Carhire Excess Insurance

Posted 17th Aug 2020
i wondered if anyone has found any carhire excess insurance that is valid with travel to a country that currently has an advise against all but essential travel? I was just about to renew mine and noticed this is excluded (which others may not be aware of) in the policy wording. I normally just have an annual policy every year, as it's much better value. Avis want £220 just for a weeks cover which is more than the cost of hiring the car! Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
No but I haven't looked either

Based on having worked in the industry, here are some simple rules of car rental

> take out A GOOD annual excess cover policy before travel. Always reject local add ons at the desk

> never let the company refill the tank. do it yourself. Look for a fill up point when you leave the hire point so you know where to come back to

> never accept an upgrade on the day. You will often get one anyway

> ALWAYS take time to inspect and video your car on your mobile BEFORE leaving the garage taking extra care to look at tyres/rims. You now have a time stamped record If you can video staff as well, it helps identify time/location. Even little dings matter. Really check paintwork marks out

> ALWAYS take time to video your car on your mobile AFTER returning to the garage taking extra care to look at tyres/rims. You now have a time stamped record This is more important than ever with unattended key drop off locations. If you can video staff as well, it helps identify time/location
Edited by: "ccnp" 17th Aug
Hi thank you for the reply, unfortunately the annual excess policies don't include where travel is made to a foreign country that has a travel restriction and I don't want to pay the over priced carhire company for insurance but all of the excess ones I've read so far exclude where travel is taken against fco advise
I think you will struggle. Advice against travel is usually because of civil unrest, disaster, etc when damage to vehicles will be much more likely. No insurer is going to open themselves up to covering such situations.
Just out of interest is the advise against all but essential travel related to the things that mas99 mentions above, or is it a Covid restriction? I doubt insurers would acknowledge the difference though.
Covid restriction but I think you are right in that they will class it all as one. Yes just called car insurance company and Covid19 means it won't be valid. Interestingly they still tried to sell it me though even though it won't be valid
Edited by: "CCC0071" 17th Aug
CCC007117/08/2020 11:07

Covid restriction but I think you are right in that they will class it all …Covid restriction but I think you are right in that they will class it all as one. Yes just called car insurance company and Covid19 means it won't be valid. Interestingly they still tried to sell it me though even though it won't be valid

Sounds like something Martin Lewis would be interested in, I don't see how an insurance company can penalise people for Covid affected travel.
slimy3117/08/2020 11:42

I don't see how an insurance company can penalise people for Covid …I don't see how an insurance company can penalise people for Covid affected travel.

Of course they can.
Edited by: "chocci" 19th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text