Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Cat brought mouse into the bedroom - advice please!

Posted 8th Apr
For the first time ever the cat brought a mouse into the bedroom.

The mouse is currently under the bed, which is too heavy to move & a divan with drawers so I can’t see properly under it.

The cat is bored and now sleeping; she’s no help!

Any ideas of how to cajole a mouse out and remove it?

This is a new situation for me and one I never wish to repeat.

inb4 ‘cats are rubbish’ ‘get rid of the cat’ ‘don’t murder it’ (I’m hoping to safely capture the mouse and let it free) ‘cats are the devil’ ‘cats are murderers’ etc. And yes, she has a bell on.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
We use a Wellington boot to catch mice. Just lay it along the wall with the top open and chase the mouse into it. Mice tend to run along walls, so chase it out from under the bed with a broom handle and it should run along the wall and into the boot. Then just pick the boot up by the top and shake the mouse out of the boot outside. For us this never fails, and it doesn't harm the mouse.
sheilajay08/04/2020 09:03

Your lovely little cat was bringing you a present.

40344503-oI8R1.jpg
She looks so....innocent....
furbars08/04/2020 09:20

Through many years of experience just leave it, the cat will deal with it …Through many years of experience just leave it, the cat will deal with it eventually.

It’s the ‘eventually’ bit that worries me, as she’s lazy and it’s more likely to die of old age than my lump of a cat going after it.

40344634-mkmTb.jpg
Cat is thinking you are a sad Hoooman and cannot feed yourself. She's looking after you.

My cat did this to me, only I woke up in bed, to find cat sat on my chest with big fat mouse in her mouth.... and she dropped it!
44 Comments
Your going to have to take the bed to bits unfortunately, I would build a walled path with anything to get it to only go one direction and walk behind with a sheet of wood or cardboard
Edited by: "nopartylikeansclubparty" 8th Apr
The mouse is very likely frozen with fear at the moment, so now is your chance to catch it alive. If you don’t catch it now, it’s very unlikely you will catch it alive. Your cat will probably get it if you don’t, so act fast
Use a broom handle, put it under the bed at one end and pull it down the length of the bed, use a bag to pick it up, seal the bag, and dispose in outside bin, or bury it. Disinfect the broom handle after though.
Beebee1808/04/2020 08:45

Use a broom handle, put it under the bed at one end and pull it down the …Use a broom handle, put it under the bed at one end and pull it down the length of the bed, use a bag to pick it up, seal the bag, and dispose in outside bin, or bury it. Disinfect the broom handle after though.

The mouse is alive so this won’t work
Beebee1808/04/2020 08:45

Use a broom handle, put it under the bed at one end and pull it down the …Use a broom handle, put it under the bed at one end and pull it down the length of the bed, use a bag to pick it up, seal the bag, and dispose in outside bin, or bury it. Disinfect the broom handle after though.

I think it's still alive....
If you know for certain that the mouse is still under there, the only option is to get some towels and block all around the bed. Leave just the back open near the wall, then put a box flush against the wall with some dry food in (or Nutella). Then start knocking around the edges of the bed, leaving the mouse to escape via the only exit.
You can use a large glass tumbler to catch it with. Gently coax them out from under the bed with a stick or something. They usually run along the edges of a room so if you can get them in a corner so much the better. As mentioned they often freeze in fear when exposed so pop the glass over them and slip a bit of stiff card underneath the glass once they are in there... have done that quite a few times. You can then safely take them outdoors and let them run off.
It’s alive...I can’t fit a broom under the drawers of the bed.

I do have some biscuit & peanut butter on a plate & hope it gets hungry.

I am not amused, and the cat couldn’t care less
JohnnyRoller08/04/2020 08:51

If you know for certain that the mouse is still under there, the only …If you know for certain that the mouse is still under there, the only option is to get some towels and block all around the bed. Leave just the back open near the wall, then put a box flush against the wall with some dry food in (or Nutella). Then start knocking around the edges of the bed, leaving the mouse to escape via the only exit.

This is a good plan....let’s see....
sheilajay08/04/2020 09:03

40344503-oI8R1.jpg
She looks so....innocent....
Through many years of experience just leave it, the cat will deal with it eventually.
furbars08/04/2020 09:20

Through many years of experience just leave it, the cat will deal with it …Through many years of experience just leave it, the cat will deal with it eventually.

It’s the ‘eventually’ bit that worries me, as she’s lazy and it’s more likely to die of old age than my lump of a cat going after it.

40344634-mkmTb.jpg
My cat brings in rats - just to play with. If you have a long set of barbecue tongues you could try grab it with them.
Hope you get it sorted op. My westie brought a pigeon in the house once. Thankfully it was ok, but that was stressful
Like other have said, I'd lay down food to lure it out. If it's anything like my hamster, put carrots or veggies down. Once they come out of shock it's instinct will kick in.
google.co.uk/amp…tml

This story from a couple years back spring to mind... not quite a car but I’m quite sure you don’t want your bed chewed to bits so hopefully it comes out sooner rather than later good luck!
We use a Wellington boot to catch mice. Just lay it along the wall with the top open and chase the mouse into it. Mice tend to run along walls, so chase it out from under the bed with a broom handle and it should run along the wall and into the boot. Then just pick the boot up by the top and shake the mouse out of the boot outside. For us this never fails, and it doesn't harm the mouse.
I'll need to remember to check my wellies before putting my foot in
median08/04/2020 09:39

We use a Wellington boot to catch mice. Just lay it along the wall with …We use a Wellington boot to catch mice. Just lay it along the wall with the top open and chase the mouse into it. Mice tend to run along walls, so chase it out from under the bed with a broom handle and it should run along the wall and into the boot. Then just pick the boot up by the top and shake the mouse out of the boot outside. For us this never fails, and it doesn't harm the mouse.

Oooh I like this idea.

No success yet.

No idea where it is hiding....I sense it’s under the bed plotting an escape. Hopefully not weeing and pooing everywhere

I’ll put the welly near the peanut butter. Spread my bets
Many many moons ago a neighbour had a pet mouse which escaped from its cage.

My brother and I made a trap out of lego and used sunflower seeds to lure it in,worked a treat and was unharmed.

So. If you've got Lego lying about you could always try that,will keep you occupied as well for a while if you're bored
My friend's cat brought a mouse in the other day and let it escape under the kitchen units.
He made this trap to try and catch it....

40345078-C4tMl.jpg
Fortunately our cat appears to be a rubbish hunter, as he's never brought us any "gifts"
mouse or baby rat?
the mouse is probably dying as we speak,the cat will have pounced on it quite a few times as before bringing it to you,have not got a garden cane you can get that under the bed and sweep it out?
Edited by: "jamstaruk1972" 8th Apr
enjoy breakfast in bed
Cat is thinking you are a sad Hoooman and cannot feed yourself. She's looking after you.

My cat did this to me, only I woke up in bed, to find cat sat on my chest with big fat mouse in her mouth.... and she dropped it!
Well, from experience, 5 words: peanut butter and mouse trap
Mice luuuuuuve penut butter
I've used these screwfix mouse traps Mouse Trap
And it worked flawlessly
Bad cat, very very bad cat
Edited by: "Rugrats" 8th Apr
deleted622739
sicklysweet08/04/2020 09:00

It’s alive...I can’t fit a broom under the drawers of the bed.I do have som …It’s alive...I can’t fit a broom under the drawers of the bed.I do have some biscuit & peanut butter on a plate & hope it gets hungry.I am not amused, and the cat couldn’t care less

deleted622739
cideristhefuture08/04/2020 11:32

Cat is thinking you are a sad Hoooman and cannot feed yourself. She's …Cat is thinking you are a sad Hoooman and cannot feed yourself. She's looking after you. My cat did this to me, only I woke up in bed, to find cat sat on my chest with big fat mouse in her mouth.... and she dropped it!

Lol she looks like our cat, don't worry she will seem to lose interest, but she knows where it is and she will deal with it don't forget she will hear the slightest noise and will deal with it
No updates, apart from the fact that my room now smells like peanut butter and my cat is still asleep on the aforementioned bed & caring 0/10 about this.
Gorskar08/04/2020 10:11

My friend's cat brought a mouse in the other day and let it escape under …My friend's cat brought a mouse in the other day and let it escape under the kitchen units.He made this trap to try and catch it....[Image] Fortunately our cat appears to be a rubbish hunter, as he's never brought us any "gifts"

median08/04/2020 09:39

We use a Wellington boot to catch mice. Just lay it along the wall with …We use a Wellington boot to catch mice. Just lay it along the wall with the top open and chase the mouse into it. Mice tend to run along walls, so chase it out from under the bed with a broom handle and it should run along the wall and into the boot. Then just pick the boot up by the top and shake the mouse out of the boot outside. For us this never fails, and it doesn't harm the mouse.

Wow and wow! You two are on form with these ideas.
suejb208/04/2020 14:14

Wow and wow! You two are on form with these ideas.

I know! And Sc4mp0 too, although the only Lego I have in the house is a batmobile for my nephews
Sc4mp008/04/2020 09:56

Many many moons ago a neighbour had a pet mouse which escaped from its …Many many moons ago a neighbour had a pet mouse which escaped from its cage.My brother and I made a trap out of lego and used sunflower seeds to lure it in,worked a treat and was unharmed. So. If you've got Lego lying about you could always try that,will keep you occupied as well for a while if you're bored

deleted622739
sicklysweet08/04/2020 14:10

No updates, apart from the fact that my room now smells like peanut butter …No updates, apart from the fact that my room now smells like peanut butter and my cat is still asleep on the aforementioned bed & caring 0/10 about this.

I'm Loving this story sweets Reminds me of my little darling who we lost just recently, she was Always bringing in baby mice for her and my other cat to play with. The mice used to run and hide behind my fire grid and there was no way for me or the cats to get them out so I'd go to bed and leave them all to it. I'd wake up to black sooty paw prints all over my beige carpet! Somehow the mice escaped or one of the cats took them back outside coz I Never saw any evidence of a mouse being there at all.

The Culprit

40348056-5CEku.jpg40348056-nttF2.jpg
deleted62273908/04/2020 14:30

I'm Loving this story sweets Reminds me of my little …I'm Loving this story sweets Reminds me of my little darling who we lost just recently, she was Always bringing in baby mice for her and my other cat to play with. The mice used to run and hide behind my fire grid and there was no way for me or the cats to get them out so I'd go to bed and leave them all to it. I'd wake up to black sooty paw prints all over my beige carpet! Somehow the mice escaped or one of the cats took them back outside coz I Never saw any evidence of a mouse being there at all. The Culprit[Image] [Image]

Aww, sorry to hear about your cat, they are such a big part of your life. She even looks quite similar.

Cat has never brought anything upstairs before, and at first I thought she was chasing a fly but then I saw the mouse and....well....we are still no further along but it made me realise I needed to clean behind my bedside tables so I’ve taken them out and made a lot of noise hoping it would run out & be catchable. Alas, no.

So the mouse is still around, my room has had a spring clean, and the cat is downstairs oblivious to the plight.

Mum said to now leave my room alone as it will be scared and won’t be hungry when scared, so I should close the door and leave it with the peanut butter to lure it out.

Mum is usually right

The mouse was lively when I last saw it and the cat usually gets bored quick enough that they end up getting rescued & left under a hedge somewhere to recover.
Morning, any mouse updates?
suejb209/04/2020 11:19

Morning, any mouse updates?

It’s alive! And still in my room

It scared the dog last night!

More peanut butter is being deployed.
sicklysweet09/04/2020 13:58

It’s alive! More peanut butter is being deployed.

Just call Rentokil and be done with it.
Edited by: "waterloo" 11th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions