carphone warehouse question

8 replies
Found 30th Nov 2016
When pitching from; cpw there are options to buy with new SIM, upgrade or buy SIM free.
I know cpw all phones used to be unlocked but recently read sth that indicates this has changed?
I have an o2 SIM card but don't want to use it to upgrade (as the upgrade is same price as to buy with new sim just extra 10 quid top up) is there a way I can buy it but instead of buying a ten quid top up for new aim just have that ten quid top up applied to my current SIM?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

New sim usually require a top up and come with a SIM card. These are usually cheaper also as the networks sometimes subsidise the price to attract new customers.

Sim free is just the handset

All are sim free regardless.

Original Poster

AStonedRaichu

New sim usually require a top up and come with a SIM card. These are … New sim usually require a top up and come with a SIM card. These are usually cheaper also as the networks sometimes subsidise the price to attract new customers. Sim free is just the handset All are sim free regardless.

OK so no matter what network I select the phone will come unlocked.
And yeah I know about sim free and the payg but my question is instead of paying that ten quid top up for a new o2 sim can't I just pay the ten quid and have the top up applied to my current o2 sim card?

All CPW handsets are sim free except the iphones which lock to the first sim card I think. Apple store iphones are fully unlocked.

Im sure they can apply the credit to your old o2 sim, just ask what you got to lose

mmurdoch

All CPW handsets are sim free except the iphones which lock to the first … All CPW handsets are sim free except the iphones which lock to the first sim card I think. Apple store iphones are fully unlocked.

adding a Three sim to any iphone doesn't lock it to the first sim and therefore is in effect unlocked, lots of discussions on this in the o2 refresh and PAYG threads.

Original Poster

ding

Im sure they can apply the credit to your old o2 sim, just ask what you … Im sure they can apply the credit to your old o2 sim, just ask what you got to lose

Right so I asked a few days ago and was told that the credit cannot be applied to a current sim card it must be a new sim card.
So does that mean when I purchase the phone they will give me a new sim there and then and apply the top up to that sim, as opposed to just a voucher.

I know they used to give you a new sim there and then.

How they apply the credit I'm not sure.

Is there a reason you're sticking to cpw? I presume they're the cheapest regardless of top up?

Original Poster

Just coz their phones come unlocked and I cba hassle of trying to unlock which is fine if easy off ebay but if relying on network provider to do sometimes more hassle
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…4176
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247616
    3. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…46
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3275

See more discussions