Carphone Warehouse can't repair my phone so offering cheaper model as replacement

Posted 11th Mar
My Nokia 7 Plus developed a fault (broken USB-C port) so sent it off via CPW for repair under warranty.
They've now said they cant get the parts (read: not economical to repair as you basically need to destroy the screen to replace the port) so have instead offered me a replacement phone:

Samsung A40
Huawei P30 Lite (don't think it will be the 'New Edition' version)

GSM Arena comparison with Nokia 7 Plus

Neither look great, they are £220 phones vs £350 I paid for the Nokia.
Huawei is the better of the 2, but I'm not keen on the company.

I realise my Nokia is getting on 2 years old and isn't currently worth as much as either of those phones new, but I'd honestly rather have the Nokia repaired but that's not an option. Nokia 7.2 seems the obvious replacement specs wise and is £249 but out of stock at CPW.

Anyone have any experience of negotiating with CPW on their choice of replacements? Or should I take the P30 lite and put on ebay?
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
i would want a phone to the same spec and money, if not get the money back for what you paid for the phone and let them keep your broken one and buy the nokia you like else where
Both crap build quality compared to the Nokia. I wouldn't accept, however I'd have to read the terms, they may say that they are acceptable alternatives because they may use something else as their measure of comparability. Then again carphone warehouse are part of the Dixons Stores Group so be prepared for a battle.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 11th Mar
I would say CPW is fair enough.
If you don't like either of the phone, could you suggest they pay you voucher and you spend on something else?

If you really love Nokia 7 plus that much, CEX selling garde B for £140
@nadnerb : what "warranty" are you referring to, and when did you buy your specific Nokia?
AndyRoyd11/03/2020 11:18

@nadnerb : what "warranty" are you referring to, and when did you buy …@nadnerb : what "warranty" are you referring to, and when did you buy your specific Nokia?

The standard CPW 2 year warranty on all Nokia models. Purchased May 2018, so a few months warranty left.

However, the fault actually started around June 2019, and has steadily got worse (very common issue with this model) I assumed it was a 1 year warranty so I carried on but it's got so bad now it's a battle to get it charged.
I actually took it to a repair place for a quote and the guy said he wouldn't repair it (due to cost of replacing screen just to replace the USB) but said it's probably a 2 year warranty, so went to CPW and they confirmed it is under warranty and sent it off.
Have you spoken to the repair team yourself? If you make a complaint they normally catch on and pay out. I work for CPW and we just yesterday got the value of the phone raised after being unable to repair it.
Twixellzz11/03/2020 11:29

Have you spoken to the repair team yourself? If you make a complaint they …Have you spoken to the repair team yourself? If you make a complaint they normally catch on and pay out. I work for CPW and we just yesterday got the value of the phone raised after being unable to repair it.

Cheers.
I got a SMS this morning saying to call a number which I did and was given the replacement options. I will go instore at lunch to see what they say, or would the number I called likely to be the repair team?
Edited by: "nadnerb" 11th Mar
I would fight it to try and get a Nokia (or see if they'll bump up to a nicer Samsung). You don't have to accept an inferior replacement and shouldn't. If you can, list out the reasons the phones aren't like-for-like.

They would be entitled to only give you a partial cash refund to allow for 18 months of usage which could leave you out of pocket so try to remain good willed with them so they don't decide on falling back to the legal minimum.
nadnerb11/03/2020 11:23

The standard CPW 2 year warranty on all Nokia models. Purchased May 2018, …The standard CPW 2 year warranty on all Nokia models. Purchased May 2018, so a few months warranty left.However, the fault actually started around June 2019, and has steadily got worse (very common issue with this model) I assumed it was a 1 year warranty so I carried on but it's got so bad now it's a battle to get it charged. I actually took it to a repair place for a quote and the guy said he wouldn't repair it (due to cost of replacing screen just to replace the USB) but said it's probably a 2 year warranty, so went to CPW and they confirmed it is under warranty and sent it off.

Respect to CPW for providing unquestioned service after 6months of ownership. "A supplier may assess goods' value in line with natural devaluation" or similar phrase suggests CPW offer is reasonable. Maybe ask if you can add cash to upgrade to something even beyond the N7.2 which may be less costly to obtain a better-spec'd hodel than taking the depreciation hit (& potential scammers) if shifting an unused phone on the bay?
nadnerb11/03/2020 11:38

Cheers.I got a SMS this morning saying to call a number which I did and …Cheers.I got a SMS this morning saying to call a number which I did and was given the replacement options. I will go instore at lunch to see what they say, or would the number I called likely to be the repair team?

If you ring with the store you are likely to get a better result if the colleagues are bothered enough to fight the battle.
AndyRoyd11/03/2020 11:49

Maybe ask if you can add cash to upgrade to something even beyond the N7.2

This is a good idea. Tbh I forgot about the fact that they can take into account depreciation for 18 months' usage. You could have ended up with and older reconditioned phone. Would you be ok with that if the specs were equivalent? If so, just sell the phone they give you and use the cash to buy a reconditioned phones on O2 shop.
AndyRoyd11/03/2020 11:49

Respect to CPW for providing unquestioned service after 6months of …Respect to CPW for providing unquestioned service after 6months of ownership. "A supplier may assess goods' value in line with natural devaluation" or similar phrase suggests CPW offer is reasonable. Maybe ask if you can add cash to upgrade to something even beyond the N7.2 which may be less costly to obtain a better-spec'd hodel than taking the depreciation hit (& potential scammers) if shifting an unused phone on the bay?

I took back a faulty Nokia after13 months and they replaced it with a comparable Huawei.

Quite impressed with the speed & the service of CPW
Edited by: "Gollywood" 11th Mar
Sell the P30 Lite for £160 on ebay. Use the money to get a Nokia 7.2 6GB/128GB, or any other phone that grabs your attention.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 11th Mar
The store weren't very helpful. Looked at the specs of the phones and said they seem reasonable but ultimately up to the repair division of CPW to supply a replacement.

Called them up and they said that's all they can offer me, they said I could actually wait for parts if I wanted (up to 28 days) but no guarantee they will appear (unlikely, it's an old model now).
I reiterated the reasons I wasn't happy with either replacement phones, and asked if I could get credit to put towards another phone but she said no. She said they could do Nokia 6.2 if I wanted a Nokia, but that's the model below. I asked about Nokia 7.2 and she went away for a while and then agreed to replace with this model.

Despite being 2 models newer than the 7 Plus, technically, the specs are worse, but I'm fine with that considering the depreciation over the past 2 years. Might still stick it on eBay and put the cash towards something else.
nadnerb11/03/2020 15:35

...I asked about Nokia 7.2 and she went away for a while and then agreed …...I asked about Nokia 7.2 and she went away for a while and then agreed to replace with this model. Despite being 2 models newer than the 7 Plus, technically, the specs are worse, but I'm fine with that considering the depreciation over the past 2 years. Might still stick it on eBay and put the cash towards something else.

Is the specific 7.2 being offered to you new-in-box or refurb / repaired?
AndyRoyd11/03/2020 15:43

Is the specific 7.2 being offered to you new-in-box or refurb / repaired?

Forgot to ask that, my lunch break had long overrun by the time I got to that point. But instore I did ask that question and he said generally they would be new, they would say if they were refurbs. But who knows!
My brother had the same issue with his 7 plus through EE. Initially they offered him something awful. With some negotiating he managed to get a Samsung S10e, which was pretty good!
Nice, must have been quite a bit of negotiating!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants