Cars with good ground clearance - buying advice sought

Found 23rd Sep 2015
Hi, a friend of mine is looking to buy a car, new or around a year old, up to £14000 with reasonable fuel economy.

Needs to have decent ground clearance as she has a horse that lives up a bumpy farm track and her 3 door Golf is a bit low. Other than that it would be good to have height adjustable passenger seat for her ultra tall Dad to sit in and 5 doors so her Mum doesn't have to contort herself getting in the back seats. To make it her dream car it would also have a DAB radio and rear electric windows plus a decent boot size for the dog and be in a low emission category. Probably diesel as she does at least 40 miles a day on motorway plus the farm track.

We've been looking at the Dacia Sandero Stepway which she would buy on the Laureate trim level to get seat adjustment and at the Dacia Duster which she would be likely to get pre-registered - both of which would give her some change from her budget. Also going to look at Suzuki Vitara this weekend.

Thought I would ask in here since you guys know EVERYTHING! Many thanks in advance for suggestions.

Susie
Community Updates
AskCar
26 Comments
nissan qashqai
I got the Dacia, so much car for your money
Edited by: "sowotsdis" 23rd Sep 2015
try a vw heard there emissions are low
And omissions
ooooo sorrryyyyyyy
oops lol
What about a Volvo v70 4x4
deleted568030
Nissan Juke. Wasn't too sure I'd like it, but 6 months down the line I wouldn't swap it for another cross over.
Mitsubishi Outlander/ Toyota RAV4.
4x4 give good clearance and are great for dirt roads and rough tracks. would get this if I lived in a farm
fozed78

nissan qashqai

I don't think the ground clearance on the qashqai is anything special is it? 18cm or so?

Subaru would be a good option to look at. The XV/Forester/Outback have 22cm ground clearance.
booky

Nissan Juke. Wasn't too sure I'd like it, but 6 months down the line I … Nissan Juke. Wasn't too sure I'd like it, but 6 months down the line I wouldn't swap it for another cross over.

Old Juke has zero room in boot, newer face-lifted one has slightly more, but not great for a dog.
Toyota rav definitely. Do not touch a dacia its just a renault disguised lol. Honda crv are also good.
19alexanderson91

try a vw heard there emissions are low

Lol and every other car manufacturer are touching cloth rite now as theyve all bin at it. The whole car emissions thing is a massive con. Think how much fuel it takes to get a plane off the ground and keep it up there for a flight. The whole blaming cars thing is a myth
But I think there are a few more cars around than planes.
Nissan Juke LOL. Godawful heap of crap.
I'd second a Subaru - very good cars. Quite a few manufacturers make an estate 4x4 which may be good for you, skoda, Volvo. You might be able to get a decent freelander for that money. Just be aware that generally, the bigger the vehicle, the more the maintenance costs
Toyota Rav 4 or Honda CRV. Ours we bought on a 0% offer over three years, but there are some really good lease and pcp deals around at the moment too.
Thanks for the suggestions - strangely a lot of the 2014/15 cars suggested have not that great ground clearance though to look at them you'd think they would, e.g. the Rav4 is only 160mm and the CR-V is 172mm. The 2014 Volvo V70 only has 151mm ground clearance.The Qashqai 2014/15 is also too expensive unless she wants to go for an older car, and lower than older models, and as Midurix says, the boot is not great for a dog on a Juke. The Subaru prices are prohibitive though the cars look great!
Will see what the Vitara is like at the weekend and as Sowotdis said, the Dacia seems like a lot of car for the money and ticks many of the boxes for my friend. Will also go check out the Subaru garage in case they have a bargain hidden away.
Wonder why the newer models of cars have been lowered? The moneyed-Mummy brigade? The old RAV4 was definitely a lot higher but another 'horsey' friend replaced hers with a Mazda CX5 which is a lot higher than the new RAV4.0

Many thanks for your help - feel free to add more if you think of any!
123batman321

Lol and every other car manufacturer are touching cloth rite now as … Lol and every other car manufacturer are touching cloth rite now as theyve all bin at it. The whole car emissions thing is a massive con. Think how much fuel it takes to get a plane off the ground and keep it up there for a flight. The whole blaming cars thing is a myth

The thing is they had a emission test mode in the software which gave them a better emission rating, but then switched back to normal mode for mpg and other test.
If VW either have to set them to emission test mode all the time and lose out on mpg and possibly performance or spend a massive amount finding a way to mechanically lower the emissions.
I really can't seem them doing the latter.

As for emissions on cars vs other modes of transport. Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 24th Sep 2015
susieqt

The 2014 Volvo V70 only has 151mm ground clearance.

I think by V70 4x4 he was referring to the XC70 which is a raised V70 with 21cm of ground clearance. They're a few years old and you can get £10k off list, so they're great prices for what they are but you'd still be looking at 3-4 years old for a £14k model.

susieqt

Wonder why the newer models of cars have been lowered? The moneyed-Mummy … Wonder why the newer models of cars have been lowered? The moneyed-Mummy brigade?

Yeah, most people buying those vehicles don't use it so manufacturers are lowering ground clearance to increase fuel economy & decrease emissions and tax costs to make their products more appealing to the majority of their buyers.

I'm surprised the new Vitara has good ground clearance actually, although I suppose it is pitched as a more utilitarian vehicle than the S-Cross. The X-trail has retained it's 20cm+ ground clearance too, although that's another vehicle that's out of budget.

Have you looked at Jeep? Good ground clearance and cheap. Although obviously not known for their interior quality, efficiency or much else. The other option is a pick-up truck which seems to have replaced the traditional big cheap off-roader. Not exactly good fuel economy though (and correspondingly high tax).

Agree with honda crv or hyundai and kia now good makes.
Go on autotrader and put in the things you need eg.. suv, age, mpg, max tax per year, etc up to your 14k and it will give you ideas of whats available. Good luck
cornishscouse

Agree with honda crv or hyundai and kia now good makes.

Suzieqt has already dismissed the CR-V because of it's poor 17cm ground clearance. I don't know if she has said how old the golf is but I'd expect that to be somewhere around 15-16cm ground clearance.

Thinking about off-roaders in foreign markets the Ford Ecosport sprang to mind and checking does suggest that it's got ground clearance of 20cm. Efficiency is pretty lousy for the class, but reasonable overall. It's in budget although I'm not sure how dog friendly the boot is.
I wold hold out for a month or two as I have heard the VW Tiguan pre registered from main dealers is going to be reduced to a very respectable price.
Looking at the used Tiguan prices I'm not sure the new prices would drop enough in coming months to be in budget. We hadn't considered the Ford Ecosport which, although not as frugal as some, looks like it might be one to go have a look at - the boot doesn't look ideal from the pictures but as the Ford garage is only up the road from here we can pop along and check it out. They seem to have lots of nearly new ones so we might find a good bargain.
Just back from the Ford garage - friend is hugely keen on the looks/style of the Ecosport combined with the 200mm clearance and will test drive on Monday. In case anyone else reading this thread in future is looking for similar sort of thing, the boot is quite a clever idea - the back seats are a 70:30 split and the seat backs on each side moves forward and back independently so her Mum can sit on one side and the dog can have plenty of boot room still. We even found a 6'3" passer-by to make sure there was lots of headroom on front passenger side - there was loads even though the seat height doesn't adjust on that side. So now I'm hoping my friend likes driving it and that we can get her a decent deal. Many thanks to all who suggested ideas and to EndlessWaves for the Ecosport suggestion in particular!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants