carling cup final (all chat, banter and predictions)

44 replies
Found 22nd Feb 2010
its now less that a week away so lets start the ball rolling with pre match banter.

come on the villa

1. Misc
  2. Carling
44 Comments

Should be a good game I think

Villa off the back of a 5-2 win and hopefully progression to the 6th round of the FA Cup on Wednesday.

Utd without Ferdinand, Nani and Giggs.

Utd off the back of a defeat but will have had a whole week off, which for them is pretty rare.

It will be interesting to see what team Utd play on Sunday, is it important to them? Hopefully they will play a strong squad. I think I'd rather lose to the full team than win against all the reserve players.

Even if Man Yoo play reserve players, the team sheet will be forgotten about a few days or weeks after but Villa's name will still be on the cup.

hunchback;7914391

Even if Man Yoo play reserve players, the team sheet will be forgotten … Even if Man Yoo play reserve players, the team sheet will be forgotten about a few days or weeks after but Villa's name will still be on the cup.

I understand what you are saying but IMO both cup comps have took a nose dive since teams started fielding weaker sides. just leaves a sour taste of victory in my mouth.

greg_68;7914414

I understand what you are saying but IMO both cup comps have took a nose … I understand what you are saying but IMO both cup comps have took a nose dive since teams started fielding weaker sides. just leaves a sour taste of victory in my mouth.

Understandable, teams have no excuses if they field a full strength team.

5-0 man utd ..........

/thread

Banned

less than a week away.........lol

Original Poster

smithyp1;7914543

5-0 man utd ........../thread

typical bluenose comment so bitter about the villa :-D

united will play their full strength team, im certain about that.

will line up (im guessing)

VDS
Rafael Vidic Evans Evra
Valencia Carrick Scholes Fletcher Park
Rooney

going for a 3-1 win to united :-)

Banned

The what cup?

master_chief;7915089

The what cup?

Rumbelows or summat..?

Second only to the Johnstones Paint Trophy.

Banned

Flodd;7915132

Rumbelows or summat..?Second only to the Johnstones Paint Trophy.

That's out of order - the coca-cola cup deserve respect.

Original Poster

not alot of you know too much about football.

over the last 5 finals only 1 side has not been a top side.

over the last 5 years
man utd 2 finals
chelsea 3 finals
arsenal 1 final
liverpool 1 final
spurs 2 final

im sure all the teams fans and players were buzzing about getting to this final so i would not agree the league cup has been better over the last 5 years.

Banned

It's a mild diversion from the seriousness of the league, europe and FA cup.

I have to admit the Carling Cup is a nothing cup, unless you are in the final.

The best test of how important a competition is is to see how many winners over the last few years you can remember. no one remembers Carling cup winners more than 2 seasons back, and unfortunately the FA cup is going the same way. Is it just me or 10-15 years ago you could name the last 10 or so winners.

Banned

greg_68;7915366

I have to admit the Carling Cup is a nothing cup, unless you are in the … I have to admit the Carling Cup is a nothing cup, unless you are in the final.The best test of how important a competition is is to see how many winners over the last few years you can remember. no one remembers Carling cup winners more than 2 seasons back, and unfortunately the FA cup is going the same way. Is it just me or 10-15 years ago you could name the last 10 or so winners.

I agree, both domestic cup competitions are in decline. I think the only supporters/teams affected by the "magic" of the FA cup are those languishing anywhere below the top half dozen teams in the premiership/

master_chief;7915414

I agree, both domestic cup competitions are in decline. I think the only … I agree, both domestic cup competitions are in decline. I think the only supporters/teams affected by the "magic" of the FA cup are those languishing anywhere below the top half dozen teams in the premiership/

Let the FA Cup winners have the 4th European spot, then the 'big teams' would all take it seriously and inject some much needed help..

Banned

lol every cups a nothing cup unless youre in the final.........

silverware is silverware at the end of the day

Banned

greg_68;7915424

Let the FA Cup winners have the 4th European spot, then the 'big teams' … Let the FA Cup winners have the 4th European spot, then the 'big teams' would all take it seriously and inject some much needed help..

Even more fun would be if any of the top 4 teams from the previous season don't make the semi of the current season cup then they lose their European place no matter where they finish. It's pure fantasy but imagine the effort they'd put in then!

Banned

casparwhite;7915472

lol every cups a nothing cup unless youre in the final.........silverware … lol every cups a nothing cup unless youre in the final.........silverware is silverware at the end of the day

Some silverware is better than others though...

Villa to edge it after extra time 3-2 :thumbsup:

casparwhite;7915472

lol every cups a nothing cup unless youre in the final.........silverware … lol every cups a nothing cup unless youre in the final.........silverware is silverware at the end of the day

I don't agree, the Carling Cup is really a nothing Cup and don't go out of my way to watch it (regardless of who is in it). The FA Cup is a little better I will plan to watch it but will not get to bothered if I don't.(regardless of who is in it). The Champions League Final I will watch come hell or high water(regardless of who is in it). .

Original Poster

there are only 3 domestic cups up for grabs take away the prem league(always the same teams in the running) two i think that all the teams in these cups want to win them and its just fans who say the cups are nothing.

if arsenal's want to play there young players so what thats what a squad is for is it not.

just look at what the FA did this season to wolves fining them for not playing there strongest 11 at old trafford thats a joke.

could they fine arsenal for playing a weakend side in the cup if so why not.

its the fans that tarnish the cups.

Original Poster

greg_68;7915609

I don't agree, the Carling Cup is really a nothing Cup and don't go out … I don't agree, the Carling Cup is really a nothing Cup and don't go out of my way to watch it (regardless of who is in it). The FA Cup is a little better I will plan to watch it but will not get to bothered if I don't.(regardless of who is in it). The Champions League Final I will watch come hell or high water(regardless of who is in it). .

but the champions league final could be two teams that are not CHAMPIONS what is the point in that.

a team that comes fourth in there league could win the champions league thats not right for me.

dont get me wrong watching some of the best players and teams agaisnt each other is geat but the whole thing needs a change.

maybe: champions and runners up and 3rd and even fourth league cup.

muffinman_84;7916044

but the champions league final could be two teams that are not CHAMPIONS … but the champions league final could be two teams that are not CHAMPIONS what is the point in that.a team that comes fourth in there league could win the champions league thats not right for me.dont get me wrong watching some of the best players and teams agaisnt each other is geat but the whole thing needs a change.maybe: champions and runners up and 3rd and even fourth league cup.

I couldn't agree more

Champions > ECL
2nd & 3rd Europa league
FA cup wiiners > Cup Winners Cup

Just how it used to be when every cup both European and domestic meant something and were interesting and exciting.

The ECL has killed our domestic cup and on the way to destroying our league too.

Banned

greg_68;7915609

I don't agree, the Carling Cup is really a nothing Cup and don't go out … I don't agree, the Carling Cup is really a nothing Cup and don't go out of my way to watch it (regardless of who is in it). The FA Cup is a little better I will plan to watch it but will not get to bothered if I don't.(regardless of who is in it). The Champions League Final I will watch come hell or high water(regardless of who is in it). .

that your opinion, if people didnt watch it and there was no real interest in it it wouldnt exist

casparwhite;7916122

that your opinion, if people didnt watch it and there was no real … that your opinion, if people didnt watch it and there was no real interest in it it wouldnt exist

didn't watch what? aren't Cup attendances at a low this season?

Banned

!!!COME ON VILLA!!!

my dad has a ticket lucky git!

Banned

greg_68;7916171

didn't watch what? aren't Cup attendances at a low this season?

* Thursday 14th January - Blackburn Rovers v Aston Villa, SKY Sports (20:00)
* Tuesday 19th January - Manchester City v Manchester United, BBC (20:00)
* Wednesday 20th January - Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers, BBC (19:45)
* Wednesday 27th January - Manchester United v Manchester City, SKY Sports (20:00)

i seem to remember the manchester game being quite popular

greg_68;7914341

Should be a good game I thinkVilla off the back of a 5-2 win and … Should be a good game I thinkVilla off the back of a 5-2 win and hopefully progression to the 6th round of the FA Cup on Wednesday.Utd without Ferdinand, Nani and Giggs.Utd off the back of a defeat but will have had a whole week off, which for them is pretty rare.It will be interesting to see what team Utd play on Sunday, is it important to them? Hopefully they will play a strong squad. I think I'd rather lose to the full team than win against all the reserve players.

Ferdinand is no longer suspended so may play, also we are playing West Ham on Wed so havent got the week off.

What a bummer, when did they rearrange that. So tomorrow's match will be Ferdinands 4th match?

Cantona_7;7916554

Ferdinand is no longer suspended so may play, also we are playing West … Ferdinand is no longer suspended so may play, also we are playing West Ham on Wed so havent got the week off.

I think Villa are starting to look a little jaded, the first half against Burnley yesterday was dire.

I'm not feeling to optimistic about this unless one of the West Ham boys can cripple Rooney. He's on fire at the mo & I think he will make the difference.:-(

Hope I'm wrong.

UTV :thumbsup:

Original Poster

i wonder if he will play guzan or friedel.

yes guzan has play or previous games but he has to pick his best side.

guzan has said that o'neil did not give him any gurantees he would play in every game of the cup.

it has to be friedel for me.

muffinman_84;7917388

i wonder if he will play guzan or friedel.yes guzan has play or previous … i wonder if he will play guzan or friedel.yes guzan has play or previous games but he has to pick his best side.guzan has said that o'neil did not give him any gurantees he would play in every game of the cup.it has to be friedel for me.

Tough one that, Friedel undeniably the best but what does that say to Guzan, especially as he had a major hand in our progression.

Give it to Guzan i say.

greg_68;7916630

What a bummer, when did they rearrange that. So tomorrow's match will be … What a bummer, when did they rearrange that. So tomorrow's match will be Ferdinands 4th match?

It was rearranged a few weeks ago i think. No Ferdinand has already served his four match domestic suspension against Arsenal, Portsmouth, A Villa and Everton all in the league so will probably play tomorrow against the hammers. I expect both him and Vidic to play at the weekend provided neither of them get injured/red carded in tomorrow nights match. United will put out full strength side as we have a massive advantage in the Milan game already so not so much need to rest players for midweek. After beating City in the semis they will want to see it off in the final, should be a good match.

Better hope Young, Agbonlahor, Downing & Milner have a good day then. Agree, hope it will be an open end to end match like the Old Trafford match, it would make a change to see a decent final.

Anyone going, went to the previous 2 against Utd and Leeds, can't currently make this one.

Original Poster

yeah im going went to leeds and bolton and chelsea @ wembley first time going to new wembley.

greg_68;7917546

Better hope Young, Agbonlahor, Downing & Milner have a good day then. … Better hope Young, Agbonlahor, Downing & Milner have a good day then. Agree, hope it will be an open end to end match like the Old Trafford match, it would make a change to see a decent final.Anyone going, went to the previous 2 against Utd and Leeds, can't currently make this one.

Will be in Spain unfortunately so will be watching from over there. Went to Wembley last year.

I can't make it this year (gutted) as waiting for a hip replacement. So far have been to Wembley for the following games.

1975 v Norwich
1977 v Everton all 3 games
1994 v Man U
1996 v Leeds
2000 v Chelski

Never seen Villa lose in a League Cup Final. Might be a bad omen me not going then.:cry:

Ps: Friedel for me but bring Guzan on if it goes to pens.

Banned

blobbyrob;7917703

I can't make it this year (gutted) as waiting for a hip replacement. So … I can't make it this year (gutted) as waiting for a hip replacement. So far have been to Wembley for the following games.1975 v Norwich1977 v Everton all 3 games1994 v Man U1996 v Leeds2000 v ChelskiNever seen Villa lose in a League Cup Final. Might be a bad omen me not going then.:cry:Ps: Friedel for me but bring Guzan on if it goes to pens.

Wow.... in the space of one year I went to more.... it was like having a Wembley season ticket!

81 FA Cup
81 FA Cup replay
81 Charity Shield
82 League Cup
82 FA Cup
82 FA Cup replay
82 Charity Shield!

Up the Villa:thumbsup:

greg_68;7914341

Should be a good game I thinkVilla off the back of a 5-2 win and … Should be a good game I thinkVilla off the back of a 5-2 win and hopefully progression to the 6th round of the FA Cup on Wednesday.Utd without Ferdinand, Nani and Giggs.Utd off the back of a defeat but will have had a whole week off, which for them is pretty rare.It will be interesting to see what team Utd play on Sunday, is it important to them? Hopefully they will play a strong squad. I think I'd rather lose to the full team than win against all the reserve players.

Cantona_7;7916554

Ferdinand is no longer suspended so may play, also we are playing West … Ferdinand is no longer suspended so may play, also we are playing West Ham on Wed so havent got the week off.

The West Ham game is actually tomorrow night mate :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. One4all gift cards can only be converted to Amazon codes until MIDNIGHT TON…11
    2. Anyone else bored of video gaming2745
    3. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21132
    4. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games11

See more discussions