Cashback tracking process

Posted 20th Dec 2019Edited by:"mutley1"
Anyone know how TCB track cashback process actually works?

1. How does TCB know that I have made a purchase?
When I click through to the retailer, TCB would know of the visit but how do they know that I actually completed a purchase and so add the transaction on my account as tracked with status as 'pending'?

2. They get confirmation from the retailer that I have made the purchase months down the line and so my cashback status changes to 'confirmed'.
How are they tracking this confirmation on the purchase? I thought it was from my email with TCB matching with the order placed and paid for at the retailer, but I was told by someone that this is not the case and you can have a different email on TCB to that of the actual order. Anyone actually used a different email address on TCB to their order without problems?

3. I am aware that you are not supposed to clear cookies after the purchase until the transaction has tracked so how does the cookies actually work for this first stage of the tracking?
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
I always had a page after the purchase has been made (from TCB) saying that the transaction tracked successfully. I'm not a member anymore so this may have changed...
Phsycronix20/12/2019 15:44

I always had a page after the purchase has been made (from TCB) saying …I always had a page after the purchase has been made (from TCB) saying that the transaction tracked successfully. I'm not a member anymore so this may have changed...

it doesn't state the transaction has tracked. it only state that your visit has been recorded. the transaction does not get added to your account until 30 minutes or so after your purchase, and can take up to a couple of days to do so if it a purchase made on ebay.

the transaction can also fail to track and i understand that this first stage of the tracking has something to do with the cookies on your pc but i don't know the technicality of how the cookies actually work in this first tracking process. what is it in the cookies that are being stored and read? i can only assume that the actual purchase being completed is at the retailer is stored in your cookies, which is read by TCB when you have completed your purchase and log out of TCB.
mutley120/12/2019 15:52

Anyone know how TCB track cashback process actually works?

Cookies.
mutley120/12/2019 15:52

Anyone actually used a different email address on TCB to their order …Anyone actually used a different email address on TCB to their order without problems?

Multiple individual times. Cannot immediately recall ever having an issue.
AndyRoyd20/12/2019 16:21

Cookies.

i think i have worked out that TCB uses cookies to track the transaction and add it to your account with pending status.
but how does TCB then get this confirmed with the retailer as the retailer will not have access to the cookies on your pc?
mutley120/12/2019 16:24

i think i have worked out that TCB uses cookies to track the transaction …i think i have worked out that TCB uses cookies to track the transaction and add it to your account with pending status. but how does TCB then get this confirmed with the retailer as the retailer will not have access to the cookies on your pc?

From the referral ref supplied by TCB URL when you click thru.
AndyRoyd20/12/2019 16:26

From the referral ref supplied by TCB URL when you click thru.

so TCB has a reference number attached to the transaction and then they ask the retailer to match this with the reference that they have on their own site that is stored with the purchase made?
mutley120/12/2019 16:32

so TCB has a reference number attached to the transaction and then they …so TCB has a reference number attached to the transaction and then they ask the retailer to match this with the reference that they have on their own site that is stored with the purchase made?

Would suggest "transaction" is not the ideal description; "the specific click-thru" may be more appropriate.
mutley120/12/2019 16:32

so TCB has a reference number attached to the transaction and then they …so TCB has a reference number attached to the transaction and then they ask the retailer to match this with the reference that they have on their own site that is stored with the purchase made?

Maybe most concisely described as "if this click-thru reference subsequently results in a purchase, please let us know".
AndyRoyd20/12/2019 16:44

Maybe most concisely described as "if this click-thru reference …Maybe most concisely described as "if this click-thru reference subsequently results in a purchase, please let us know".

so the retailer must store the referral click on their website and confirm this to TCB months later, who then changes the transaction status on your account to confirmed.

so this means that if your transaction is tracked on TCB but then gets declined by the retailer then it means that the retailer has failed to record the referral click with that purchase, if your purchase meets all the t&c.

I think I understand what is going on now.
Edited by: "mutley1" 20th Dec 2019
mutley120/12/2019 16:50

so the retailer must store the referral click on their website and confirm …so the retailer must store the referral click on their website and confirm this to TCB months later, who then changes the transaction status on your account to confirmed.so this means that if your transaction is tracked on TCB but then gets declined by the retailer then it means that the retailer has failed to record the referral click with that purchase, if your purchase meets all the t&c. I think I understand what is going on now.

That's the basic theory, but there is usually at least one possibly more 3rd parties sandwiched in between TCB and the end retailer. This effectively adds a couple of layers / handshakes that could go south at any stage, be it the initial referral stage or the reporting stage(s). Then there's the concept of "confirmation" of which there are multiple occurences, such as comfirmation of eligibility for claim of payment from retailer, confirmation of retailer having accepted the claim for payment, confirmation of payment intending to be made by retailer to 3rd party, confirmation of retailer having made payment to 3rd party, confirmation of 3rd party having received payment from retailer, confirmation of 3rd party intending to hand payment to another 3rd party, etc etc. I'm sure there's a marketing genuis on this forum that could explain better than me.
AndyRoyd20/12/2019 17:02

That's the basic theory, but there is usually at least one possibly more …That's the basic theory, but there is usually at least one possibly more 3rd parties sandwiched in between TCB and the end retailer. This effectively adds a couple of layers / handshakes that could go south at any stage, be it the initial referral stage or the reporting stage(s). Then there's the concept of "confirmation" of which there are multiple occurences, such as comfirmation of eligibility for claim of payment from retailer, confirmation of retailer having accepted the claim for payment, confirmation of payment intending to be made by retailer to 3rd party, confirmation of retailer having made payment to 3rd party, confirmation of 3rd party having received payment from retailer, confirmation of 3rd party intending to hand payment to another 3rd party, etc etc. I'm sure there's a marketing genuis on this forum that could explain better than me.

layers between TCB and the retailer? this sounds a bit overly complicated. i can accept the process where there is no one else involved but someone else involved on top of TCB sounds a bit OTT. are you sure about this?
mutley120/12/2019 17:21

layers between TCB and the retailer? this sounds a bit overly …layers between TCB and the retailer? this sounds a bit overly complicated. i can accept the process where there is no one else involved but someone else involved on top of TCB sounds a bit OTT. are you sure about this?

If you watch the URL bar after a TCB/Quidco clickthrough, you can often actually see it redirect via affiliate networks, sometimes a few times, before you get to your intended retailer. Alternatively, if you have an adblocker such as uBlock, it often actively prevents the clicks through to the affiliate networks unless you manually authorise them (which is why using an adblocker if you hope to get cashback is not a good idea!)
Ferris20/12/2019 17:36

If you watch the URL bar after a TCB/Quidco clickthrough, you can often …If you watch the URL bar after a TCB/Quidco clickthrough, you can often actually see it redirect via affiliate networks, sometimes a few times, before you get to your intended retailer. Alternatively, if you have an adblocker such as uBlock, it often actively prevents the clicks through to the affiliate networks unless you manually authorise them (which is why using an adblocker if you hope to get cashback is not a good idea!)

wow. it is a wonder that any cashback gets tracked accurately at all, going through so many parties!
mutley120/12/2019 17:44

wow. it is a wonder that any cashback gets tracked accurately at all, …wow. it is a wonder that any cashback gets tracked accurately at all, going through so many parties!

Same thing happens when you click a link on here.
Edited by: "eslick" 20th Dec 2019
mutley120/12/2019 17:44

wow. it is a wonder that any cashback gets tracked accurately at all, …wow. it is a wonder that any cashback gets tracked accurately at all, going through so many parties!

It’s in TCB’s interests to make sure it gets tracked as no doubt they get a cut of the cashback too!
bluep20/12/2019 18:18

It’s in TCB’s interests to make sure it gets tracked as no doubt they get a …It’s in TCB’s interests to make sure it gets tracked as no doubt they get a cut of the cashback too!

there is a motive to my question as I have had a tracked transaction declined by sportsdirect, which was tracked on TCB with pending status.

i wanted to understand the process to work out if TCB is pulling a fast one and not passing the money over or whether sportsdirect is pulling a fast one and not coughing up. I had raised a ticket with TCB and they have had a response from sportsdirect that they could not allocate the transaction to TCB as the final referral site.

it makes more sense now how things can go wrong with the tracking process.
I'd trust tcb a lot more than I would sports direct... If you clicked an offer on here the referral may have gone to this site instead
jonathan_d20/12/2019 20:57

I'd trust tcb a lot more than I would sports direct... If you clicked an …I'd trust tcb a lot more than I would sports direct... If you clicked an offer on here the referral may have gone to this site instead

now that i understand the process, clicking willy nilly may confuse the tracking. but also that it is not impossible for the referral link to fail as it goes through so many party before it gets to the final destination.

i have been quite lucky with TCB and the majority of my purchases have been successful. this is the only purchase that i have made with sportsdirect online through TCB so it does make me suspect that sportsdirect is an unreliable cashback retailer.
Not TCB but @Quidco@Quidco_Rep might be able to help?
Hey guys can't comment on how TCB process their cashback, however I can go through how we do things here at Quidco!

Cashback is a referral fee which is paid to us from the retailer, that we pass on to our members as cashback. It's tracked by browser cookies; when you make a purchase a browser cookie is tracked over to the retailer in order for the retailer to see where the referral has come from, and when they see it's come from Quidco, they pay us the funds and we pass those over!

If there are multiple windows open or browser cookies haven't been cleared before making the purchase, this can mean that there are competing cookies on the browser that get in the way of the Quidco cookie, and can affect cashback.

Hope that helps! -Joseph (Joseph@quidco.com)
Quidco_Rep23/12/2019 11:08

Hey guys can't comment on how TCB process their cashback, however I …Hey guys can't comment on how TCB process their cashback, however I can go through how we do things here at Quidco!Cashback is a referral fee which is paid to us from the retailer, that we pass on to our members as cashback. It's tracked by browser cookies; when you make a purchase a browser cookie is tracked over to the retailer in order for the retailer to see where the referral has come from, and when they see it's come from Quidco, they pay us the funds and we pass those over!If there are multiple windows open or browser cookies haven't been cleared before making the purchase, this can mean that there are competing cookies on the browser that get in the way of the Quidco cookie, and can affect cashback.Hope that helps! -Joseph (Joseph@quidco.com)

thank you for taking the time to reply.

so if i were to clear cookies on my pc then log into quidco and click through to retailer A, but i can't make up my mind whether to buy a particular product or not after reading the specs on it. i abandon the process.

30 minutes later, i decide that i do want to buy that product, i close all the windows, clear the cookies on my pc and start the whole process again, but this time i do complete the purchase at retailer A after clicking through from quidco.

the transaction eventually gets confirmed by the retailer and it changes to confirmed status. does the retailer see that the referral has come from quidco via the 2nd click and not the first? that it is the 2nd click through that had resulted in a completed transaction and that the first click was abandoned by the customer? or does the retailer not able to distinguish which actual click really resulted in the final purchase?
Quidco_Rep23/12/2019 11:08

Hey guys can't comment on how TCB process their cashback, however I …Hey guys can't comment on how TCB process their cashback, however I can go through how we do things here at Quidco!Cashback is a referral fee which is paid to us from the retailer, that we pass on to our members as cashback. It's tracked by browser cookies; when you make a purchase a browser cookie is tracked over to the retailer in order for the retailer to see where the referral has come from, and when they see it's come from Quidco, they pay us the funds and we pass those over!If there are multiple windows open or browser cookies haven't been cleared before making the purchase, this can mean that there are competing cookies on the browser that get in the way of the Quidco cookie, and can affect cashback.Hope that helps! -Joseph (Joseph@quidco.com)

Well it will have helped most of us Jospeh. Obviously not everyone.
mutley123/12/2019 13:47

thank you for taking the time to reply.so if i were to clear cookies on my …thank you for taking the time to reply.so if i were to clear cookies on my pc then log into quidco and click through to retailer A, but i can't make up my mind whether to buy a particular product or not after reading the specs on it. i abandon the process. 30 minutes later, i decide that i do want to buy that product, i close all the windows, clear the cookies on my pc and start the whole process again, but this time i do complete the purchase at retailer A after clicking through from quidco.the transaction eventually gets confirmed by the retailer and it changes to confirmed status. does the retailer see that the referral has come from quidco via the 2nd click and not the first? that it is the 2nd click through that had resulted in a completed transaction and that the first click was abandoned by the customer? or does the retailer not able to distinguish which actual click really resulted in the final purchase?

In your situation, each of the two clicks will be on separate cookies, and the retailer will be able to distinguish between the two. To continue from this example, it's possible that you click through and make a purchase, then 30 mins later click through and make another purchase. A retailer would be able to see both of these as seperate purchases.
Quidco_Rep24/12/2019 10:21

In your situation, each of the two clicks will be on separate cookies, and …In your situation, each of the two clicks will be on separate cookies, and the retailer will be able to distinguish between the two. To continue from this example, it's possible that you click through and make a purchase, then 30 mins later click through and make another purchase. A retailer would be able to see both of these as seperate purchases.

thanks for the info. from what you say the cookie link is very precise and so the actual completed transaction is linked to a specific click and not the retailer matching up the purchase at their end with a stream of clicks.

on my failed transaction with sportsdirect, the retailer states that the reason for the rejected claim is that the actual purchase can not be ascertained to be clicked through from TCB, that they do not see TCB as the last click before the transaction was completed.

from your explanation, and i know it is in relation to quidco, but i would guess that the technical process of click referral will be the same for all cashback sites, the referral cookie has not worked and so sportsdirect can not see the cookie link to TCB. i will make up my own mind on this response from the retailer, but thank you for explaining the process, that is really helpful.
mutley124/12/2019 11:52

i will make up my own mind on this response from the retailer

It makes no difference what you decide. If they say that TCB weren't the last click through, that's it. You get nothing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions