Groups

carpet on top of carpet

Is it possible to lay carpet over carpet?

The reason I ask is I'm in a private rented and desperately need to change the hideous carpet in my living room. Only problem is the landlord wants the carpet left as it is. Living room is 2 rooms converted so it's massive and rugs just aren't doing the job. So was wondering if i could just lay a new carpet over the top or will I look silly asking in the shop?

Thanks

30 Comments

Should be fine

Banned

shauneco

Should be fine

How are you going to tack it down without cutting the original carpet?

what a great way to keep your existing carpet in tip top condition

If their carpet is thin yes, not sure how you will keep it secured though without damaging their carpet - you could use duct tape all the way around the edge... Could you take up their old carpet and give it to the landlord to re-lay once you leave?

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

I was going to leave that to the experts, I have no idea how to lay a carpet

I've got five carpets stacked on top of each other, looks great.

May sound silly, but will doors open/close etc if another layer is added?

Original Poster

Mermoo

If their carpet is thin yes, not sure how you will keep it secured though … If their carpet is thin yes, not sure how you will keep it secured though without damaging their carpet - you could use duct tape all the way around the edge... Could you take up their old carpet and give it to the landlord to re-lay once you leave?

I did suggest that, he said he has nowhere to store it, the carpet I have down is so vile I get embarrassed to invite people in.

Original Poster

chuckiedoll

May sound silly, but will doors open/close etc if another layer is added?

It should do, if not I'll get smaller doors X)

YouDontWantToKnow

Double sided tape, Shouldn't damage the carpet that much ;).

Another option might be to take the carpet up and store it somewhere?.

Original Poster

shauneco

Another option might be to take the carpet up and store it somewhere?.

It's 20ft long

It can be done but it's not recommended and since you have an awkward landlord if you move out you face the possibility of getting charged for damage caused to the internal doors which will likely need altering and damage to the existing carpet!

Just get the existing one professionally cleaned?

Carpet on carpet it's always moved to one side it's very hard to stay on same location

my dad owns a carpet trade warehouse that supplies carpet/underlay to the trade
    it is possible and not unheard of.
    the backing of the new carpet could ruin the one underneath. if a drink or something is spilt on the top carpet, could soak through to the carpet underneath.
    putting underlay down underneath to protect the old carpet would be too thick and doors will not close although wouldn't be a problem if you dont want to open/close doors.

he recommended either, covering the carpet with protective sheets and then putting new carpet ontop without underlay.

or take the old one up, wrap it up in protective sheets and store it for when/if you move out and put it back down.

Why not use large mats, you can then take them with you when you leave.

loveszebargains

Is it possible to lay carpet over carpet? The reason I ask is I'm … Is it possible to lay carpet over carpet? The reason I ask is I'm in a private rented and desperately need to change the hideous carpet in my living room. Only problem is the landlord wants the carpet left as it is. Living room is 2 rooms converted so it's massive and rugs just aren't doing the job. So was wondering if i could just lay a new carpet over the top or will I look silly asking in the shop? Thanks

I'd have another polite chat with him and stress that your paying for it, will be leaving it at the end of your tenancy and that you will not lay a carpet without him seeing it prior to laying, by showing him a sample or photo etc, that way the colour choice will be a mutual decision..?

andynicol

I'd have another polite chat with him and stress that your paying for it, … I'd have another polite chat with him and stress that your paying for it, will be leaving it at the end of your tenancy and that you will not lay a carpet without him seeing it prior to laying, by showing him a sample or photo etc, that way the colour choice will be a mutual decision..?

If its horrible then I cant understand the landlords objection.
    Im a landlord and if my tenant wanted to updated the carpet in one of my rooms for free I would be well happy!

OldEnglish

Only 5?

OldEnglish

Only trouble is you hit your head on the ceiling

Original Poster

Caroline_1993

my dad owns a carpet trade warehouse that supplies carpet/underlay to the … my dad owns a carpet trade warehouse that supplies carpet/underlay to the tradeit is possible and not unheard of. the backing of the new carpet could ruin the one underneath. if a drink or something is spilt on the top carpet, could soak through to the carpet underneath. putting underlay down underneath to protect the old carpet would be too thick and doors will not close although wouldn't be a problem if you dont want to open/close doors. he recommended either, covering the carpet with protective sheets and then putting new carpet ontop without underlay.or take the old one up, wrap it up in protective sheets and store it for when/if you move out and put it back down.

Thanks for the great advice, might use the sheeting didn't think of that! Thank your dad for his words of wisdom too

Original Poster

lidds

If its horrible then I cant understand the landlords objection. Im a … If its horrible then I cant understand the landlords objection. Im a landlord and if my tenant wanted to updated the carpet in one of my rooms for free I would be well happy!

He's very awkward, I have grass growing out my guttering that he keeps saying he will sort but hasn't

Original Poster

Gollywood

Just get the existing one professionally cleaned?

I've had it professionally cleaned a few times, it's the design that's an eyesore

Original Poster

lidds

If its horrible then I cant understand the landlords objection. Im a … If its horrible then I cant understand the landlords objection. Im a landlord and if my tenant wanted to updated the carpet in one of my rooms for free I would be well happy!

My tenancy agreement ran out 2 years ago it was only a 6 month one to start with but he just never bothered giving me a new one

Unless you have at least 10mm gaps under your doors, based on the assumption that you do have doors, you won't be able to lay carpet on top of carpet. Besides, you won't be able to put the new carpet under the existing grippers.

Could you just find somewhere else to live with a reasonable landlord?
    Edited by: "Grill" 26th Feb

waterloo

Only trouble is you hit your head on the ceiling

Just keep your fingers crossed that you don't accidentally spill bleach etc on this beautiful, priced carpet

loveszebargains

I did suggest that, he said he has nowhere to store it, the carpet I have … I did suggest that, he said he has nowhere to store it, the carpet I have down is so vile I get embarrassed to invite people in.

you could give neck braces out to visitors so they cant look down

http://www.billferguson.co.uk/images-2013/pro-care-neck-brace.jpg

LOL you can't post about such a hideous carpet and not post a picture for us? I'm quite curious as to how bad it is if you're to embarrassed to invite guests X)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …25104
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767411
      3. Any PS4 News Here29313805
      4. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1917

See more discussions