Groups
    EXPIRED

Cashback contracts with your mobile phone: How to succeed.

Thanks go to schizoboy who suggested this and provided me with the bulk of the points made here. It's much apprectiated.

Cashback contracts are very common, and a very good way of getting a cheap mobile contract. They begin at £0 - that's right, totally free for the total contract term and you even get a free phone. So what's the catch? It seems that people are becoming more aware to the risks involved. We hear a lot of people not receiving cashback or having problems. A lot of the time this is due to the stringent terms and conditions which the companies enforce, which consumers do not follow correctly and subsequently lose their caashback. Here are a few tips which will help you to succeed with your cashback...

First of all, it's nice to know how cashback works. It all varies, but it generally works like this. The network set their commissions each month. They pay an amount to the retailer for each connection on each tariff. The retailer can then offer this commission to you in the form of a free phone and/or cashback. You pay the full amount to the network who send you bills. You then send specified bills to the retailer at specified times who will send you a cheque for the cashback, returning the correct amount of money to you. The amount the retailer gives you depends on the commission they receive for that tariff. The zero-cost line rental offers can work in a number of ways. Either the network gives the retailers more commission than the tariff in the hopes that you'll make lots of calls and texts and earn them more money and stay with them after the contract is up or the retailer relies on some people forgetting to claim or not follow their T&Cs. Keep your eye on the ball and you will beat them at their own game quite easily...

[u Who to Contact

There's two (or three) parties involved. These are the mobile network , the mobile retailer and the cashback site you have purchased through. It's important you contact the correct one with your questions and complaints.

[u Network

e.g. o2, Orange, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Vodafone, etc.
    This is the company you pay the money to. They also send you the bills. Their job is to provide you with the minutes and text messages you use to keep in touch with your friends, family and colleagues.
    The network has nothing to do with your cashback. Although if the retailer has performed against the network's code of practice you can complain about them to the network. This requires a lot of logs and evidence.

[u Retailer

e.g. Carphone Wrehouse, e2save, The Mobile Outlet, PhoneBoxDirect, OneStopPhoneShop, etc.
    This company sells phones and contracts for the network. They will be the people you have bought the phone off.
    This company provides you with the cashback. All cashback queries should be sent to your retailer.

[u Cashback Site

e.g. QuidCo, TopCashBack, Rpoints, etc.
    This is confusing. This company has nothing to do with your cashback claim. They simply give you a small amount of money to purchase via their website. This does not need to be claimed for. Queries regarding cashback claims should not go to these websites. Similarly, queries regarding the status of your cashback via these websites shouldn't go to the retailer!

[u How to succeed...

[U Be sure

Read the terms and conditions carefully. They outline EXACTLY what you need to do to claim your cashback. Print off a couple of copies if possible and keep them safe. If anything is unclear to you, ask here or ask the company's customer services department.
    Read the terms and conditions again. It sopunds silly, but you really must read them over and over again!! Read through them until you remember it all clearly and understand the terms fully. If you don't follow the terms correctly then it will cost you literally hundreds of pounds and only you will be to blame.
    Make sure you have everything you need. If the terms and conditions say you need cashback claim vouchers then make sure you have received them. Most companies only give you 7 or 14 days to request missing vouchers, and they'll regularly allow them to go "missing" where possible. Also, some companies require you have a receipt or dispatch note to send in or a copy of it with each claim. Check this in the terms and conditions and if you need one make sure you have it. If anything is missing don't hesitate to get in touch with the company!
    Don't assume ANYTHING. If you aren't sure, talk to the customer services of the RETAILER you are dealing with. If you are still unsure, feel free to ask questions here on HotUKDeals and someone will help you!
    Ask the customer service team lots of questions. Emails can often be more useful than telephone calls where urgent responses aren't needed because you can keep a record of what has been said. Don't be scared to ask lots of thorough questions.

[u Complicated Terms

Your 1st bill usually arrives days after ordering, meaning 6th bill is after 5months, 12th bill is after 11months etc. Check the retailer terms and conditions to check if bills to be sent out are outlined by bill number, month number or number of days of connection. If you are unsure then contact the retailer to clarify or ask here on HotUKDeals where someone will help you.

[u Stay Organised

Read the T&Cs carefully and work out EXACLTY which bills you need to send off . Ensure you understand any differences between the number of the bill, the month of the bill, or the number of days after connection.
    Remind yourself. Set reminders. Lots of them. Write it in your diary. Add it to your phone's reminder system. Stick post-it notes everywhere. Add reminders in your email program. Sign up to a reminder service such as memotome.com who will send you emails at the necessary time. Whatever it takes.
    Keep it all safe. Put all of your documentation, including bills, vouchers, printed terms and conditions, copies of any written communication with the company, etc all together and in a safe place. Don't forget where they are or allow it all to get spread around the house!
    Send the bills as soon as you get them. Don't leave it until the last minute. When you have everything you need to send your claim, do it THAT DAY!!
    Fill in the provided vouchers carefully and correctly. (if your claim requires vouchers)
    Print out a cashback date schedule. Use the T&Cs to make a table of when you need to claim your cashbacks. Something like THIS: img231.imageshack.us/img…jpg Click Here . Make it as colourful and personalised as you like and stick it somewhere obvious. Maybe add more detailed and fool-proof instructions for yourself to this.

[u Precautions You Can Take to make sure you will receive your cashback

Photocopy everything you send. You will usually have to send the originals, but keep a hard copy of anything you send including bills, letters, emails and anything else you may send the retailer. You can refer back to this if they make a fuss.
    Send claims recorded delivery. This is VITAL. Send all claims by signed-for recorded delivery, or special delivery where possible. That way the retailer can't pretend that they lost your claim because you can prove it wasn't received. Some retailers such as OneStopPhoneShop will accept a recorded delivery number as proof of postage for missing claims. Don't lose the slip you get from the post office for this.
    Do not send multiple claims together. Most retailers will ignore one of the claims if more than one claim is sent in the same envelope. Don't try and save on the postage. Send them separately.
    Pay all bills on time. Don't leave any outstanding bill payments for the next month. Some retailers may see this as grounds to reject your claim.
    Do not change your tariff. Some retailers have rules allowing you to change your tariff after a particular amount of time, however even if this is allowed it can only ever complicate matters. It's best to stick on your original tariff for the duration of your contract.
    Do not change the name of the account holder. It is important that the account holder name on the bill stays the same as the name the retailer has on record.
    Do not change the direct debit details. Again, the direct debit details shouldn't be changed or your claim may be rejected.
    Try not to change the address on the account. Obviously, this cannot always be avoided but it is VITAL that you get in touch with the retailer's customer service team before changing any details with the network.
    It doesn't matter if you make lots of calls or no calls. The retailer will rarely be bothered, and neither will the network. As long as the network are getting their payments and the retailer get their commission then it doesn't bother them.

[u Getting a contract with the intention of selling the phone on

It's important to remember that you pay the full amount to the network each month. It is almost impossible to sell a phone on for the amount of the contract, so you are relying on the cashback. It is upto you to decide whether this risk is worthwhile. Obviously, the more contracts you have the more difficult it is to manage them. Defaulting on paying the network for your mobile bill can and will affect your credit rating.

It's not impossible to claim cashback. It's [u very possible . Just make sure you do it all correctly and follow the Terms and Conditions to the letter and you will be perfectly fine.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

This guide is the intellectual property of its owner. Copyright belongs to the poster, all rights reserved. Copying of this guide in whole or in part is not allowed without permission. Feel free to link to this page.

37 Comments

Ta for credit, small contribution:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3537/cashbackfx8.png

Original Poster

lol. Your list had pretty much all of the points in bold though. I just expanded on them. I wouldn't really have know where to begin without that list and it's something I keep forgetting to do too.

:thumbsup: Thanks. Even if this helps just one person successfully claim their cashback who wouldn't have without it then it's been worthwhile!! I'm sure it will help many more though.

I'm adding a link to this in the major thread. See my signature link for details.

great info guys,i recently sent in a claim to osps, got it returned as i sent it too early i sent bill 4, but they wanted month 4, which as i got the 1st one shortly after connection it didnt count

i did post a thread here asking for advice,the response was to call them,but im not good with cs, so thought i'd chance it, wish i had now

This is all great advice, hope members follow it

i have had no probs claming cahsback just my last claim month 12 seems to be problems i wonder why ? onestopphoneshop i found good with cashback claims they sent you email if details are wrong.

yes they emailed me and returned the paperwork

Original Poster

Remember to leave feedback for retailers in the relevant thread. Visti my signature link for details.

Things like those which have been described here about OSPS are extremely satisfying to read. I'm glad you got the claim returned and another chance. Many companies would just ignore it...

this is great ... thanks Mr Magic !

Thanks guys a really helpful post.

Original Poster

Glad you like it. :thumbsup:

Son should have claimed his cashback in Nov :x

He has all the paperwork etc. Is it worth the bother of trying to claim now. Not sure who it is with.

Original Poster

It'll be too late now. :-(

On a slightly facetious note, if everybody actually managed to claim their cashback successfully...these shemes would quickly disappear, wouldn't they?

Original Poster

Not everyone who uses these deals has the help of HUKD...

Banned

bellboys

On a slightly facetious note, if everybody actually managed to claim … On a slightly facetious note, if everybody actually managed to claim their cashback successfully...these shemes would quickly disappear, wouldn't they?

I think they are gradually disappearing.

The good old days when Carphone used to pay the full 12 months line rental after only 4 months.

[SIZE=2]Could we have a poll on mobile phone retailers who offer cash back? I am just coming to the end of my current contract taken out through Phones 2U Direct. They are extremely poor on sending out cash back claims and in many cases that I have read, appear not to respond to claims at all. A poll rating on how reliable a retailer is and on how promptly they reimburse claims would surely be helpful.[/SIZE]

Original Poster

We already have feedback threads.

hotukdeals.com/for…875

Carphone Warehouse are the most reputable.

Great stuff ]duckmagicuk2, thanks for your effort on writing this article.Something I've found is ensure you have a valid receipt, some company's for example The Link, require you to have a printed receipt (or photocopy) for the phone for each cashback claim. Which is fine if you purchased it in the shop, but if you got on website, you have to phone them up and request one (And they take there time on sending it.) The Email confirmation of the order is not enough. I almost missed out on cashback claim because of this.

Just thought it might be worth noting?

Original Poster

Shall do. It's going in the make sure you have everything you need bit.

had problems with modern communications birmingham based , sent bills on time etc , no cashback receved after 1st 2 month , now dissappearred in hands of trading standards , no hope , be careful

i got a nice cheque from onestopphoneshop (carphonewarehouse) today my last one (4th) allways reliable, and they sent back forms quickly if u sent wrong info or bill etc

Dial-a-phone are very good too!
    wrote back to me saying i'd sent wrong bill to claim and told me which one they needed.

kikid27

Dial-a-phone are very good too! wrote back to me saying i'd sent wrong … Dial-a-phone are very good too! wrote back to me saying i'd sent wrong bill to claim and told me which one they needed.

Nice to know they are so lax.
    Most of the v good deals are on very strict terms, on purpose of course to trip you up so glad to see dial a phone being more fair, friendly and lenient when most others would use that as an excuse to deny a claim.

But a good lesson nonetheless for people to read and follow the guide to the letter.

Ducky

Can I suggest adding to your list of precautions before 'send using recorded delivery';

Photocopy all paperwork before sending it. This will be your proof of *what* was posted in the event of a dispute.

I've seen this advice offered before, and its got to be worth the peace of mind even if you have to use a photocopy shop.

HTH

Ady

Original Poster

Bringing this back up for every-day forum view.

This is becoming even more important due to the inclusion of cashback terms and conditions of a "miss one claim and miss the rest" statement.

As long as you're organised and follow the advice here together with the company's T&Cs you will get your cashback easily. Just ensure that you leave yourself enough time to get the claims in, don't wait until the deadline!!

Good luck.

Alot of cashback deals will be increasing as xmas approaches, only 5months away.

I just wish more mobile deals posted included the cashback details and linked to this thread

Original Poster

The problem with including cashback details is that they could change while the deal is on here...

Never known them to change, but i'll take your experienced word for it

I edited my 2nd post on this thread by the way with a cashback example.

i am thinking of signing up for one of these deals in addition to my current contract so i can have a dedicated phone for phoning home when i start uni in september. i was just wondering, how do you go about cancelling the contract at the end of the 12 months? when do you actually cancel, who do you call or write to? i dont want any additional charges and can imagine me not doing everything right

maybe if anyone has any advice they could also add it to the tips on the front page?

Original Poster

schizoboy

Never known them to change, but i'll take your experienced word for it

It happened with a Phones4U deal lately.

Depends on network to cancel, some want you to write off, others just want their 1months notice, check out various mobile forums for more info

Which deal were you interested in?

im interested in the e2save.com deal with the k790 shine phone - 12 month contract on o2, 12 month free cash back, for 400 mins and 500 texts at £35 a month (well free once done with cashback)

has anyone else gone with this contract or had any dealings with a similar one, would i have to ring o2 to cancel the contract then? and when would i do it

Original Poster

martfox

i am thinking of signing up for one of these deals in addition to my … i am thinking of signing up for one of these deals in addition to my current contract so i can have a dedicated phone for phoning home when i start uni in september. i was just wondering, how do you go about cancelling the contract at the end of the 12 months? when do you actually cancel, who do you call or write to? i dont want any additional charges and can imagine me not doing everything right

You call the NETWORK, e.g. 3, orange, vodafone, etc, with a month's notice. So you'd ring them at the start of the 11th month and say "I'd like to give you a month's notice to cancel my contract when my 12 month contract period is over."

And then you get loads of trying to give you more offers, etc. They usually give you the option to keep it as a pay as you go number. Say YES and then you can keep the number and when you're ready for your next contract you can request a PAC code and keep the same number!!

Hope that's clear. If you need any more help then please let me know.
    Duck.

Thanks, interesting posts:-D

My question is what is wrong if I changed my direct debit details? Will I not be able to claim back my cashback?

11.0 Line Rental Redemption Entitlement (Cashback)

11.1 It is important that you read and understand this entire clause 11 which sets out how to claim your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback). The Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) is a single entitlement towards the cost of your line rental, which is paid on a redemption basis.
    The payment is paid in 5 equal instalments by BACS directly to the account details provided at the time of your order. It is paid within 45 working days of our receiving your claim
    With your Mobile Phone Delivery E-mail you will receive 5 Cashback Redemption Vouchers numbered from 1 to 5 which must be used to claim your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback). Simply send each voucher in numbered sequence order on each Instalment Date and send it to us with a bill evidencing that you have been connected for the periods set out in clause

11.2 if you have a 12 month contract or clause 11.3 if you have an 18 month contract at the address below
    Line Rental Entitlements (Cashback)
    The Mobile Outlet, Cashback Dept.
    3/4 Riverdale House
    Dockfield Road
    Shipley
    BD17 7AD

11.2 If you have a 12 month contract in order to claim your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) you are required to do the following:
    On Instalment Date 1 (120 days from and including the date of connection) send to us the Cashback Redemption Voucher Numbered 1 with a bill showing that you have been connected for a minimum of 120 days.
    On Instalment Date 2 (210 days from and including the date of connection). Send to us the Cashback Redemption Voucher Numbered 2 with a bill showing that you have been connected for a minimum of 210 days.
    On Instalment Date 3 (270 days from and including the date of connection). Send to us the Cashback Redemption Voucher Numbered 3 with a bill showing that you have been connected for a minimum of 270 days.
    On Instalment Date 4 (330 days from and including the date of connection). Send to us the Cashback Redemption Voucher Numbered 4 with a bill showing that you have been connected for a minimum of 330 days.
    On Instalment Date 5 (360 days from and including the date of connection). Send to us the Cashback Redemption Voucher Numbered 5 with a bill showing that you have been connected for a minimum of 360 days.

11.4 In order to claim your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) you are required to:

11.4.1 make the claim in writing and comply with the terms of clause 11.

11.4.2 claim each instalment of the Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) Claim within 30 days of the relevant Instalment Date. If your claim is received outside this 30 day period, your cash back entitlement will be void.

11.4.3 send in your original bills to us. Copies are only acceptable if your network or service provider has provided you with copy bills verified as copies. Original bills are not returned unless a self addressed envelope is provided.

11.4.4 have paid your phone bill on time by direct debit by the date specified on the bill

11.4.5 remain on the same monthly tariff from the one originally selected at the time of your order. If you subsequently change to a lower monthly tariff you will lose the Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback)

11.5 Each instalment of the Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) must be claimed individually. We are unable to accept more than one claim per envelope.

11.6 It is your responsibility to ensure that we actually receive your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) claim. You should therefore ensure that your initial Line Rental Entitlement claim and any subsequent claim is sent to us by a guaranteed delivery service. We recommend the Royal Mail Signed for Service.

11.7 We will notify you of receipt of your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) claim within 14 working days of our having received your claim

11.8 Any queries relating to Line Rental Entitlements (Cashback) after 14 days of placing your order must be made to [email protected]. If any documents are missing from your delivery, you must notify the cash back team within 14 days of receiving your mobile phone. Duplicate vouchers cannot be issued after this period.

11.9 You must include your original dispatch note with your first claim. This applys to both 12 and 18 month contracts.

[COLOR="Magenta"]These are my T & C with Mobile Outlet. My contract started 7/09/07, and I have received my first bill today dated 7/9/07. Reading above am I right in thinking all I need to do is send in the top copy of these bills 7th Jan, 7th Apr, 7th Jun, 7th Aug and 7th Sep I understand the bit whereby I send the dispatch note off with my first claim, just need to clarify I have the right bills so I can set the alarm on my phone to remind myself. Thanks[/COLOR]

Hi,
    I hope this is the right thread to ask this question. Please excuse this being my first post but i'm a bit stuck and people here seem to know what theyre talking about!
    I made the mistake of sending 2 bills off in one envelope for the two mobile phone accounts on which I am due cashback, I had signed up to the two identical contracts on the same date and thought this would not be a problem.
    I even enclosed in the letter a covering note bringing the attention of the reciever to the two claims enclosed.
    Unfortunately as one of the phones was in use by my girlfriend it did not come to my attention that they had not processed one of the claims until after the 60 day period in which they allow you to apply for them.
    I have since contacted carphone warehouse finance to request a copy of the (8th) bill, i am hoping as their redemptions department blatantly ignnored the claim sent during the 60 day period I may somehow be able to get them to pay up!
    Is there any chance they (I think e2save handle CPW cashback) will do this? And can anyone offer advice on the best way to approach them regarding this claim?

My contracts are for a 12 month term with 02 at carphone warehouse, the claim that was ignored was the 2nd of three and enclosed the 8th bill, unfortunately I have been very strapped for time for the last few months and have just recieved the 12th bill for both accounts, both of which also need to be sent off to receive the final cashback payments. A bit of a mess!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Angiedee

11.0 Line Rental Redemption Entitlement (Cashback) 11.1 It is important … 11.0 Line Rental Redemption Entitlement (Cashback) 11.1 It is important that you read and understand this entire clause 11 which sets out how to claim your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback). The Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) is a single entitlement towards the cost of your line rental, which is paid on a redemption basis. The payment is paid in 5 equal instalments by BACS directly to the account details provided at the time of your order. It is paid within 45 working days of our receiving your claim With your Mobile Phone Delivery E-mail you will receive 5 Cashback Redemption Vouchers numbered from 1 to 5 which must be used to claim your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback). Simply send each voucher in numbered sequence order on each Instalment Date and send it to us with a bill evidencing that you have been connected for the periods set out in clause 11.2 if you have a 12 month contract or clause 11.3 if you have an 18 month contract at the address below Line Rental Entitlements (Cashback) The Mobile Outlet, Cashback Dept. 3/4 Riverdale House Dockfield Road Shipley BD17 7AD 11.2 If you have a 12 month contract in order to claim your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) you are required to do the following: On Instalment Date 1 (120 days from and including the date of connection) send to us the Cashback Redemption Voucher Numbered 1 with a bill showing that you have been connected for a minimum of 120 days. On Instalment Date 2 (210 days from and including the date of connection). Send to us the Cashback Redemption Voucher Numbered 2 with a bill showing that you have been connected for a minimum of 210 days. On Instalment Date 3 (270 days from and including the date of connection). Send to us the Cashback Redemption Voucher Numbered 3 with a bill showing that you have been connected for a minimum of 270 days. On Instalment Date 4 (330 days from and including the date of connection). Send to us the Cashback Redemption Voucher Numbered 4 with a bill showing that you have been connected for a minimum of 330 days. On Instalment Date 5 (360 days from and including the date of connection). Send to us the Cashback Redemption Voucher Numbered 5 with a bill showing that you have been connected for a minimum of 360 days. 11.4 In order to claim your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) you are required to: 11.4.1 make the claim in writing and comply with the terms of clause 11. 11.4.2 claim each instalment of the Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) Claim within 30 days of the relevant Instalment Date. If your claim is received outside this 30 day period, your cash back entitlement will be void. 11.4.3 send in your original bills to us. Copies are only acceptable if your network or service provider has provided you with copy bills verified as copies. Original bills are not returned unless a self addressed envelope is provided. 11.4.4 have paid your phone bill on time by direct debit by the date specified on the bill 11.4.5 remain on the same monthly tariff from the one originally selected at the time of your order. If you subsequently change to a lower monthly tariff you will lose the Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) 11.5 Each instalment of the Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) must be claimed individually. We are unable to accept more than one claim per envelope. 11.6 It is your responsibility to ensure that we actually receive your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) claim. You should therefore ensure that your initial Line Rental Entitlement claim and any subsequent claim is sent to us by a guaranteed delivery service. We recommend the Royal Mail Signed for Service. 11.7 We will notify you of receipt of your Line Rental Entitlement (Cashback) claim within 14 working days of our having received your claim 11.8 Any queries relating to Line Rental Entitlements (Cashback) after 14 days of placing your order must be made to [email protected] If any documents are missing from your delivery, you must notify the cash back team within 14 days of receiving your mobile phone. Duplicate vouchers cannot be issued after this period. 11.9 You must include your original dispatch note with your first claim. This applys to both 12 and 18 month contracts. [COLOR="Magenta"]These are my T & C with Mobile Outlet. My contract started 7/09/07, and I have received my first bill today dated 7/9/07. Reading above am I right in thinking all I need to do is send in the top copy of these bills 7th Jan, 7th Apr, 7th Jun, 7th Aug and 7th Sep I understand the bit whereby I send the dispatch note off with my first claim, just need to clarify I have the right bills so I can set the alarm on my phone to remind myself. Thanks[/COLOR]

:w00t:

Sorry those guys are .. Doggy Dealers ...

If you still can cancel the contract at (7.9.! ) Do so @ once

.. they will protract ANY Line Rental Entitlement .. over many months .. (MINE - the 2nd payment was due in MAY .. and SMALL CLAIMS COURT will have to rectify this now.. )

and are one of the most awful providers I have ever dealt with ...

They acknowledge receiving the completed .. claim .. in time and ,,, then just die on you .. hoping 'you go away' (give up)

Their tricks include contracts that only exist on the Web, and only remain downloadable for two weeks, so subsequently you have no proof of how much you can claim. Most often people face huge delays, difficulties and resistance when claiming.

You will be my witness ... unfortunately .

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
    2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211
    3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2235
    4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917265

See more discussions