PayPal as a payment intermediary will likely break the S75 qualification of debtor-creditor-supplier, unless PayPal is providing a merchant gateway which is unlikely.
AndyRoyd20/10/2019 21:52

Adding PayPal as a payment intermediary will likely break the S75 …Adding PayPal as a payment intermediary will likely break the S75 qualification of debtor-creditor-supplier, unless PayPal is providing a merchant gateway which is unlikely.

Thanks for the reply.

Please note I'm taking about funding the PayPal purchase with PayPal Credit, not a credit card. From what I understand, this means purchases are covered under section 75 as they are providing the credit, just like a credit card would.
phil00120/10/2019 21:55

Thanks for the reply.Please note I'm taking about funding the PayPal …Thanks for the reply.Please note I'm taking about funding the PayPal purchase with PayPal Credit, not a credit card. From what I understand, this means purchases are covered under section 75 as they are providing the credit, just like a credit card would.

I appreciate the potential difference. My understanding (and I will happily stand corrected) is that the PP Credit purchase process results in monies being dumped into the user's PP account and those funds then being used to make the purchase. If the "dumped-into-user's-account" stage is bypassed then I would expect one element of S75 to apply have been satisfied.
Edit:
Looks like the PP Credit payment is direct to supplier (= one element of S75 qualification criteria) and not via the debtor's PP account balance, based on PP Credit process of:
  • At checkout, choose to pay with PayPal
  • Simply change the payment source to PayPal Credit
  • Confirm and Pay
stated beneath "2. How do I select PayPal Credit as my funding source?" at paypal.com/uk/…faq
Edited by: "AndyRoyd" 20th Oct
AndyRoyd20/10/2019 21:58

I appreciate the potential difference. My understanding (and I will …I appreciate the potential difference. My understanding (and I will happily stand corrected) is that the PP Credit purchase process results in monies being dumped into the user's PP account and those funds then being used to make the purchase. If the "dumped-into-user's-account" stage is bypassed then I would expect S75 to apply.

Thanks again, I have no idea if that is the case, I'll do some digging...

Cheers
phil00120/10/2019 22:00

Thanks again, I have no idea if that is the case, I'll do some …Thanks again, I have no idea if that is the case, I'll do some digging...Cheers

There are potential further complications: I don't know how the merchant processes the goods (gift card) but if the merchant is even partly acting as an agent for the seller (the owner of the gift card) then there is zero possibility of S75 applying. There is also the S75 requirement to spend minimum £100 per item, so if a gift card purchased via this supplier otherwise qualifies for S75 then you may need to purchase card denominations of minimum £100 per card.
Actually I don't even think they accept PayPal
Not sure where I thought I saw that as an option.

Credit card probably best option, but I'm not convinced I want to rise that much money with them
Buy it when you're ready to use it
Misslovely21/10/2019 00:02

Buy it when you're ready to use it

yep, cheers, i would do.

i was more worried about the website itself and what protection i had if the gift card didn't work etc
I've used them to buy gift cards, no issues. I sold a gift card and I'm still waiting for payment so I need to chase that up, thanks for the reminder. I posted my gift card on the 11th of October 2019
With so many shops going under/branches closing etc do think carefully about buying gift cards.
1. I sold a card to them and all went smoothly

2. As others have said be aware of the danger of the shop or service going bust before you use the gift card

hope it all works out well.
andrewworrall121/10/2019 09:23

I've used them to buy gift cards, no issues. I sold a gift card and I'm …I've used them to buy gift cards, no issues. I sold a gift card and I'm still waiting for payment so I need to chase that up, thanks for the reminder. I posted my gift card on the 11th of October 2019

Okay, now I have received an email saying my gift card is confirmed and I will be paid within 3 working days. I received this email just as I was about to contact them
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants