Cash on collection - gumtree and ebay

Posted 23rd Nov
If you have sold items as cash on collection on sites like gumtree and ebay, do you check the money when the buyer hands the notes to you to make sure that they are not fake notes?

If I were to hold a £20 note up to the light to check for the watermark and solid silver thread for example, would it come across as rude and that I think the buyer may be passing on fake notes?

Would be interested in what you do when you sell stuff yourself and are paid in cash.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I never do cash on collection due to my area being somewhat rough (and I've almost been mugged before) but perhaps if you explain to the buyer in advance that you do this check for every transaction, including something like "because I have been scammed in the past" they may be more understanding
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 23rd Nov
33 Comments
I never do cash on collection due to my area being somewhat rough (and I've almost been mugged before) but perhaps if you explain to the buyer in advance that you do this check for every transaction, including something like "because I have been scammed in the past" they may be more understanding
Wow.
Depending on time of day of transaction, have the buyer pay the wedge over your bank's counter whilst you stand alongside. The bank teller will perform the cash legitimacy checks.
andrewworrall123/11/2019 15:29

I never do cash on collection due to my area being somewhat rough (and …I never do cash on collection due to my area being somewhat rough (and I've almost been mugged before) but perhaps if you explain to the buyer in advance that you do this check for every transaction, including something like "because I have been scammed in the past" they may be more understanding

i have sold lots of stuff as cash on collection without any issue but i was given a dodgy £20 note recently, which i did not notice was dodgy until later on in the day.

this now makes me think i should check all £20 notes but i wonder if the buyer would take offence if i start holding the note up to the light to check as i am implying they may be passing on fake notes.
mutley123/11/2019 15:43

i have sold lots of stuff as cash on collection without any issue but i …i have sold lots of stuff as cash on collection without any issue but i was given a dodgy £20 note recently, which i did not notice was dodgy until later on in the day. this now makes me think i should check all £20 notes but i wonder if the buyer would take offence if i start holding the note up to the light to check as i am implying they may be passing on fake notes.

Fortunately that was just £20, not hundreds as it could've been. As said, if you explain to the buyer that you check in advance (through eBay or Gumtree messages) or even add a note in the item description that you check notes because of being scammed in the past, you should be okay
AndyRoyd23/11/2019 15:40

Depending on time of day of transaction, have the buyer pay the wedge over …Depending on time of day of transaction, have the buyer pay the wedge over your bank's counter whilst you stand alongside. The bank teller will perform the cash legitimacy checks.

the stuff i sell are not expensive items, they tend to be around £40 to £100, and people come round after work to collect so a trip to the bank is a bit OTT.
Do the markers still work to check notes like this? Again might cause offence but you can justify by saying you've been scammed in the past. Do shops nearby check notes when you pay in cash? If yes, it is normal enough that folks would be more understanding.
Edited by: "Mugginz" 23rd Nov
andrewworrall123/11/2019 15:45

Fortunately that was just £20, not hundreds as it could've been. As said, …Fortunately that was just £20, not hundreds as it could've been. As said, if you explain to the buyer that you check in advance (through eBay or Gumtree messages) or even add a note in the item description that you check notes because of being scammed in the past, you should be okay

if you tell people that you are going to do fake note checks before they come, this may put people off coming at all though.
it may be better to tell them politely when they turn up, but this may still give offence.
mutley123/11/2019 15:47

if you tell people that you are going to do fake note checks before they …if you tell people that you are going to do fake note checks before they come, this may put people off coming at all though. it may be better to tell them politely when they turn up, but this may still give offence.

Just say something like "It's not that I don't trust you but last week I had a sale where someone gave me fake notes" when they turn up. If the notes are real they shouldn't object
Mugginz23/11/2019 15:46

Do the markers still work to check notes like this? Again might cause …Do the markers still work to check notes like this? Again might cause offence but you can justify by saying you've been scammed in the past. Do shops nearby check notes when you pay in cash? If yes, it is normal enough that folks would be more understanding.

i rarely use cash in shops but i have noticed that they do check the notes, possibly because i look dodgy, lol.
however, buyers are not always local and they can come from long distances to collect. selling to someone who comes to your house to collect is a bit more personal than a cashier at the shop if this makes any sense. a cashier checking if a note is fake is taken for granted.
andrewworrall123/11/2019 15:49

Just say something like "It's not that I don't trust you but last week I …Just say something like "It's not that I don't trust you but last week I had a sale where someone gave me fake notes" when they turn up. If the notes are real they shouldn't object

sometimes people do not know that the notes are fake themselves as some fake notes are very good fakes, so unless you scrutinise them, you would not know that they are fake. i could say something along that line i guess.
Rune_2H23/11/2019 16:10

Comment deleted

this doesn't always come across immediately as it can be delayed for a couple of hours. the buyer may also not have a fast payment facility on their phone if they don't do internet banking or don't have the bank app on their phone or they need a card reader or key fob. it gets very complicated and is not practical for small value transactions. maybe for a transaction of a few hundred quid then it would be worth considering.
mutley123/11/2019 15:52

i rarely use cash in shops but i have noticed that they do check the …i rarely use cash in shops but i have noticed that they do check the notes, possibly because i look dodgy, lol. however, buyers are not always local and they can come from long distances to collect. selling to someone who comes to your house to collect is a bit more personal than a cashier at the shop if this makes any sense. a cashier checking if a note is fake is taken for granted.

Makes sense. Me personally I would never have someone come to my house if possible. Meet at a local garage that is pen and well lit if possible.
I know this is not so easy if selling a TV or something else bulky that you need to prove is working.
Edited by: "Mugginz" 23rd Nov
Just say please don't mind me checking the notes due to past experience. Most people are fine with it.

Whilst checking them you can tell them about yr experience and they are then understanding.

Watch out for the sly ones where they put the fakes in between or at the end of the notes so the first few look ok, make sure you check all.
Edited by: "dealtime" 23rd Nov
Rune_2H23/11/2019 16:10

Comment deleted

Bank transfers are bit exposed and you rely on them clearing later.
Another options could be N26 or a similar online bank they have. Or paypal but then you have to work out who pays the fees. Could be worth it for security on a larger sale item.
Also adds some traceability of someone who calls to your house. You would then have more then their phone number and/or gumtree account
mutley123/11/2019 15:47

if you tell people that you are going to do fake note checks before they …if you tell people that you are going to do fake note checks before they come, this may put people off coming at all though. it may be better to tell them politely when they turn up, but this may still give offence.

Ah great you've made a decision. Can this thread be closed now
Mugginz23/11/2019 16:36

Makes sense. Me personally I would never have someone come to my house if …Makes sense. Me personally I would never have someone come to my house if possible. Meet at a local garage that is pen and well lit if possible.I know this is not so easy if swelling a TV or something else bulky that you need to prove is working.

I am quite happy for people to come and collect and most people are quite nice and friendly. Some of the stuff are furniture or bulky items so it is not practical to meet people. They can be eclectical items that need to be tested.

People also can come and see without obligation to buy. It also makes people feel more comforted if they know where you live, so they know they are not buying a dodgy item as they can come back to your house if there is a problem.
Bank transfer? I sold console for £100 & when fella arrived he said no time to go cash point .. could he just transfer .. suited me
Either check the notes or ask for bank transfer. A genuine buyer won't be offended.
To be honest you can get funny money everywhere potentially so selling something is no higher risk really apart from you’ll have more cash than just getting change somewhere etc. But if your really worried and it’s a really big sale do it in town at a bank I’ve done that for a car a couple of times when I’ve bought and sold as it’s a safe place lace to meet and then there’s less risk of losing cash or it been stolen before you put it in bank and obviously bank check for fakes.
toonsquirel23/11/2019 17:20

To be honest you can get funny money everywhere potentially so selling …To be honest you can get funny money everywhere potentially so selling something is no higher risk really apart from you’ll have more cash than just getting change somewhere etc. But if your really worried and it’s a really big sale do it in town at a bank I’ve done that for a car a couple of times when I’ve bought and sold as it’s a safe place lace to meet and then there’s less risk of losing cash or it been stolen before you put it in bank and obviously bank check for fakes.

You are more likely to get fake notes as change in the shops but the introduction of the polymer notes make it harder to forge £10 and £5 notes and you are unlikely to get £20 note change as that would mean you gave someone a £50 note.

Buying something from these sites as cash on collection is the easiest way to pass on fake notes as most people would not pay close attention. You can't trace the people either once they are gone, unlike a shop.
Edited by: "mutley1" 23rd Nov
mutley123/11/2019 17:31

You are more likely to get fake notes as change in the shops but the …You are more likely to get fake notes as change in the shops but the introduction of the polymer notes make it harder to forge £10 and £5 notes and you are unlikely to get £20 note change as that would mean you gave someone a £50 note.Buying something from these sites as cash on collection is the easiest way to pass on fake notes as most people would not pay close attention. You can't trace the people either once they are gone, unlike a shop.

I suppose best option then is to ask nicely if they could bring new notes as I’m not even sure they’ve been faked yet.
toonsquirel23/11/2019 17:33

I suppose best option then is to ask nicely if they could bring new notes …I suppose best option then is to ask nicely if they could bring new notes as I’m not even sure they’ve been faked yet.

I did wonder if there are fake polymer notes around and I remember reading when they came out that they were harder to forge and that is the whole purpose for them, but nothing is impossible when it comes to forgery, it may make it less value to do so with the polymer notes and so not worthwhile for the criminals.
JumpMan198023/11/2019 16:53

Bank transfer? I sold console for £100 & when fella arrived he said no …Bank transfer? I sold console for £100 & when fella arrived he said no time to go cash point .. could he just transfer .. suited me

Hmmm that could have been a dodgy person, you were lucky.

No time to go cash point but time enough to buy an item. Who goes to a sale with no acceptable means of payment.
cmdr_elito23/11/2019 18:09

Hmmm that could have been a dodgy person, you were lucky.No time to go …Hmmm that could have been a dodgy person, you were lucky.No time to go cash point but time enough to buy an item. Who goes to a sale with no acceptable means of payment.

yes, does sound suspicious!

someone bought a pool table from us and when he turned up he said that he had no cash on him and asked where the nearest ATM was. he had hired a man and a van and said that the man would load the pool table in the van while he goes to the ATM. i said to him that i would rather he give me the money first before loading the table on to the van! they could drive off once loaded!
cmdr_elito23/11/2019 18:09

Hmmm that could have been a dodgy person, you were lucky.No time to go …Hmmm that could have been a dodgy person, you were lucky.No time to go cash point but time enough to buy an item. Who goes to a sale with no acceptable means of payment.

I sell cash on collection regularly, bank transfer is becoming far more common. Not dodgy, just more convenient. I don't mind accepting it, have started accepting it for lower value transactions.

In terms of checking cash, I always try to in front of them. Nobody has gotten offended yet, I don't care if they do because I have to make sure.
jamie1523/11/2019 18:32

I sell cash on collection regularly, bank transfer is becoming far more …I sell cash on collection regularly, bank transfer is becoming far more common. Not dodgy, just more convenient. I don't mind accepting it, have started accepting it for lower value transactions.In terms of checking cash, I always try to in front of them. Nobody has gotten offended yet, I don't care if they do because I have to make sure.

if someone asks to pay by bank transfer for low value items, then i would be suspicious as giving them my bank details, my name, my mobile number and my home address is more risky than accepting cash from the buyer. i have done so on occasion where i have had to post an item to someone.
mutley123/11/2019 18:36

if someone asks to pay by bank transfer for low value items, then i would …if someone asks to pay by bank transfer for low value items, then i would be suspicious as giving them my bank details, my name, my mobile number and my home address is more risky than accepting cash from the buyer. i have done so on occasion where i have had to post an item to someone.

No need to give mobile number, real name, or address. Even if you do give those details those are very basic, anyone could find that out. Only thing people can do with bank details is start a direct debit but you are fully covered under direct debit guarantee. I use a bank account that does not allow direct debits to be set up so no risk there.
Edited by: "jamie15" 23rd Nov
jamie1523/11/2019 18:50

No need to give mobile number, real name, or address. Even if you do give …No need to give mobile number, real name, or address. Even if you do give those details those are very basic, anyone could find that out. Only thing people can do with bank details is start a direct debit but you are fully covered under direct debit guarantee. I use a bank account that does not allow direct debits to be set up so no risk there.

people come to my house to collect so they know my address. they have my mobile number and I have theirs so we can communicate and it is safer for me to have their mobile number if they are coming to my house.

they need my full name for the bank account transfer. my bank account allows direct debit so they can set those up. i don't like the idea of giving out my bank details and would rather accept cash as cash is king but i need to check the £20 notes from now on. luckily it is rare that i have been given a fake note, but then again i don't tend to get cash from other people, only from the ATM machines, which apparently can also dish out fake notes, but i have never had this happen to me.
mutley123/11/2019 18:57

people come to my house to collect so they know my address. they have my …people come to my house to collect so they know my address. they have my mobile number and I have theirs so we can communicate and it is safer for me to have their mobile number if they are coming to my house. they need my full name for the bank account transfer. my bank account allows direct debit so they can set those up. i don't like the idea of giving out my bank details and would rather accept cash as cash is king but i need to check the £20 notes from now on. luckily it is rare that i have been given a fake note, but then again i don't tend to get cash from other people, only from the ATM machines, which apparently can also dish out fake notes, but i have never had this happen to me.

No need for mobile number as you can communicate through the platform. If I give a mobile number (rarely) it is never my main one.

They don't need your full name for a bank account transfer as names are not checked or verified. You could write whatever you want in the name box, try and send 1p to someone and test it out.

Cash and bank transfer both have risks. Cash could be fake, bank transfer means giving out more details, but if a person cannot do anything with those details then I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't give my primary bank details away, if you sell regularly then it would make much more sense to open a secondary bank account not accepting direct debits and have a second phone number for incoming calls.
jamie1523/11/2019 19:13

No need for mobile number as you can communicate through the platform. If …No need for mobile number as you can communicate through the platform. If I give a mobile number (rarely) it is never my main one.They don't need your full name for a bank account transfer as names are not checked or verified. You could write whatever you want in the name box, try and send 1p to someone and test it out.Cash and bank transfer both have risks. Cash could be fake, bank transfer means giving out more details, but if a person cannot do anything with those details then I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't give my primary bank details away, if you sell regularly then it would make much more sense to open a secondary bank account not accepting direct debits and have a second phone number for incoming calls.

we don't sell stuff regularly, just stuff we no longer want. we just happen to have a lot of stuff we don't want so it tends to come in periods where i am trying to de-clutter as hubby has a habit of buying stuff then not using them after a while and wanting to buy something else, or we buy new stuff to replace old things that we have gotten bored of.

it doesn't make sense for me to have another mobile number and bank account, but if you sell regularly then it does make sense. if you sell stuff regularly you will also be better placed to notice fake notes as you would be familiar with handling cash.
mutley123/11/2019 19:52

we don't sell stuff regularly, just stuff we no longer want. we just …we don't sell stuff regularly, just stuff we no longer want. we just happen to have a lot of stuff we don't want so it tends to come in periods where i am trying to de-clutter as hubby has a habit of buying stuff then not using them after a while and wanting to buy something else, or we buy new stuff to replace old things that we have gotten bored of.it doesn't make sense for me to have another mobile number and bank account, but if you sell regularly then it does make sense. if you sell stuff regularly you will also be better placed to notice fake notes as you would be familiar with handling cash.

That is regular enough to open a second bank account and use a PAYG SIM card.

Bank transfer payments are becoming more and more common, in 3 years I think bank transfer on collection will be just as common than cash.
Edited by: "jamie15" 23rd Nov
I buy a lot through eBay. Especially local collection. I have had sellers check my money on a few occasions as I do to when I sell a car or anything online.
I don't take it offensive it's just good practice.
Best is when I go to the petrol stations and shops and hand over a £20 note and they will check it every now and then. And if there is change give in a note I will hold up there money to the light just for the amusement which you can see they don't appreciate
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants