Expired

cash for clothes is this the end for charity shops?

Found 19th May 2012
lately i have seen stores opening in my area who pay by the kilo for clothes ,i usually take all my stuff to charity shops but today i took in around 7 bags of clothes and came out with £18.50 ,so is this the end for charity shops?
Community Updates
MiscClothes
18 Comments
it looks like it but with this economy it really helps I too did the same the money is easy.
Who accepts cash from charity shops?
Give the clothes for free.
cejiogu1

Who accepts cash from charity shops?Give the clothes for free.

Had a very hard time giving a few bin bags full of mostly new clothing to my local Barnardos, despite calling them first to see if it was OK to bring them in on that day.

Then after visiting the store with the bags they said we are not taking any clothing today! I said well I'll just dump them somwhere outside... Only then did they take them off me.

Next time I'll sell them or give to a different shop.
I went to a local charity shop with boys clothing which was in fab condition some had tags on and they refused, said they did,nt make enough money from kids clothes and it was,nt worth it. Totally unbelievable.
I stick 'em on eBay first, and if they don't sell they go to the charity shops.
lesdenn

I went to a local charity shop with boys clothing which was in fab … I went to a local charity shop with boys clothing which was in fab condition some had tags on and they refused, said they did,nt make enough money from kids clothes and it was,nt worth it. Totally unbelievable.

Some kids clothes make more money than adults! Mental.
Our scout group does this as one way of raising funds for the group. Anything reasonable I put in a charity bag, but anything that isn't really fit to pass on or sell in a charity shop goes to the scouts collection. You can put any clothing in any condition in, and the scouts get so much per kilo, so at least the money is still going to a charitable organisation.
It all depends on what your own morals say.
I won't be giving to a charity shop again. The last time I did, I had loads of toys in very good condition, then saw them in their bin the day after (while driving past, not foraging oO). The volunteers had just gotten too lazy, the stuff they had for sale was tat. So much for giving to a good cause...

What happens to your clothes when you sell them to these shops anyway?
Edited by: "hellbentondeals" 19th May 2012
I have a few bags of pretty decent clothing that I have been holding on to with a view to drop it off at the Salvation's Army when I hire a car. If the charity shops are not too keen to accept the clothing, what's the next best thing to do with them prior to consider binning?
Ben3110

I stick 'em on eBay first, and if they don't sell they go to the charity … I stick 'em on eBay first, and if they don't sell they go to the charity shops.

i used to do but its just so time consuming for so little gain

hellbentondeals

I won't be giving to a charity shop again. The last time I did, I had … I won't be giving to a charity shop again. The last time I did, I had loads of toys in very good condition, then saw them in their bin the day after (while driving past, not foraging oO). The volunteers had just gotten too lazy, the stuff they had for sale was tat. So much for giving to a good cause...What happens to your clothes when you sell them to these shops anyway?

they get cleaned steamed etc etc then sold in one of their other shops and no doubt the crap goes to the charity shops
yea 1 opened here too, £5 a kg i think, just take a old duvet lol
sofiasar

yea 1 opened here too, £5 a kg i think, just take a old duvet lol

Just like trev and Simon They don't do duvets;)

Charities are big business now.They have executives to pay,lovely offices to pay for,many large 4x4`s to run,nice pensions to fund.

They dont want 2nd hand goods from you just new products that can be sold without having to pay for staff or business rates like all other retailers. Wake up peoples
wow. i've never seen this before.
i used to give all my sons outgrown cloths and toys to barnados until i saw a huge truck outside and some guy putting tons of clothes, toys and much more including the bags i had just dropped off there! so now if i cant sell them on ebay or a bootsale i give them to friends who have younger kids
my friends little boy is kitted out for the next 4 years lol, she has never bought him a coat because ive given her at least 2 a year since he was born
Took a load of stuff to Help The Aged when we moved a few years back. They asked if I wanted to gift aid it, so had to give my address etc so they could claim it.

About 2 months later, got a letter from them - said we've sold your stuff for xx amount (can't remember off the top of my head).

That's nice I thought... read on a bit further - said we were entitled to claim £60 from them (basically the profit they made, minus a small fee).

Easier than a boot sale
charity shops DONT deserve any donations because they have got extremly greedy selling on thier prices are far too high, I have many times tried to explain to them surely if your prices was less you would sell more. NO they dont want to know. so off I go now to the clothes banks and I dont care what I get but for dam sure Im not giving nowt to the greedy charity shops who arnt prepared to lower thier stupid prices. You can go to Primark and buy New For Less. But I do support The Lifeboats in any way I can

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants