Carrera hydraulic Brake fluid shooting out

Found 19th May
Had this bike for about 4 years and i've not rode it once.

Thought it was due a clean as its been sat in the garage collecting dust & mold, when i pressed the back break hydraulic fluid shoots out the pin hole in the 1st photo any ideas whats going on?

I'm debating whether its worth taking it in to be serviced as the front wheel no longer spins freely,like its catching on the disc break (greasing)?

2942153-LLRPV.jpg2942153-KBDoi.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Grease your brakes? Send like a recipe for disaster...
It does sound like one of the hydraulics brake cylinders has Seized. Not overly expensive but not a job for doing at home. Also a sized cylinder could be causing the issue with the other wheel too. You say you've never ridden it? Did the brakes work when you got it (assuming you bought it 'used')?
mrty1 h, 8 m ago

Grease your brakes? Send like a recipe for disaster...

Haha can't believe I wrote that after reading it back

Yep never ridden it,gf keeps trying to get me to sell it but you never know I might one day!

Yep worked fine it's just been sat in a shed for a couple of years then a garage
Edited by: "bettz1" 19th May
I had to look up hydraulic bike brakes to make sure they were actually a thing. Normally you just have a simple mechanical cable to transfer your squeeze on the lever to a squeeze on the brake calipers.

Reading up on it, it appears to be a system that requires a lot more maintenance and is mostly targeted at enthusiasts who need absolute top performance. It sounds like you ended up with a halfords special loaded down with whatever the flavour of the month is, and not something suitable for your use.

I'm not surprised if the brake pads are catching if the hydraulics are ruptured/seized, they're both part of the same system.

You can probably get it fixed by your local bike shop but I'd be tempted to just swap it for normal brakes, otherwise you'll have the same problem again in a couple of years.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 19th May
EndlessWaves1 h, 0 m ago

I had to look up hydraulic bike brakes to make sure they were actually a …I had to look up hydraulic bike brakes to make sure they were actually a thing. Normally you just have a simple mechanical cable to transfer your squeeze on the level to a squeeze on the brake calipers. Reading up on it, it appears to be a system that requires a lot more maintenance and is mostly targeted at enthusiasts who need absolute top performance. It sounds like you ended up with a halfords special loaded down with whatever the flavour of the month is and not something suitable for your use.I'm not surprised if the brake pads are catching if the hydraulics are ruptured/seized, they're both part of the same system.You can probably get it fixed by your local bike shop but I'd be tempted to just swap it for normal brakes, otherwise you'll have the same problem again in a couple of years.

That's what most people end up doing. Much cheaper and realistically they perform just as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants