Carphone Warehouse

Found 5th Jun 2014
Made an online payment to the Carphone Warehouse this afternoon for a present for Saturday.

I paid with my debit card and then went out for a bike ride. When I came back at tea time I had an email saying the payment could not go through could you please contact them.

I rang them and they said that my billing address was different to my delivery address. I said yes because my card is still registered at my parents house from when I was living there and I am getting this item delivered to my address, I have never had this problem before and I make dozens of online payments a month using this card.

They said it has been declined for this reason.

So, they decided that I could get it delivered to my local Carphone Warehouse which I said OK that is fine. (No idea how that is different from getting it delivered to my own home?).

So they tried the transaction over the phone and it came back as declined because my bank had put a block on it.

So I called my bank, they took the block off and while I was there I changed the address to my new address.

I then called the Carphone Warehouse back and told them the block had been taken off so lets get this order pushed through because I need this for Saturday.

They tried again and said that it was still blocked!

I called my bank again and told them what had happened and they told me that a payment had recently gone through to the CPW and everything was clear on the bank side.

So.....yes I know it's a little long winded. Anyway, I called CPW again and explained that the payment had gone through, they told me it had not, nothing was showing and no transaction had taken place. I checked my online bank there and then with them on the phone and the payment had certainly disappeared from my account.

They told me to call my bank again and tell them to recall the payment as it will be in limbo.

So, I called the bank again, asked them to recall the payment but they said they could not do this without authorisation from the companies bank telling them that they will not be processing this payment.

WTF? It is my money and I want the payment cancelled! They said they could not do this and gave me a fax number for CPW to give to their bank so they could fax my bank to cancel the payment.

What a foooking carrying on this is!

So I call CPW AGAIN and told them what my bank told me. The guy got his manager on and I explained to him.

Anyway, he told me there is nothing they can do, I just have to wait for the cash to automatically bounce back to my account.

Oh great, I said, and how long will this take? I am skint and need this for Saturday.

He had no idea how long it will take, probably a few days but with the weekend coming probably next week.

Ugh!

Anyone any idea how long this will take? Anyone been in this situation before?

Also why does it not ask for a billing address and a delivery address the CPW website? If they had told me I can only have this delivered to the billing address then I would have had it delivered to my parents and we would not be in the mess!

What a pathetic company, other sites give you both to fill in, the billing and the delivery address, otherwise they tell you straight up they can only deliver to the billing address.

Also what difference does it make if I get it delivered to a store or an address that is different to a billing address? It just does not make sense!

I a gonna have to get my dad to order now and pay him back when this thins is finally sorted.

What a faff on!
Community Updates
Misc
64 Comments
Wow, I need a beer after reading this..
I needed a beer to type it!

On my 23rd can now!
Edited by: "NEtech" 5th Jun 2014
Why are you buying a new phone if you are skint? You have caused this problem by not changing your address when you moved.
The phone is not for me, it is for my niece for her birthday on Saturday. And I am not skint, I have cash left over for what I need for the rest of the week, just nothing spare to fork out for a new phone.

I did not cause this problem by not changing my address, my parents are a corresponding address which I class as my other home. What if I had changed my address but had this present shipped direct to my brothers home for my nieces birthday? How would that be different?

I would still be in this mess.

Edited by: "NEtech" 5th Jun 2014
Some companies are a pain a like this. It's worse when they won't do anything to sort it out.

This money may bounce back or it may not. If it does, it could be days or weeks. If it doesn't it will just sit in sundry account at CPW. Last time this happened to me, to was with Bargain Crazy and it took seven weeks to sort out.

CPW Finance Department needs to get involved, they can see the money has come in and sitting in a sundry account with no associated transaction, they can then instruct their Bank to return the payment or allow you to use it for a transaction by transferring it to an account for you.

The bouncing of the payment would happen quickly if you were sending money to an invalid account. Since CPW account is quite legitimate, it may not bounce back so easily.

It may well be that you bank has reserved the payment (after a request from CPW) if this is the case, if CPW does not call the payment you should get it back in a few days.

Good luck sorting it out.
tpol

Some companies are a pain a like this. It's worse when they won't do … Some companies are a pain a like this. It's worse when they won't do anything to sort it out.This money may bounce back or it may not. If it does, it could be days or weeks. If it doesn't it will just sit in sundry account at CPW. Last time this happened to me, to was with Bargain Crazy and it took seven weeks to sort out.CPW Finance Department needs to get involved, they can see the money has come in and sitting in a sundry account with no associated transaction, they can then instruct their Bank to return the payment or allow you to use it for a transaction by transferring it to an account for you.The bouncing of the payment would happen quickly if you were sending money to an invalid account. Since CPW account is quite legitimate, it may not bounce back so easily.It may well be that you bank has reserved the payment (after a request from CPW) if this is the case, if CPW does not call the payment you should get it back in a few days.Good luck sorting it out.

Thanks mate, you seem to know what your talking about. I will give it a full week then phone them back to see if I can get through to finance. Hopefully it will have bounced back by then.
Aren't CPW part of the DSG (Dixons) group now?

Good luck getting your money back anytime soon then!
50pEachwayJay

Aren't CPW part of the DSG (Dixons) group now? Good luck getting your … Aren't CPW part of the DSG (Dixons) group now? Good luck getting your money back anytime soon then!

Yup!

theguardian.com/bus…ger
toshapetriji

Why are you buying a new phone if you are skint? You have caused this … Why are you buying a new phone if you are skint? You have caused this problem by not changing your address when you moved.

Agreed.
Transformers

Agreed.

Have you even bothered to read the post? Are you a bit thick?
NEtech

Have you even bothered to read the post? Are you a bit thick?

Am I thick? Oh the irony. X)

It's your fault that you didn't tell the bank that you moved house, and now you're complaining about it. And yes, I did read your long thread. (_;)
And did you read the posts?

What if I had informed the bank of the new address? It would not have made any difference if I had the phone sent straight to my brothers. I would still be in the same situation.

My parents address is also my address, I did not have to change my address with the bank at all.

This is all down to the CWP not informing people that they can only have the items shipped to their billing address.

Also why can you not have the items shipped to another address when you can have them shipped to a store? What is the point of this? It is certainly not a security issue.
Edited by: "NEtech" 6th Jun 2014
NEtech

And did you read the posts?What if I had informed the bank of the new … And did you read the posts?What if I had informed the bank of the new address? It would not have made any difference if I had the phone sent straight to my brothers. I would still be in the same situation.My parents address is also my address, I did not have to change my address with the bank at all. This is all down to the CWP not informing people that they can only have the items shipped to their billing address.Also why can you not have the items shipped to another address when you can have them shipped to a store? What is the point of this? It is certainly not a security issue.

Yes I also read all the comments.

Anyway, I agree that The CPW could implement a different system. Nevertheless, you still should have updated your address with your bank, it's one of the first things you should do when you move house.

Don't you agree OP?
Transformers

Yes I also read all the comments.Anyway, I agree that The CPW could … Yes I also read all the comments.Anyway, I agree that The CPW could implement a different system. Nevertheless, you still should have updated your address with your bank, it's one of the first things you should do when you move house. Don't you agree OP?

I do :-)
I do agree, however it was not really an issue as the old address was still a corresponding address. In fact my driving license has been in that address since the day I passed over 20 years ago.

If I were moving from a house and leaving it empty for a stranger to move in then of course I would change my details, but as it was my parents home and they have lived there for over 40 years I did not feel the need to alter my records.

I have used my card hundreds of times online without an issue, yes some companies tell me I can only have the item delivered to the billing address but that had never been a problem as I just sent it to my parents, however this time things went a bit pear shaped.

To be honest, I never really even thought about updating my bank details to my own address, takes no effort to do so yes I really should have done it because there was no reason not to.

Think I will change my driving license as well, just because I should really. No reason not to.
Edited by: "NEtech" 6th Jun 2014
toshapetriji

Why are you buying a new phone if you are skint? You have caused this … Why are you buying a new phone if you are skint? You have caused this problem by not changing your address when you moved.

why should you change the address when you move, I've not changed mine all the important stuff goes to my parents who have lived at the same address for over 30 years, unlike my address with my 12 month tenancy agreements and the postmen/delivery peoples tendency to to deliver my stuff to downstairs. Besides what about people with a shared front door? My last flat was like that, 21 flats but one front door, all the post got picked up and dumped in a basket in the hallway. My boyfriend had 3 ATM cards go missing in that place until he told his bank to deliver them to his local branch instead.

No if the order form allows you to have a different delivery address to the payment address they should honour it. When I bought my LCD tv years ago online, I had to have it delivered to my parents as it stated that orders over 300 could only be delivered to the card holders address, the system wouldn't allow an alternative for that order. If Carphone warehouse can't get their system sorted in a similar way they should honour a order successfully placed.

I don't know if they do it but plenty of phone companies among others will deliver to your place of work too, that certainly isn't a billing address.
If it's on hold, it should appear back within 7 days. That's how long preauthorisations in my account take. (When the money is in limbo, before the company actually ask for it.).

After that, I'd ring them (and their necks. :p)
NEtech

I do agree, however it was not really an issue as the old address was … I do agree, however it was not really an issue as the old address was still a corresponding address. In fact my driving license has been in that address since the day I passed over 20 years ago.If I were moving from a house and leaving it empty for a stranger to move in then of course I would change my details, but as it was my parents home and they have lived there for over 40 years I did not feel the need to alter my records.I have used my card hundreds of times online without an issue, yes some companies tell me I can only have the item delivered to the billing address but that had never been a problem as I just sent it to my parents, however this time things went a bit pear shaped.To be honest, I never really even thought about updating my bank details to my own address, takes no effort to do so yes I really should have done it because there was no reason not to.Think I will change my driving license as well, just because I should really. No reason not to.

Your driving license should be registered to the the place you live not some place you used to live at. I really don't understand how people think this is OK.

nidirect.gov.uk/kee…ate
toshapetriji

Your driving license should be registered to the the place you live not … Your driving license should be registered to the the place you live not some place you used to live at. I really don't understand how people think this is OK.http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/keeping-your-driving-licence-up-to-date

Well if you have an old paper licence you have to get get a new photocard licence and then renew it every 10 years at £20 a time. I bet half the population with old licences are out of date. OP you have my sympathy.
Edited by: "redhot999" 6th Jun 2014
redhot999

Well if you have an old paper licence you have to pay to get a licence … Well if you have an old paper licence you have to pay to get a licence with a new address. I bet half the population with old licences are out of date. OP you have my sympathy.

Oh that makes it OK then I suppose.
It is a new license, I renewed my photo just last year because they said I was getting old and may look all wrinkly compared to the photo on my old license.

However, I had recently separated from my partner and I was living at my parents then and just renewed it in their address, which is where I was living.

In fact it has always been at their address. I have had points on my license and there was never a problem if my living address was different from the address on my license. For example, my insurance would be in my living address but my license would be at my parents address and I have never had any beef from the police when they pulled me or the DVLA when I had points put on for speeding all those years ago.
hope you get it sorted ,and your niece enjoys her new phone
My dad has just ordered one to go to his house for delivery tomorrow so all is well.

NEtech

My dad has just ordered one to go to his house for delivery tomorrow so … My dad has just ordered one to go to his house for delivery tomorrow so all is well.

yay for your dad, I dont have a drivers license but how can you keep it updated (I bet its not free to update) we are a nation of 6 to 12 month tenancy agreements, people would be having to fill out forms all the time, I can't see how having things signed up to an address thats constantly changing is preferable to that of a close relative that remains static.
Its going to be for security reasons why it can only be sent to the same address or to a store as if you need to go to store to collect you would need to show id and to verify who you are while if you get it delivered to a different address its more open to fraud. As for the payment it may be the bank has autherised the payment but the company hasnt received it in which case it would drop back onto your account or the company can send a request to your back for it to be done sooner.
deleted265520
Cliffs:

OP buys phone online @ CPW
OP doesn't provide correct delivery address
Payment in limbo
Bank and CPW tell OP to wait

Was there any need for such a **** long post lol?
SO...........
i had an issue with paly 3 month ago where my billing address was different to the delivery address and it meant the item i had ordered never got processed.

i also had an issue with the late blockbuster for a payment that went into limbo and you do inddeed have to ring ya bank and send letters to the company stating you want the release of the funds etc.

The thing is, I have been back on the website to make sure I was not at fault and indeed they had warned me that they only post to the cards registered address.

But no, all it says on the checkout is:

Please fill in your delivery adress.

In fact it even states that you can have it delivered to any UK address! WTF?

So all in all, CPW are 100% to blame for this one.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/TaylorSAFC/CPW_zpsd54c4920.png
Error440

...I dont have a drivers license but how can you keep it updated (I bet … ...I dont have a drivers license but how can you keep it updated (I bet its not free to update)...

Changing the name or address on a Driving Licence is free.
deleted265520
NEtech

The thing is, I have been back on the website to make sure I was not at … The thing is, I have been back on the website to make sure I was not at fault and indeed they had warned me that they only post to the cards registered address.But no, all it says on the checkout is:Please fill in your delivery adress.In fact it even states that you can have it delivered to any UK address! WTF?So all in all, CPW are 100% to blame for this one.

You are to blame for making my eyes bleed.
dtovey89

You are to blame for making my eyes bleed.

My pins never left my pocket.

As I've said I've ordered from sites before where it has to be the billing address for whatever reason and its impossible not to know that, the order will not happen otherwise, there will be no alternative address option, it will be grayed out.

I buy weapons, i collect swords and knifes, I have to be checked against the electral roll to make sure I'm over 18, that takes about 3 days, I've used a different delivery address to the payment one for about 5 years now and that is the one they age check, I've never had any site complain about the payment being different to the delivery address when buying something restricted such as a 400 pound sword.

thus its the fault of carphone warehouse, I don't know why people are getting on your case op, but then this is HDUK and thats what happens.

NEtech

The thing is, I have been back on the website to make sure I was not at … The thing is, I have been back on the website to make sure I was not at fault and indeed they had warned me that they only post to the cards registered address.But no, all it says on the checkout is:Please fill in your delivery adress.In fact it even states that you can have it delivered to any UK address! WTF?So all in all, CPW are 100% to blame for this one.

Error440

As I've said I've ordered from sites before where it has to be the … As I've said I've ordered from sites before where it has to be the billing address for whatever reason and its impossible not to know that, the order will not happen otherwise, there will be no alternative address option, it will be grayed out. I buy weapons, i collect swords and knifes, I have to be checked against the electral roll to make sure I'm over 18, that takes about 3 days, I've used a different delivery address to the payment one for about 5 years now and that is the one they age check, I've never had any site complain about the payment being different to the delivery address when buying something restricted such as a 400 pound sword.thus its the fault of carphone warehouse, I don't know why people are getting on your case op, but then this is HDUK and thats what happens.

It is misc after all, I am responsible for sarcastic comments on other peoples posts so I can't complain, that is what I like about this site, never a dull moment.
Error440

As I've said I've ordered from sites before where it has to be the … As I've said I've ordered from sites before where it has to be the billing address for whatever reason and its impossible not to know that, the order will not happen otherwise, there will be no alternative address option, it will be grayed out. I buy weapons, i collect swords and knifes, I have to be checked against the electral roll to make sure I'm over 18, that takes about 3 days, I've used a different delivery address to the payment one for about 5 years now and that is the one they age check, I've never had any site complain about the payment being different to the delivery address when buying something restricted such as a 400 pound sword.thus its the fault of carphone warehouse, I don't know why people are getting on your case op, but then this is HDUK and thats what happens.

No doubt CWH are sick to death of phones 'disappearing' in the postal system and now insist that delivery is made to an address that the electoral register or some other such check recognises as belonging to the card holder. Not really hard to understand OP has caused this problem for themselves. No sympathy required.
deleted265520
Error440

but then this is HDUK and thats what happens.

What is HDUK?

What has the electoral roll got to do with where you credit card is addressed to?, I am on the tenancy, council, tax, utility bills, child benefit, tax credits, electoral roll, nhs records etc here but my credit card, bank and work are all registered as my parents, tho my work has my home phone number here. And when me and my boyfriend had a joint JSA claim they had no complaints about all my bank details being in a different address to his and our registered address.

toshapetriji

No doubt CWH are sick to death of phones 'disappearing' in the postal … No doubt CWH are sick to death of phones 'disappearing' in the postal system and now insist that delivery is made to an address that the electoral register or some other such check recognises as belonging to the card holder. Not really hard to understand OP has caused this problem for themselves. No sympathy required.

Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 6th Jun 2014
Error440

What has the electoral roll got to do with where you credit card is … What has the electoral roll got to do with where you credit card is addressed to?, I am on the tenancy, council, tax, utility bills, child benefit, tax credits, electoral roll, nhs records etc here but my credit card, bank and work are all registered as my parents, tho my work has my home phone number here. And when me and my boyfriend had a joint JSA claim they had no complaints about all my bank details being in a different address to his and our registered address.

credit card, bank and work are all registered as my parents

And this is your problem, it's your mistake.
NEtech

It is misc after all, I am responsible for sarcastic comments on other … It is misc after all, I am responsible for sarcastic comments on other peoples posts so I can't complain, that is what I like about this site, never a dull moment.

At least you've got a good attitude about it OP.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions