Carrera crossfire 2 good for commute

Posted 31st Jan
Hi, I’m looking to buy my first bike and I’m in my 30s and never ridden a bike on the road. I’m still learning but I want to know from people who has experience is the Carrera crossfire 2 good for commute to work? Also are they flexible as I don’t want mess around with chain and brakes often as I’m newbie.

Appreciate any suggestions
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
I'm not a cycling fanatic. I own a Crossfire and enjoy riding it. Reasonable price and have had no issues with it. Massive improvement on my old bike, but tht was 20 years old!
If you are commuting by road and don't want maintenance then the crossfire 2 wouldn't be high on my list - the cheap suspension fork for a start adds weight, adds complexity and adds maintenance.

On fork front something rigid is more appropriate for roads - if you want cushioning you aim for wider tyres albeit they then have greater rolling resistance. Its sibling the crossfire 1 is the rigid form although if you can stretch further the Voodoo Marasa is on offer at the moment and is a step up in a number of ways.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 31st Jan
I would avoid halfords carrera range, friend recently purchased one and has had nothing but issues.

What is your budget?

How hilly is your area?
Edited by: "mogsog" 31st Jan
mogsog31/01/2020 08:39

I would avoid halfords carrera range, friend recently purchased one and …I would avoid halfords carrera range, friend recently purchased one and has had nothing but issues.What is your budget?How hilly is your area?

Hi, my budget is between £150 - 300
And my road to work is flat which is very nice
happyman198231/01/2020 09:04

Hi, my budget is between £150 - 300And my road to work is flat which is …Hi, my budget is between £150 - 300And my road to work is flat which is very nice

Perfect, I think this will be great for you.

chainreactioncycles.com/mob…084

Nice and flat so 3 speed hub gears will be fine, very low maintenance. Don't think more gears is better. More gears is more to go wrong.

Hydraulic disc brakes also mean years of maintenance free use before a pad or bleed is required.

Internally geared hubs are great for keeping grime off the gears as they are sealed units.
mogsog31/01/2020 10:02

Perfect, I think this will be great for you. …Perfect, I think this will be great for you. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-dee-vr-city-bike-2019/rp-prod173084Nice and flat so 3 speed hub gears will be fine, very low maintenance. Don't think more gears is better. More gears is more to go wrong.Hydraulic disc brakes also mean years of maintenance free use before a pad or bleed is required.

Thanks for the details but it’s out of stock
happyman198231/01/2020 10:50

Thanks for the details but it’s out of stock

Sorry about that, the 2020 is in stock but its over budget by 120. I'll find you another.
mogsog31/01/2020 11:14

Sorry about that, the 2020 is in stock but its over budget by 120. I'll …Sorry about that, the 2020 is in stock but its over budget by 120. I'll find you another.

Appreciate it mate 🏼
Generally the two big factors that'll determine whether you like it are whether you find the bike comfortable (geometry, seat, handlebars etc.) and how easy it is to pedal.

While there are lots of factors that go into the second one, two of the biggest would be getting tyres appropriate for the road and making sure the gear ratios suit.

With tyres you want to avoid anything that's kobbly all the way across the tyre. The center of the tyre should be fairly smooth or with a light texture.

If you're travelling on the flat then you want gear ratios that go nice and high so you can keep up a good speed. Much like in a car on the motorway you want to be comfortably turning the pedals when you come up against the speed limit of wind resistance, rather than revving furiously.

The number of gears doesn't determine ratios, it's the size of the cogs. So a bike with 24 gears can have a higher or lower top gear than one with 27 gears.
Bertz9931/01/2020 08:37

If you are commuting by road and don't want maintenance then the crossfire …If you are commuting by road and don't want maintenance then the crossfire 2 wouldn't be high on my list - the cheap suspension fork for a start adds weight, adds complexity and adds maintenance. On fork front something rigid is more appropriate for roads - if you want cushioning you aim for wider tyres albeit they then have greater rolling resistance. Its sibling the crossfire 1 is the rigid form although if you can stretch further the Voodoo Marasa is on offer at the moment and is a step up in a number of ways.

couldn't agree more, although i would probably avoid disc brakes if i was a newbie and wanting to do basic self maintenance.
happyman198231/01/2020 11:28

Appreciate it mate 🏼

If minimum maintenance is a main priority then consider a single speed. This one you can ride fixed gear and single speed freewheel.

If I'm honest the more gears you have on a sub £300 bike the more drive train quality you'll loose. I've had the equivalent of this below bike for 10 years now and being a city commuter would never go back to full rear dérailleur gears.

I know it seems like a mad thing to do buying a bike with 1 gear as a first time rider but it isn't. Many people just buy geared bikes because of the expectation that more is better but everything comes at a price and usually overall quality is sacrificed for the sake of unnecessary gears.

Maintenance is also stupid easy and a visit to the bike shop probably won't be required for a long time.

Riding with 1 gear is actually great on flat for a first time rider because changing down gears isn't a concern. All too often new riders change to the highest gear only to neglect to change down at the lights and then suffer pulling off.

parkersofbolton.co.uk/pro…s=r

I also found a £329 single speed with discs and mudguards but it's over budget. Let me know if you want to see it.

Also let me know if single speed is something you would entertain given your flat commute.
Personal opinion
Got one from Halfords, for work.
Great bike, is you sit upright so good for road traffic, if not used to it.
Should be low maintenance apart from punctures.
Just take to local bike repair shop for brakes.
Possible idea invest in a rack so not carrying bag on back
FreeDeal31/01/2020 13:04

Personal opinionGot one from Halfords, for work.Great bike, is you sit …Personal opinionGot one from Halfords, for work.Great bike, is you sit upright so good for road traffic, if not used to it.Should be low maintenance apart from punctures.Just take to local bike repair shop for brakes.Possible idea invest in a rack so not carrying bag on back

Any suggestions on which rack to choose?
Just Google panier bike rack.
Make sure it fits hybrid bike.
Panier bags too
Not the cheapest. But much better when cycling in summer.
Obviously get lights too. Nothing stopping you having rear light on even when light
Hint. Flashing is more noticeable then constant. Same with front light
How far are you cycling? How fit are you? Are you going to cycle in poor weather or just good weather? Are there any steep or long gradual hills or is it really mostly flat? How much do you need to carry?

Personal opinionGot one from Halfords, for work.Great bike, is you sit …Personal opinionGot one from Halfords, for work.Great bike, is you sit upright so good for road traffic, if not used to it.Should be low maintenance apart from punctures.Just take to local bike repair shop for brakes.Possible idea invest in a rack so not carrying bag on back

Don't know when you got it, but check if it's been recalled. You might get a new one.

hotukdeals.com/dis…739
FreeDeal31/01/2020 13:55

Just Google panier bike rack.Make sure it fits hybrid bike.Panier bags …Just Google panier bike rack.Make sure it fits hybrid bike.Panier bags tooNot the cheapest. But much better when cycling in summer.Obviously get lights too. Nothing stopping you having rear light on even when lightHint. Flashing is more noticeable then constant. Same with front light

mogsog31/01/2020 12:17

If minimum maintenance is a main priority then consider a single speed. …If minimum maintenance is a main priority then consider a single speed. This one you can ride fixed gear and single speed freewheel. If I'm honest the more gears you have on a sub £300 bike the more drive train quality you'll loose. I've had the equivalent of this below bike for 10 years now and being a city commuter would never go back to full rear dérailleur gears. I know it seems like a mad thing to do buying a bike with 1 gear as a first time rider but it isn't. Many people just buy geared bikes because of the expectation that more is better but everything comes at a price and usually overall quality is sacrificed for the sake of unnecessary gears. Riding with 1 gear is actually great on flat for a first time rider because changing down gears isn't a concern. All too often new riders change to the highest gear only to neglect to change down at the lights and then suffer pulling off. https://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/products/viking-urban-myth-gents-700c-wheel-fixie-bike?_pos=5&_sid=bd156b961&_ss=rI have a £329 single speed with discs and mudguards but it's over budget. Let me know if you want to see it.Also let me know if single speed is something you would entertain given your flat commute.

mogsog31/01/2020 14:42

Don't know when you got it, but check if it's been recalled. You might get …Don't know when you got it, but check if it's been recalled. You might get a new one. https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/halfords-have-issued-a-safety-recall-on-apollo-and-carrerra-models-3389739

Well before then. But cheers
Mudguards are essential, so if the bike doesn't have them make sure the forks/frame has mounting points for them and factor them into the purchase price.
EndlessWaves31/01/2020 16:07

Mudguards are essential, so if the bike doesn't have them make sure the …Mudguards are essential, so if the bike doesn't have them make sure the forks/frame has mounting points for them and factor them into the purchase price.

Do they come in same size?
happyman198231/01/2020 16:20

Do they come in same size?

Mudguards are made in different sizes to suit various wheel diameters and tyre (and fork) widths, although usually just a few sizes each covering a fairly wide range.

You also get mudguards that are much shorter in length and don't come all the way down the back of the tyre. These are best avoided.
mogsog31/01/2020 08:39

I would avoid halfords carrera range, friend recently purchased one and …I would avoid halfords carrera range, friend recently purchased one and has had nothing but issues.What is your budget?How hilly is your area?

Purchased a subway for my daily commute worst mistake ever and I’ve had no end of problems with the gears. The bike is just over a year old and kept in my garage it is already showing signs of rust. Frame is fine but all the other bits bolts and stuff have rusted.
MWC201231/01/2020 16:57

Purchased a subway for my daily commute worst mistake ever and I’ve had no …Purchased a subway for my daily commute worst mistake ever and I’ve had no end of problems with the gears. The bike is just over a year old and kept in my garage it is already showing signs of rust. Frame is fine but all the other bits bolts and stuff have rusted.

Cheers for your personal experience.

Your experience matches my friends (he didn't consult me). He started off quite happy but after months past quickly he realised the quality was substandard. Component wear and frame rust took their toll quite quick.

OP, please try decathlon for a try before you buy experience. The is a reason why cyclists call them Halfrauds.

Decathlon let's you ride pretty much all the bikes (almost all are ready on the racks) in store, halfords from what I've been told has become less generous in allowing test rides and has limited pre-built models.
OP, would love to know what you eventually decide to go with. No judgements whatever.
I was about to get the crossfire 2 from a guy used it once but sold it yesterday so I will have to look other places
Did you find anything OP?

PM me if you want any assistance.
mogsog11/02/2020 20:02

Did you find anything OP?PM me if you want any assistance.

Hi mate, I’m still looking but as I’m training I can’t use it while the weather doesn’t help
happyman198218/02/2020 20:03

Hi mate, I’m still looking but as I’m training I can’t use it while the wea …Hi mate, I’m still looking but as I’m training I can’t use it while the weather doesn’t help

Cheers for the update, I'll give you a shout if anything good shows up.
mogsog18/02/2020 22:24

Cheers for the update, I'll give you a shout if anything good shows up.

Thanks for your help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants