Groups

Cat collars,a word of warning

Just a warning,my cat is microchipped now after we took her in and i did put a flea collar on her but she hated it so got her chipped instead.

My neighbour has been out calling her cat since lastnight and didnt know where he had got to,sadly he had hung himself by his collar in a tree,the branch had got caught up inside his collar and lord knows how long he had been like that i just hope he didnt suffer for long.

Thought I would spread the word as i personally didnt know just how dangerous a simple collar could be

29 Comments

OH NO! That's terrible, poor little mite. Really hope he didn't suffer too long

Poor little mite, why do people put collars on their cats ? I have never understood this ... very sad.

Banned

oh thats such a shame

[SIZE=1]*chuckles silently*[/SIZE]

We got a collar for one of our cats, she went out 1 night and didnt come back for 2 days, when she did she was filthy and black and her paw was up by here neck, through the collar as though she had been trying to free herself we guess.

Never used a collar since

Sorry to hear the bad news though

Banned

snowtiger;3153473

Poor little mite, why do people put collars on their cats ? I have never … Poor little mite, why do people put collars on their cats ? I have never understood this ... very sad.

You buy one with a bell and it helps to stop it killing birds and mice, if you're that way inclined. I imagine like a dogs collar it should be on tight enough so it doesn't get caught up on anything but not so tight as to kill the animal.

yeah u can get collars which will break if too much pressure is put on em, bit of a pain if ur cat always gets it caught on sumfin and it rips but i think ppl would much rather have that then a hanging cat, we havent got collars on ours anymore or microchip, had collars on em when they were younger tho.

Did the owner of the cat not think that after finding it a few days ago, unconcious, with a bottle of vodka and sleeping pills that the cat may have suicidal tendancies?

On a more sincere note, and as much as I think cat's are stupid (this thread doesn't do much to help this train of thought) that sucks, let's hope it was an accident.

ODB_69;3153478

oh thats such a shame[SIZE=1]*chuckles silently*[/SIZE]

MunkiMadz;3153501

Did the owner of the cat not think that after finding it a few days ago, … Did the owner of the cat not think that after finding it a few days ago, unconcious, with a bottle of vodka and sleeping pills that the cat may have suicidal tendancies?On a more sincere note, and as much as I think cat's are stupid (this thread doesn't do much to help this train of thought) that sucks, let's hope it was an accident.

i lold at both

Banned

starsparkle2311;3153510

Nope, cats are clever they learn how to sneak up without the bell moving! … Nope, cats are clever they learn how to sneak up without the bell moving! Either that or they manage to wrestle houdini style out of the collar.

My cat used to jump onto a 5 ft fence, then jump on top of the conservatory then jump in through the window to snuggle up at night, then when morning came out she went again through the same window

we had one of the collers that activated a magnetic cat flap. Hadn't seen my older cat in a few days and when we found him the magnet ball had embeded itself in his neck!!

The vet examined the coller and advised us to send it to the manufacturers who advised it was faulty and offered to replace it. After paying a fortune at the vet for my poor (and now scarred cat!) I told 'em to stuff it and dissasembled the cat flap so it works without the magnet now.

On another note we got the younger cat chiped as he has wandering tendances but didn't bother with the older one as he hardly leaves the garden now

that i so sad - i am so sorry
    But you did give that cat a good home for over 3 months and it knew that you cared:)
    sorry - my mistake - didnt read properly was just devastated by the end bit, still I think your a lovely person for keeping the stray:thumbsup:

Both of ours are micro-chipped, neither wear collars for this exact reason.

Far too many bushes / trees close by.

Poor little thing ...

Banned

jennybubbles;3153567

we had one of the collers that activated a magnetic cat flap. Hadn't seen … we had one of the collers that activated a magnetic cat flap. Hadn't seen my older cat in a few days and when we found him the magnet ball had embeded itself in his neck!!The vet examined the coller and advised us to send it to the manufacturers who advised it was faulty and offered to replace it. After paying a fortune at the vet for my poor (and now scarred cat!) I told 'em to stuff it and dissasembled the cat flap so it works without the magnet now.

surely they would be liable for the costs? thinking if you bought something for yourself...dunno...a belt for example...and a fault caused an injury or scarring surely they could be sued?! Would this not appl with animals as well as YOU have been left out of pocket cause of THEIR mistake?!

Original Poster

octobergirl;3153587

that i so sad - i am so sorryBut you did give that cat a good home for … that i so sad - i am so sorryBut you did give that cat a good home for over 3 months and it knew that you cared:)

wasnt my cat luckily,the stray who decided to live here hardly goes out,think she is outdoor phobic now and scared she wont get her foot in the door again lol

ODB_69;3153599

surely they would be liable for the costs? thinking if you bought … surely they would be liable for the costs? thinking if you bought something for yourself...dunno...a belt for example...and a fault caused an injury or scarring surely they could be sued?! Would this not appl with animals as well as YOU have been left out of pocket cause of THEIR mistake?!

Your probably right OBD but I could handle the hassle at the time (pants excuse I know) He doesn't bother. Think he tells the lady cats it just one of his battle scars :lol:

ODB_69;3153478

oh thats such a shame[SIZE=1]*chuckles silently*[/SIZE]

oh you gone down in my estimation:p

my cat has a collar with the strip of elastic attatched for safety.

he has come home minus his collar a couple of times, would much prefer that than someting bad happen!

Poor cat

Poor little mite :cry:

My parents have a cat he doesn't have a collar for this very reason

i wish i hadnt of read this now :-( .. how v sad, ive heard about things like this. Kinda why i never had a collar on my cat, and same for why my dog doesnt wear one...tho she is always near me, dont like the idea of her getting herself caught etc.

your poor neighbour.

http://www.ogno.at/manimg/fotos/cat/cat_hanging_thounge.jpg

Banned

MunkiMadz;3153928

thats disgusting you should be ashamed:x

[SIZE=1]LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :thumbsup:[/SIZE]

so mean

boys.. lol

Banned

MissRoo;3153863

i wish i hadnt of read this now :-( .. how v sad, ive heard about things … i wish i hadnt of read this now :-( .. how v sad, ive heard about things like this. Kinda why i never had a collar on my cat, and same for why my dog doesnt wear one...tho she is always near me, dont like the idea of her getting herself caught etc. your poor neighbour.

How do you attach your name and address? spray paint!!? :lol: :w00t: :whistling:

"The Control of Dogs Order (1992)
    The Control of Dogs Order 1992 says that all dogs must wear a collar and an identity tag in a public place. The identity tag must show the name and address of the owner. You can be fined up to £5,000 for this offence. Your dog must still wear an identity tag even if it is micochipped."

]http//ww…uk/

do really good cheap safety collars that snap off when too much pressure is put on them. we use them for both of our cats & they are really good.

worto.

lumoruk;3153964

How do you attach your name and address? spray paint!!? :lol: :w00t: … How do you attach your name and address? spray paint!!? :lol: :w00t: :whistling:"The Control of Dogs Order (1992)The Control of Dogs Order 1992 says that all dogs must wear a collar and an identity tag in a public place. The identity tag must show the name and address of the owner. You can be fined up to £5,000 for this offence. Your dog must still wear an identity tag even if it is micochipped."

first of all ..calm down lol
    she is chipped, and is kept on a harness when out (with details).. its like a prison my garden she cant get out, so wouldnt be found wandering. I can asure you...Happy?

jellybaby22;3153946

OMG..that is sooo not funny...ODB Im so disappointed in u.....:xu r gonna … OMG..that is sooo not funny...ODB Im so disappointed in u.....:xu r gonna get that smack I promised u ;-)

totally agree with you-but he would enjoy it:w00t:

Just Last weekend I went out to my back garden after hearing cries and there was a cat caught by the collar on my kids football net. It was trying to free itself but the net was wrapped twice around its neck. Fortunately I have a fireman that lives next door as in every attempt I tried to free it I nearly got my arm ripped off in its dire frustration. He had a pair of gloves that went right up to his elbows and was able to hold it while I cut the net. Lucky escape. It's not a nice sight to see at all.

I wonder what sort of collar it was? 2 of mine have breakaway collars and one has none because as soon as you put one on him he pulls it off. Was it a solid one with a buckle?

Original Poster

Shengis;3155971

I wonder what sort of collar it was? 2 of mine have breakaway collars and … I wonder what sort of collar it was? 2 of mine have breakaway collars and one has none because as soon as you put one on him he pulls it off. Was it a solid one with a buckle?

yes one of the leather looking ones with crystals on it
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2235
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917265

See more discussions