Expired

Cashing a cheque from HMRC

Found 8th Dec 2011
I have been lucky enough to get a tax refund from HMRC and they have sent me a cheque for it!

Problem is I'm in the process of changing bank accounts and have closed my old one already! My new one isn't going to be a ready for a while. Is there any places or any way I can cash it with my old bank and they give me cash On the spot?
Community Updates
Misc
18 Comments
Original Poster Banned
Must note, don't want to pay a fortune for it either!
Did you not use your new bank to deal with the switch?
i also got mine back but in my maiden name hope the bank will still except it
Original Poster Banned
Ilnf

Did you not use your new bank to deal with the switch?

Well I haven't fully decided which bank to go with yet, so no!
Why would you close a bank account before sorting out a new one?!
mceverready

It only takes a few minutes to open a current account online, just do that for a highstreet bank and once open then pop in to the branch and deposit it.
Or there are probably rip off places in town which will cash cheques and charge you a percentage.
Also, cheques are valid for 3 or 6 months, I can't remember, so if you don't need the money pronto then you could always wait until your new bank account is open.
Seems odd though cancelling a bank account when you don't have another one in place.
Original Poster Banned
sickly sweet

It only takes a few minutes to open a current account online, just do … It only takes a few minutes to open a current account online, just do that for a highstreet bank and once open then pop in to the branch and deposit it.Or there are probably rip off places in town which will cash cheques and charge you a percentage.

I am a bit dubious about those places!!

May just have to be patient!!
sickly sweet

Also, cheques are valid for 3 or 6 months, I can't remember, so if you … Also, cheques are valid for 3 or 6 months, I can't remember, so if you don't need the money pronto then you could always wait until your new bank account is open.Seems odd though cancelling a bank account when you don't have another one in place.

Cheques are actually valid for 6 YEARS although receiving banks may refuse to accept them after 6 months.
Seems a strange way to do it but I guess you have your reasons. Walk into a bank, as long as you have correct ID etc they'll open it straight away.
Ha ha what idiot closes a bank account before opening a new one! Did you think you were making some big impressive statement like they actually care. The only person you hurt was yourself.
Original Poster Banned
gbspurs

Ha ha what idiot closes a bank account before opening a new one! Did you … Ha ha what idiot closes a bank account before opening a new one! Did you think you were making some big impressive statement like they actually care. The only person you hurt was yourself.

What a mong.

You have made some very presumptuous statements.

I didn't close it to make a statement! I closed it because an existing offer came to an end.

I have other accounts but in business names, hence not being able to cash a HMRC cheque in to that.
If it's not crossed (i.e. two lines through it), you can cash it at any post office - just take some ID with you.
I like they way you challenge my "presumptions statements" with a personal offensive insult! What a man.

If you notice I made no presumptions but asked questions like "what idiot....?" and "did you think?"

Holy bad attention to detail batman!
Original Poster Banned
gbspurs

I like they way you challenge my "presumptions statements" with a … I like they way you challenge my "presumptions statements" with a personal offensive insult! What a man.If you notice I made no presumptions but asked questions like "what idiot....?" and "did you think?"Holy bad attention to detail batman!

Well to be fair you called me an idiot in your post.

It is typical of this forum for people to presume and to criticise and mock everyone's situation. There is no real need to contribute to this thread if you don't wish to assist.

I look forward to certain members (who seem to post their inbred humour in the majority of posts on here) to come back with some brilliant witty response.
Again I said "what kind of idiot" so I'm not directly implying you are an idiot and Since then you have clarified that you do hold a bank account just not a personal one which isn't as stupid as someone closing there bank and not having any. Not that you need it from me, but in light of all the facts I wouldn't class you as an idiot!

mceverready

Not really living up to your name then. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to have an account remain open, for the little things in life, like needing cash?
Original Poster Banned
moob

Not really living up to your name then. Wouldn't it have been a good idea … Not really living up to your name then. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to have an account remain open, for the little things in life, like needing cash?

As explained in prev posts, I do have a business account for cash flow, but it's in a business name, so can't pay the cheque in to that account.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions