Casio "Electro Luminescence" Watch Was Very Dim, Now Not Lighting At All? Faulty Or Does It Need A New Battery?

Found 1st FebEdited by:"louiselouise"
I'm hoping this isn't a dum-dum question. I picked up a cheapie retro Casio (A168WG-9EF) and as I had such fondness for the Indiglo Timex Watch I had 20-odd years ago, I went for the Electro Luminescence one (the whole Casio/Illuminator description confuses me, but, anyway).
2887112.jpgIt was purchased from Amazon Warehouse - had all the tags/packaging and looks real, CASIO on the clasp, two serial numbers on the back where the bracelet meets the face. It came with clear cellophane over the bracelet and face, blue cellophane on the clasp. So, I assume that it is nearly-new.

One thing is bugging me. The lovely turquoise backlight was very, very dim at first but I put it down to it being daytime. Now nothing is happening at all.

Is the watch faulty or does it just need a new battery? I tried a few watch forums but nobody really seemed to offer much insight, just some maybes and perhaps-es.

Thanks for any replies.

Community Updates
AskElectronics
12 Comments
Normally with a low battery the LCD would dim when you press the backlight. I think you've found out what other people did in the 80s that the lights on Casio watches weren't very good. A lot like the original game boy advance screen.
kester768 h, 49 m ago

Normally with a low battery the LCD would dim when you press the …Normally with a low battery the LCD would dim when you press the backlight. I think you've found out what other people did in the 80s that the lights on Casio watches weren't very good. A lot like the original game boy advance screen.

I'm happy with the watch, I didn't say it wasn't very good. I think the clue is that it came from Amazon Warehouse - but I'm sure you're just as likely to get low battery items from New stock, it's the luck of the draw with watches.

Just wanted to determine if it's that, or a fault. But thanks for your answer
Edited by: "louiselouise" 1st Feb
louiselouise4 h, 16 m ago

I'm happy with the watch, I didn't say it wasn't very good. I think the …I'm happy with the watch, I didn't say it wasn't very good. I think the clue is that it came from Amazon Warehouse - but I'm sure you're just as likely to get low battery items from New stock, it's the luck of the draw with watches.Just wanted to determine if it's that, or a fault. But thanks for your answer

The el lighting technology just can't compete modern devices and only really looks bright in dark environments so it's hard to gauge against modern displays. Best option is to try another watch with EL a see how they compare.
kester7643 m ago

The el lighting technology just can't compete modern devices and only …The el lighting technology just can't compete modern devices and only really looks bright in dark environments so it's hard to gauge against modern displays. Best option is to try another watch with EL a see how they compare.

That isn't what I'm asking - Indiglo and Electro Luminescence are the same technologies (confirmed on Watchuseek) so I've had experience of this display before (re the Indiglo model I mentioned from years back in the original post - and other watches I've seen).

I want to know if it needs a new battery or it's faulty? It's quite a simple question and the information is all there.
louiselouise2 m ago

That isn't what I'm asking - Indiglo and Electro Luminescence are the same …That isn't what I'm asking - Indiglo and Electro Luminescence are the same technologies (confirmed on Watchuseek) so I've had experience of this display before (re the Indiglo model I mentioned from years back in the original post - and other watches I've seen).I want to know if it needs a new battery or it's faulty? It's quite a simple question and the information is all there.

New battery then.
kester762 m ago

New battery then.

Thanks, but I'm not sure you're that confident. It would be good if someone who has experience of these has some insight.

I'll take it along to a Casio-approved retailer sometime soon, either way.
louiselouise6 m ago

That isn't what I'm asking - Indiglo and Electro Luminescence are the same …That isn't what I'm asking - Indiglo and Electro Luminescence are the same technologies (confirmed on Watchuseek) so I've had experience of this display before (re the Indiglo model I mentioned from years back in the original post - and other watches I've seen).I want to know if it needs a new battery or it's faulty? It's quite a simple question and the information is all there.

In my experience of watches with an illuminated display what you have described is what happens when the battery is low.
MIDURIX16 m ago

In my experience of watches with an illuminated display what you have …In my experience of watches with an illuminated display what you have described is what happens when the battery is low.

Thanks very much Obviously I have tested the watch in darkness (in bed) and during the day. It had very faint EL light out of the box and isn't working at all now.

Thinking about it, I actually did buy a cheap digi for my youngest niece that was DOA (from Amazon Warehouse), still DOA when I tried changing the battery. Always tempted to think their worst with Warehouse stock - from experience
louiselouise3 m ago

Thanks very much Obviously I have tested the watch in darkness (in …Thanks very much Obviously I have tested the watch in darkness (in bed) and during the day. It had very faint EL light out of the box and isn't working at all now.

I bought a Braun watch from the Amazon warehouse not long ago and it keeps popping up with low battery, after searching around it should last for 2-4 years, so both the watches might have been sitting around for a bit.
We have an EL casio and you can easily see the blue back light during the day nevermind at night no problem. I'd guess its faulty.
dcx_badass3 m ago

We have an EL casio and you can easily see the blue back light during the …We have an EL casio and you can easily see the blue back light during the day nevermind at night no problem. I'd guess its faulty.

This is all I gleaned from watch threads about Indiglo/EL watches - some said it had a low battery, others said it was faulty. Probably best letting a Casio watch repair person take a look at it.
Sent my watch to Casio on the 8th, ParcelForce arrived not long ago - brand new watch received! The invoice doesn't give any indication but I assume my watch was faulty. Just updating in case anyone else receives an EL watch that's acting up.

Great work Casio

Edit: Actually, as I was throwing the parcel out, I found a Delivery Note (folded up to act as an Addressee label and cellophaned to the front of the box), which says "Replacement Model For Submitted Repair". So the original watch must have been a dud, after all.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 20th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants