Carphone Warehouse to shut 92 stores amid profits warning / Games Centre also in liquidation

Editor 47
Found 29th May
Another big high street retailer struggling it seems, with 92 standalone stores planned to close this year.

2946712.jpg(Via The Guardian / Pic via BBC)

Dixons Carphone said it will shut 92 Carphone Warehouse standalone stores this year as it grapples with changing consumer habits.

Shares in the group, which have already lost 30% of their value in the past year, tumbled by 20% as it warned profits would fall well below City forecasts this year, at £300m. Analysts had been expecting about £387m.

The group said hard-pressed consumers were holding on to older mobile devices for longer and going “sim-only”, which has dented the group’s performance. But it said no jobs would be lost as staff will be offered the chance to move to larger outlets nearby.

Alex Baldock, who replaced the longstanding chief executive Seb James earlier this year, said: “Right now, with our international business in good shape, we’re focusing early action on the UK.

“In electricals, we’re focused on gross margin recovery. In mobile, we’re stabilising our performance through improvements to our proposition and network agreements.

The group said no jobs would be lost in the closures because staff would be offered the chance to move to larger outlets nearby.

Also announced today, Games Centre is going into liquidation.
(via MCV)

Games Centre, an award-winning independent retailer based in Scotland, has entered liquidation.

The business started in 1992 as a single retail unit, and had grown to encompass eight stores and an online storefront. It's been operating since, running for over 25 years.

This year has seen several retailers scale back their operations or close entirely, with Toys R Us and Grainger Games as just two video game retailers that have shut their doors this year, while several big names on the high street have also scaled back their operations or vanished entirely, with Maplin being one of the biggest casualties. Tesco closed their centralised Tesco Direct delivery service this month too, as retailers start to tighten their belts.

Game Centre was the recipient of seven MCV Awards for Best Independent Retailer, including 2018's award, while managing director and co-founder Robert Lindsay was a consistent presence at many UK games events.

It's been a rough time for UK games retail. Grainger Games closed 67 stores back in March while Cheshire-based online outfit GameSeek closed earlier this month, leaving several customers in the lurch with their purchases.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
When you have one price online and a more expensive price instore, you are bound to lose customers
zworld32 m ago

Everyone's closing down. Soon, it will be Magazin Romanesc or Skelp Poduve …Everyone's closing down. Soon, it will be Magazin Romanesc or Skelp Poduve shops on our high streets!

Or shops which are just giant Amazon lockers...
High street stores are not doing enough to compeat with online prices. GAME will be next to go, way over priced in their stores
Ironically HUKD says ‘it’s another sad day for the high street’ even though they push deals on the internet
47 Comments
When you have one price online and a more expensive price instore, you are bound to lose customers
Toys are us / maplin / Tesco direct / CarphoneWarehouse/ Prezzo / Claire's/
_Enzo_9 m ago

Everyone's closing down. Soon, it will be Magazin Romanesc or Skelp Poduve shops on our high streets!
zworld32 m ago

Everyone's closing down. Soon, it will be Magazin Romanesc or Skelp Poduve …Everyone's closing down. Soon, it will be Magazin Romanesc or Skelp Poduve shops on our high streets!

Or shops which are just giant Amazon lockers...
High street stores are not doing enough to compeat with online prices. GAME will be next to go, way over priced in their stores
Im not surprised to see carphone warehouse going.
WH Smith would probably go too.
andrew.bentley11 m ago

High street stores are not doing enough to compeat with online prices. …High street stores are not doing enough to compeat with online prices. GAME will be next to go, way over priced in their stores

High street stores can never do enough to beat online prices.

Its sad that in a few years time you wont be able to try any of the stuff you buy and when you dont like and return, you will be banned (Reference to Amazon).

Cant think of living in that world.
Like Toys 'r' Us it's another store where people going to look for what they want then go online to find it cheaper
Ironically HUKD says ‘it’s another sad day for the high street’ even though they push deals on the internet
It’s crazy that minimum wage for school leavers can’t get a 2 year contract in retail yet they can’t afford to run high st stores ?? No wonder lol.

I reckon Shop Direct Very/Littlewoods is next and Argos will swallow it up, Sainsbury’s will pay of course and own the supermarket, high st and online as it continues to diversify its offerings even if the ASDA merger stumbles.
_Enzo_3 h, 0 m ago

Jamie's
HellriderUKDeals697 m ago

Jamie's

As in the restaurant?
Edited by: "DeadGrizzly" 29th May
distracted24715 m ago

Im not surprised to see carphone warehouse going.

They are not going dummy. Closing 92 stores.
andrew.bentley44 m ago

High street stores are not doing enough to compeat with online prices. …High street stores are not doing enough to compeat with online prices. GAME will be next to go, way over priced in their stores

Well grainger games has already closed this year.
deleted1431257
andrew.bentley44 m ago

Honestly, I would be partying if GAME went and this time stayed dead. GAME dying would break the monopoly stranglehold they currently hold on exclusivity, and bring increased competition, value and awareness to the masses of uninformed currently too brainwashed to shop around for their games.
deleted143125729th May

Honestly, I would be partying if GAME went and this time stayed dead. GAME …Honestly, I would be partying if GAME went and this time stayed dead. GAME dying would break the monopoly stranglehold they currently hold on exclusivity, and bring increased competition, value and awareness to the masses of uninformed currently too brainwashed to shop around for their games.

Viva La Revolution!
The video game industry tried to prevent the collapse of the high street stores and drive down the initial price of games through a process of disabling the ability to sell on a game 2nd hand. However with this allowing the risk of games staying at a high price and remaining a high price, plus the phasing out of those customer who only spend budget, it was rejected by customers and we still have a thriving 2nd hand market. The flip side, those stores that rely on 1st hand sales suffer and CEX are reaping the benefits. I've seen two Game stores close due to the loss of sales of their 2nd hand stock due to recently opened CEX stores
#sorryfortheessay
Edited by: "Stompin89" 29th May
i blame this bloody government who seems to be doing nothing in the prevention of the collapsing high street. What about all those individuals who become unemployed as a result of these businesses collapsing? How will the people make their money when their is no work around? We live in a terrible time. The internet is destroying this world quite literally. The only thing it's good for in my opinion is access to information to increase ones knowledge.
tonyc05061 h, 35 m ago

They are not going dummy. Closing 92 stores.

I said going not gone. The stores are going.
Also because councils have made it difficult or impossible to park near certain shops in town. Those areas died a death in my town.
Buying online is often cheaper and you have more consumer rights, especially when it comes to returns. Take EE for example, they wont accept a change of mind store return but they legally have to if the same item was bought online.

With regards to Currys, on bigger items stores usually charge for delivery whereas it’s free delivery on their website for the same item plus possible discount codes and cashback.

There are lots of reasons for the high street being in the trouble that it’s in, Amazon with their slave labour, no store overheads and paying little Tax hasn’t helped matters but fact is you’re better off buying online in every respect.
freakstyler13 m ago

Buying online is often cheaper and you have more consumer rights, …Buying online is often cheaper and you have more consumer rights, especially when it comes to returns. Take EE for example, they wont accept a change of mind store return but they legally have to if the same item was bought online. With regards to Currys, on bigger items stores usually charge for delivery whereas it’s free delivery on their website for the same item plus possible discount codes and cashback. There are lots of reasons for the high street being in the trouble that it’s in, Amazon with their slave labour, no store overheads and paying little Tax hasn’t helped matters but fact is you’re better off buying online in every respect.

It's a shame that eventually the high street ships will all eventually go. Replaced by trendy eating out places and the new experience places that will be opening up everywhere soon. It's progress I guess.
freakstyler28 m ago

Buying online is often cheaper and you have more consumer rights, …Buying online is often cheaper and you have more consumer rights, especially when it comes to returns. Take EE for example, they wont accept a change of mind store return but they legally have to if the same item was bought online. With regards to Currys, on bigger items stores usually charge for delivery whereas it’s free delivery on their website for the same item plus possible discount codes and cashback. There are lots of reasons for the high street being in the trouble that it’s in, Amazon with their slave labour, no store overheads and paying little Tax hasn’t helped matters but fact is you’re better off buying online in every respect.

That’s one thing I like about Argos Fasttrack - I bought it online and collect asap.
deleted1431257
Stompin892 h, 24 m ago

The video game industry tried to prevent the collapse of the high street …The video game industry tried to prevent the collapse of the high street stores and drive down the initial price of games through a process of disabling the ability to sell on a game 2nd hand. However with this allowing the risk of games staying at a high price and remaining a high price, plus the phasing out of those customer who only spend budget, it was rejected by customers and we still have a thriving 2nd hand market. The flip side, those stores that rely on 1st hand sales suffer and CEX are reaping the benefits. I've seen two Game stores close due to the loss of sales of their 2nd hand stock due to recently opened CEX stores#sorryfortheessay

And this is the reason for the outrage and reversal of Microsoft’s anti consumer DRM they tried to flog for the Xbox One in 2013 E3, a reputation which tbh they have not recovered from (having sold around 30m Xbox One consoles since, compared to the 80m+ PS4 consoles, and the Switch projected (and very likely) to surpass the Xbox One total in less than two years of release).
Banned
I wish someone would open up an online coffee delivery service, that way hopefully some of those mundane high street coffee shops would close!
andrew.bentley4 h, 34 m ago

I expected Game to be long gone. Poor service, over priced products and this stupid tax (increased price) for picking up in-store over ordering online... Like wtf??
fes375 h, 33 m ago

i blame this bloody government who seems to be doing nothing in the …i blame this bloody government who seems to be doing nothing in the prevention of the collapsing high street. What about all those individuals who become unemployed as a result of these businesses collapsing? How will the people make their money when their is no work around? We live in a terrible time. The internet is destroying this world quite literally. The only thing it's good for in my opinion is access to information to increase ones knowledge.

Lol, ranting on the internet about the internet....
The decline of capitalism
Harlon_Haveland12 h, 58 m ago

Ironically HUKD says ‘it’s another sad day for the high street’ even thoug …Ironically HUKD says ‘it’s another sad day for the high street’ even though they push deals on the internet

The bigger irony is an editor posted this thread. Despite there being an almost identical thread that’s been running for weeks.
Carphone Warehouse is now owned by Dixons Stores Group as is Currys. I don't shop at any DSG owned business and I'm not alone. This might have something to do with it.
andrew.bentley15 h, 24 m ago

Maybe they just can't compete with high street rents, business rates and the rest.
IBadAss13 h, 8 m ago

Also because councils have made it difficult or impossible to park near …Also because councils have made it difficult or impossible to park near certain shops in town. Those areas died a death in my town.

Very true. I don't shop locally at all. I go to the next borough which is quite near to me snd have a free Sainsburys car park where I do all my food shopping, I then at the same time go to the local shops put everything in the car and go back home. 2 hours free parking is what does it for me which we don't have locally.
HellriderUKDeals6916 h, 28 m ago

WH Smith would probably go too.

Not while we have no food education class in school. So yeah can’t see that happening for a long time...hopeless parties. All that highlyprofitable confectionery.
vanityfair1 h, 24 m ago

Very true. I don't shop locally at all. I go to the next borough which is …Very true. I don't shop locally at all. I go to the next borough which is quite near to me snd have a free Sainsburys car park where I do all my food shopping, I then at the same time go to the local shops put everything in the car and go back home. 2 hours free parking is what does it for me which we don't have locally.

It’s a multi tax parking - pay car/VAT, pay road TAX, pay fuel TAX, pay insurance TAX, pay income TAX, pay Council TAX —> pay council parking, it should be abolished, the central funded money should be spent on free high car parks not parking staff wages/pensions and a means to make more money for the councils.

Let the traffic police deal with yellow line etc offenders. A illegal road action should not be dealt with by glorified council workers. In this age it’s easy for anyone to take pics and send to the police so even if they move before police can arrive they can still be fined, start better fines going straight into public car park development/s.

You can’t easily get parked in my area for the shops but the independent shops are thriving as we have told most the nationals to get to F when planning permission is sought, thus we lack enough parking that the council want to do permits but people here again are not permitting the council that means to make money like a national company lol.
sarkymark18 h, 51 m ago

Decline ? More like less competition more cartels, Hotpoint (Whirlpool) own more brands than your digits, Electrolux the same, they are all at it. The problem with the high street is too much of the bricks is owned by other in/national companies, if councils had properties cheap like their industrial estates many people would not be in “benefits” poverty and could invest in themselves and bring the high st alive again, but don’t expect a politician to know basic common sense how council decisions impact national bodies costs. In house fighting between gov bodies when they all want to think logically - it all comes from the same source.
Edited by: "seaniboy" 30th May
Very hard for goods shops to compete as their rentals are competing with coffee shops, estate agents, betting shops, fast food and charity shops in the High Street.
sarkymark19 h, 53 m ago

The rise, big fish eats little fish, this is called inequality of capitalism, bigger Anglo-Saxon capitalised ones eat up the lesser capitalists.

In contrast to the German Mittelstand capitalism, as it is "...much more of an ethos and a fundamental disposition of how one acts and behaves in society."

When one walks in the German high street, one does not see half a street or more taken up by big global brands, coffee shops, estate agents, betting shops, fast food and charity shops; one sees lots of smaller product retail shops.

I heard it on national radio that phone consumers are not replacing their phones as often as before and buy more SIM only deals. How could debt-ridden country nationals keep on replacing hardware with new every 12- 18 months?!
Edited by: "splender" 30th May
Shops are paying more rates to subsidise empty units and charity shops. Add onto that the rise in minimum wages and the fact that most large online companies offshore their corporation taxes to the likes of Luxembourg and you'll see why the high street is failing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants