Expired

Cashing a cheque

Found 28th Mar 2014
Hi there does anyone know what Id I will need to cash a cheque? I don't have photo id and my bank does not accept cheques as it's a prepaid ffrees account.

I live near cash converters,cash generators and the money shop.

Thanks.
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
I suspect you'll need photo id wherever you go
hmmm, lol so much for winning a competition :-(
Edited by moderator: "Swear filter bypass" 28th Mar 2014
I don't know what a prepaid ffrees account is, but can't you just pay it in and wait for it to clear rather than cash it?
Bobbajob

I don't know what a prepaid ffrees account is, but can't you just pay it … I don't know what a prepaid ffrees account is, but can't you just pay it in and wait for it to clear rather than cash it?

It's not a bank so no its just a prepaid account look them up its like a basic account but don't offer things bank do like I can't set up dd or anything just pay in money via card,paypoint or wages
time to open a bank account perhaps?

Takes a few minutes online then pay cheque in the next day
Edited by: "chocci" 28th Mar 2014
if I can't find some where to cash it then I'm going av to I just don't like banks touching my money haha sorry nationwide had altogether 45,000 in a matter of 6 months and ive had so much trouble with them and MY money never again
If it's a personal cheque made out to you by someone else they won't cash it anyway because you can't change the payee to them. Only the person who made out the cheque can.

They'll cash a personal cheque on the spot. I.E A cheque made out by you to them, usually with a cheque guarantee card or photo id or some such.
Edited by: "Krooner" 28th Mar 2014
Krooner

If it's a personal cheque made out to you by someone else they won't cash … If it's a personal cheque made out to you by someone else they won't cash it anyway because you can't change the payee to them. Only the person who made out the cheque can.They'll cash a personal cheque on the spot. I.E A cheque made out by you to them, usually with a cheque guarantee card or photo id or some such.

it's a 3rd party cheque and ive cashed one before but not down here where I live now
well I'm going cash converters, cash generators and the money shop so will report back that's if any cash it.

If not I've applyed for a Halifax cash card just need to go in and take documents
The money shop will cash a cheque but they will charge a large fee for doing so.

Just go into a bank and open a basic account.
I've never heard of an adult in the UK not having a bank account.

Oh well, there's a first time for everything.
How different. You'll have a tough time trying to avoid banks (at all) throughout your life. Also, don't you pay to cash a cheque? You wouldn't at a bank...

You do know your money (up to £85,000) is government-protected at ANY bank (or single institution) don't you? In fact, if you're paying enough money in per month (i.e. wages) then something like Barclays or the Santander 123 account would save (and make) you money.

Sounds as if you had an unfortunate 'incident' but I wonder if this '"ffrees" has any kind of financial protection against loss - as the banking industry does. Hmmm...

All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix

How different. You'll have a tough time trying to avoid banks (at all) … How different. You'll have a tough time trying to avoid banks (at all) throughout your life. Also, don't you pay to cash a cheque? You wouldn't at a bank...You do know your money (up to £85,000) is government-protected at ANY bank (or single institution) don't you? In fact, if you're paying enough money in per month (i.e. wages) then something like Barclays or the Santander 123 account would save (and make) you money.Sounds as if you had an unfortunate 'incident' but I wonder if this '"ffrees" has any kind of financial protection against loss - as the banking industry does. Hmmm...All the best, Phsy.

Santander 1,2,3 account will not make you money unless you also have direct debits (or enough money in it to get interest), in fact it costs £2 a month.
awears19

if I can't find some where to cash it then I'm going av to I just don't … if I can't find some where to cash it then I'm going av to I just don't like banks touching my money haha sorry nationwide had altogether 45,000 in a matter of 6 months and ive had so much trouble with them and MY money never again

How do you get paid your JSA?
Twinkle182

Santander 1,2,3 account will not make you money unless you also have … Santander 1,2,3 account will not make you money unless you also have direct debits (or enough money in it to get interest), in fact it costs £2 a month.

Well, I didn't want to go into the 'gory' details but 3% interest on balances up to £20,000 is pretty much earning you money, isn't it? And the £2 p/m fee is usually dwarved by the savings on bills etc.

Anyway, looking at this Ffrees, I don't see how they are any different in operation from another "Online" institution such as First Direct. Apart from looking at the FAQ's...

Is my money safe?
-------------------------------
The money paid in to Ffrees Accounts is held by Contis Financial Services Ltd. in a UK account of a UK authorised bank, which is covered by the deposit protection scheme. Contis is authorised by the FCA under the EMoney Directive. Ffrees itself is not regulated by the FCA and does not hold money paid into Ffrees Accounts.

Wouldn't touch it, myself.

What does 'tickle' me though is the fact that awears19's money is held by this company - which hold his money in; yep; a UK bank...X)
Phsycronix

Well, I didn't want to go into the 'gory' details but 3% interest on … Well, I didn't want to go into the 'gory' details but 3% interest on balances up to £20,000 is pretty much earning you money, isn't it? And the £2 p/m fee is usually dwarved by the savings on bills etc.Anyway, looking at this Ffrees, I don't see how they are any different in operation from another "Online" institution such as First Direct. Apart from looking at the FAQ's...Is my money safe?-------------------------------The money paid in to Ffrees Accounts is held by Contis Financial Services Ltd. in a UK account of a UK authorised bank, which is covered by the deposit protection scheme. Contis is authorised by the FCA under the EMoney Directive. Ffrees itself is not regulated by the FCA and does not hold money paid into Ffrees Accounts.Wouldn't touch it, myself.

As the OP doesn't have a bank account I would assume he doesn't have direct debits - so therefore no savings.

In my account my cashback normally pays the £2 fee, but without the council tax being paid in Feb and March, I only got £1 cash back.
Not everyone pays things by direct debit - the only things I pay this wasy are Sky and my mobile phone.

But that is a side issue anyway, i agree that the OP should have a bank account
Twinkle182

i agree that the OP should have a bank account

In a weird kind of way, he has got a bank account - it's just not run by him!
awears19

if I can't find some where to cash it then I'm going av to I just don't … if I can't find some where to cash it then I'm going av to I just don't like banks touching my money haha sorry nationwide had altogether 45,000 in a matter of 6 months and ive had so much trouble with them and MY money never again

how did nw get £45000 of your money?
No bad, doesn't trust banks, £45k in six months.

I just don't understand this thread, but I think you might find a few things in life get tough without a bank account. Anyway each to their own.
thought this was going to thread where mutley is asking the best way to cash a £3million cheque for a min
I cash it at a independent jewellers they just wanted proof of address and something with signature
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants