Carphone Warehouse refuse to fix 3month old phone..

Found 14th Jan 2013
So I bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on October 25th (As if it wasn't bad enough its broke, the Nexus 4 came out a few days later for the same price I paid)
Around new years, the phone stopped charging unless I applied pressure to the bottom of the USB cable constantly.
So I contacted where I bought the phone from and they told me to return to a CPW store with a Geek Squad agent instore, as they are the repair centres for Samsung phones.

I tracked my repair today and this is what I got:
What's happening now?
We've tried our very best to repair your device. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the fault on your device we were unable to repair it.

That's it, no mention of a replacement or anything, so I googled, and it appears that when charging ports break, companies often refuse to fix it as they class it as physical damage.

So although I've only used the USB cable provided, in the usual fashion, complied with all the fair-use terms under the products warranty....It's my fault it's broke???

What are my options here? please help, thanks!
Community Updates
MisciPhonePhones
12 Comments
contact samsung
If it wasn't deliberate or through force, i would have assumed that because it's under a year old and cannot be repaired then it should be replaced. Although not a telephone my vacumn cleaner blew up on 2/1/13 and only 9mnts old. nI Got it via a KGB Offer, they advised me to contact the merchant, who didn't reply. Luckily i contacted the manufactuerer at the same. We kept missing each as it was expensive to stay on hold and i missed their calls., Anyway once we made contact, it was replaced no problem and i'm awaiting delivery any day now.

Basically what i'm trying to say is, contact Samsung and see what they say, you may have better luck as shops generally don't want to know.
Yup we also class MOST charger breaks as customer damage BUT with the caveat on model.
The Nexus is one of these models that does suffer charger port breakages easily and is one of the models we do not blame the customer.

You should push it more with CPW and find the numerous threads online (such as nexusphoneforums I think) for evidence. It's got a weak link to the board and the solder joints break off easily.
As long as there are no signs of damage to the casing where one could say you tripped on the cable and the phone fell pulling the charger port off... you should be fine.

I would say worst case scenario get it repaired elsewhere but because this is a common issue, there is every chance the solder could break again on a repaired unit whereas a fresh unit or board would last longer (hopefully!)

Also ensure it is not rooted etc as they suggest that voids warranty
Thanks, will contact Samsung directly.
Thanks aj84 for the advice, I read a similar thing with the Xperia X10
aj84, in regards to it being rooted, if that's the reason they haven't repaired, could I remove the root, relock the bootloader and return again?

I did root the device but I would've known to unroot before I returned, although it's possible it slipped my mind.... hope that's not the case.
zckym

aj84, in regards to it being rooted, if that's the reason they haven't … aj84, in regards to it being rooted, if that's the reason they haven't repaired, could I remove the root, relock the bootloader and return again?I did root the device but I would've known to unroot before I returned, although it's possible it slipped my mind.... hope that's not the case.

If they haven't repaired due to it being rooted than they will have logged that against their notes.
Oneday77 is right in saying that - You should be ok but it's just something to bear in mind.

And yes the Xperia and most SE's this day and age suffer from weak solder joints!

If you have issues do let me know (PM if possible) and what I can do is try and find out who the company I do repairs for uses for Samsung repairs. Might provide more insight into the issue/s
Thanks for all your replies.
I have just contacted the CPW Repair centre for more information and they have told me they can't fix it as it isn't a European model.
I purchased the phone from eBay and they assured me before the purchase that the warranty will be covered.
I also contacted the eBay seller before returning to CPW, and they are who told me to return to CPW, and stated that is what they do when they need repairs.

Where do I stand now in regards to returning the phone to the seller and getting a refund? I feel I have lost as I can't imagine the seller helping from this point..
I don't understand how a charger port issue is dependent on where the unit is from but anyway...
Was the seller a private seller or a business seller?

The only thing I can maybe suggest is samsung.com/uk/…ION

Grab a service center and contact them + explain
They may do it under warranty or they may charge a nominal amount which may be worth doing (especially if the repair comes with a warranty)
Cheers aj84, have phoned my nearest and they said it may be covered under warranty but they'd have to open it up first (I assume to see if its pin damage or circuit board damage). He said if it's not covered by warranty it should cost £60-£70 to replace which is much better than buying a new phone altogether.
Hopefully I manage to get it resolved for free, but I certainly won't be buying a phone from eBay again.
Thanks for all your help!
Good luck and do update on how you get on!
And yes that's why they'll open it to check. eBay phones are hit and miss - sometimes you get a cracking deal, other times you get stung like now. Atleast the phone is still repairable be it under warranty or not...there are numerous people who buy phones only to find them reported stolen and then gets blocked.

Anyway digressing - hopefully all will go well!
Rooting doesn't void warranty.
Edited by: "Paddy_o_furniture" 14th Jan 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants