Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 28 April 2017

Carte Noire sold their soul!

Yes I drink instant coffee, get over it!

(Apologies if this has already been covered on here, but really, it needed a rant!)

After Nescafé got rid of their Parisian blend, Carte Noire was the last decent instant coffee I enjoyed. Now I'm down to the last few spoonfuls in the jar...
Like many others, I've been enjoying CN for millions of years, and now they sell out!

L'or is a sub-standard coffee that comes in the same jar as CN and even brandishes the CN logo on it's 'classic' blend. But don't be fooled (I was). This is not Carte Noire as we knew it! L'or is a poor quality tasteless example of instant coffee and has nothing whatsoever in common with CN.

CN seem to have sold the brand name under license to Douwe Egberts for 12 months (weird?). So hopefully it'll be back in March 2018. But in the meantime CN drinkers across the UK are up in arms, and certainly aren't drinking L'or.

What a shame these companies don't listen to their customers, especially a quality brand like Carte Noire. I can only guess that Mondeléz are struggling and decided to pimp out the brand to give themselves some breathing room.

Tea at work from now on then...

I'm not the only one - FB
Community Updates
New Comment

45 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Lidl do a Columbian blend arabica instant and it's absolutely amazing! £2 a jar as well but honestly it's lovely!
    robin5858

First Workd problem.It's just coffee get over it.Now just grow up. Pick … First Workd problem.It's just coffee get over it.Now just grow up. Pick your stuff up and put it back in the pram.

have you not seen misc before
    drasim

Of course it is, we're in a first world country and this is a forum where … Of course it is, we're in a first world country and this is a forum where people can discuss brands.

Still just coffee.

Go ask someone who has nothing and lives from day to day if the taste of coffee is important. ​
    robin5858

Still just coffee. Go ask someone who has nothing and lives from day to … Still just coffee. Go ask someone who has nothing and lives from day to day if the taste of coffee is important.

were the deals you posted for food etc the cheapest of their type? no? were you paying for taste etc? oh
    30718530-PbyiI
    take the advice in your opening line and "get over it"?
    Deal Hunter - if you're after some of the original Carte Noire try a B&M store if you have one nearby.
    deal-hunter

CN seem to have sold the brand name under license to Douwe Egberts for 12 … CN seem to have sold the brand name under license to Douwe Egberts for 12 months (weird?).

don't like coffee but like to look at stories like this one, seems an odd set up but googling it looks like its been licenced back to its original producer.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-mondelez-intl-coffeebusiness-idUKKCN0PC22C20150702

gcrmag.com/new…oir
    robin5858

First Workd problem.It's just coffee get over it.Now just grow up. Pick … First Workd problem.It's just coffee get over it.Now just grow up. Pick your stuff up and put it back in the pram.

Of course it is, we're in a first world country and this is a forum where people can discuss brands.
    robin5858

Still just coffee. Go ask someone who has nothing and lives from day to … Still just coffee. Go ask someone who has nothing and lives from day to day if the taste of coffee is important.

The thread is about discussing the change of manufacturer / handover of brand and the resulting quality. It's nothing to do with people who cannot afford coffee.
    The is the best instant coffee in my opinion, when I drink instant this is the only one I buy.can be found for £2.50 or £3 on offer regularly.

[image missing]

Author
    deleted57959

I like douwe egberts, used to like Nescafe Parisian too,

Parisian was lovely!
    Its a shame OP, Carte Noire was a decent instant coffee, to mourn its passing I suggest you get a small packet of freshly roasted Jamaican Blue Mountain beans and enjoy.
    Author
    Mo786

Spot on mate. But he has more hair on his head than me
    I don't really like coffee. Just saying.
    themachman

I feel your pain.been drinking the CN decaf for years,have half a jar … I feel your pain.been drinking the CN decaf for years,have half a jar left

B&M have the decaff as well as that's what I've been buying.
    deal-hunter

Millicano: Instant Coffee (85%) , Roast and Ground Coffee (15%) .Azera: … Millicano: Instant Coffee (85%) , Roast and Ground Coffee (15%) .Azera: Soluble Coffee , Roast and Ground Coffee (5%)Prontissimo: Instant Coffee (90%) , Roast and Ground Coffee (10%)Taste test session looming

prontissimo comes in 80/20 silver lid and 95/5 gold lid with the 80 being better
    Anyone found a good alternative for the Carte Noire decaff please?
    It's the end of the world X)
    (edited)
    Nescafe Gold Blend ftw.
    First Workd problem.

It's just coffee get over it.

Now just grow up. Pick your stuff up and put it back in the pram.
    the carte noir intense stuff was rubbish but i quite like the normal stuff
    i usually switch about quite a bit for bargains and carte noir always tasted a bit floral until you were used to it again but this doesn't have that oddness
    Author
    eslick

don't like coffee but like to look at stories like this one, seems an odd … don't like coffee but like to look at stories like this one, seems an odd set up but googling it looks like its been licenced back to its original producer. http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-mondelez-intl-coffeebusiness-idUKKCN0PC22C20150702http://gcrmag.com/news/article/lavazza-acquires-carte-noir

Maybe Lavazza are trying to move CR drinkers into trying out their
    Prontissimo instead...
    Why the hell should i care what coffee you buy? I buy Asda smart price so what.

If you don't like it buy something else, considering your making such a flap over it i think a nice cup of tea would be a good idea to replace all that caffeine.
    lavazza prontisimmo
    Author
    HamanBasher

lavazza prontisimmo

Not tried it yet, but will look out for it this weekend
    Error440

Why the hell should i care what coffee you buy? I buy Asda smart price so … Why the hell should i care what coffee you buy? I buy Asda smart price so what.If you don't like it buy something else, considering your making such a flap over it i think a nice cup of tea would be a good idea to replace all that caffeine.

OP had a coffee rant, then you had a coffee rant.
    Author
    delusion

The is the best instant coffee in my opinion, when I drink instant this … The is the best instant coffee in my opinion, when I drink instant this is the only one I buy.can be found for £2.50 or £3 on offer regularly.

I hear you, but I struggle to stick with this coffee day in day out. Nice for a change now and then though
    I stopped drinking coffee a month ago, but if I recall Kenco Millicano would be a good alternative to Carte Noire if you like strong coffee.
    Author
    drasim

I stopped drinking coffee a month ago, but if I recall Kenco Millicano … I stopped drinking coffee a month ago, but if I recall Kenco Millicano would be a good alternative to Carte Noire if you like strong coffee.

Another option coffee for me that one. Where I think Millicano and Azera use the inclusion of coffee grounds to intensify the flavour, Carte Noire provided a well-rounded flavour without making your eyes pop out on stalks if you had more than a few cups. They're both a bit 'strong' in that respect I reckon.
    Author
    Millicano: Instant Coffee (85%) , Roast and Ground Coffee (15%) .
    Azera: Soluble Coffee , Roast and Ground Coffee (5%)
    Prontissimo: Instant Coffee (90%) , Roast and Ground Coffee (10%)

Taste test session looming
    Alta Rica (nestle)or Costa Rican (kenco)with the purple labels are ok.
    Author
    DKLS

Its a shame OP, Carte Noire was a decent instant coffee, to mourn its … Its a shame OP, Carte Noire was a decent instant coffee, to mourn its passing I suggest you get a small packet of freshly roasted Jamaican Blue Mountain beans and enjoy.

Yep, got them in the cupboard, for special days and high days. Nice...
    Author
    plodging

Alta Rica (nestle)or Costa Rican (kenco)with the purple labels are ok.

I'll add them to the tasting list then, many thanks.
    It's all down to individual taste and I particularly enjoyed Carte Noir - stocked up on the large jars from Tesco when on offer. Personally, I avoid N*stl* products like the plague. Their business practices are shocking (Google is your friend), they could sell it for 1p and I'd still avoid it.
    I have standards I like to keep - I won't just buy it because it's cheap.
    Totally agree. Back in the day when it was 100%Arabica it was great,then it changed and became weaker and now its changed again to a watery overpriced con.
    I feel your pain.been drinking the CN decaf for years,have half a jar left
    Aeropress or tea /thread.
    psychobitchfromhell

I don't really like coffee. Just saying.

​heathen
's avatar