Groups

Cat Help please! Fur Ball

Ok, so he runs away when we try and brush him, but we do our best ( like, 2 or 3 quick brush strokes) , and he's recently left some furballs outside for me to tread in as I stepped out of the car ( nice!), but the other day he was retching like he was going to spit out a fur ball, but didn't. This went on for over a day. I didn't bother, thought ' ohh, it'll come out, one way or t'other', but then he started acting all miserable and subdued, the way he does when he comes off worst in a set-to, which he hasn't for a while. Not a mark on him that I could see anyway. Getting worried, he was still retching, so took him to the vets, as had googled and seen that a furball could get stuck in their intestines. £95 later, his bloods are all fine, the only other thing I could have done was a chest X-ray, but vet said she couldn't feel any obstruction, and recommended the paste from pet shop. No way can I get him to eat it, tried opening his mouth to force him ( no way). Can anyone offer any advise? The only thing I can think of is to take him to the vets to get the vet to put this paste in his mouth? He absolutely hates the carrier, the car, the vets. Howls all the way there, gets really worked up, ends up panting like a dog. So I have to bear that in mind. Does this paste actually do the trick? Ingredients seem to be malt and oil? Btw, it may not be a furball, before now it's been mouses fur, or feathers too that he's spat out.

17 Comments

Can the paste be mixed with food? When mine needs anything like that I'll go get him a posh pack of cat food and really mix it up in the gravy and pop a few treats on top.
    If that won't work can one person not wrap him in a blanket whilst the other puts it in his mouth? I don't imagine a vet would do much else to get it down other than that

Also I expect the malt and oil ingredients work as a laxative. There will probably be lots of different varieties available so if you really can't get him to take it try a different type

Can you not tempt him with dreamies? I think they do a furball one too. Our cat goes mad for dreamies

Original Poster

ungnome

Also I expect the malt and oil ingredients work as a laxative. There will … Also I expect the malt and oil ingredients work as a laxative. There will probably be lots of different varieties available so if you really can't get him to take it try a different type

Thanks, I tried putting some on a cat Pepperami stick, but he just gave me a withering look. Did try last night getting hold of him and putting some paste in his mouth. Finally managed, but he somehow managed to spit it out. I like your suggestion of mixing with some of the posh food, especially if he's not too familiar with how it tastes anyway. Good idea. Laughably, the instructions say to put the paste on the cats paw, so that he'll lick it off. Tried that, but he just shook it off his paw.

Original Poster

homerd

Can you not tempt him with dreamies? I think they do a furball one too. … Can you not tempt him with dreamies? I think they do a furball one too. Our cat goes mad for dreamies

Ye, he does like dreamies. To put some on top of each one? I'll give it a try. Does this stuff actually work tho? The furball paste?

Ha sounds very similar to mine! Try the posh food trick with the treats. I underestimated him before and would just put the tablet etc in the middle but I have to really hide it and it does the trick. I think he is so shocked it is something other than the usual Felix he just eats it without thinking

Original Poster

ungnome

Ha sounds very similar to mine! Try the posh food trick with the treats. … Ha sounds very similar to mine! Try the posh food trick with the treats. I underestimated him before and would just put the tablet etc in the middle but I have to really hide it and it does the trick. I think he is so shocked it is something other than the usual Felix he just eats it without thinking

Yes, good thinking. I'll use something that he isn't that familiar with, so he doesn't spot it, thank you!

Good luck!

Original Poster

ungnome

Good luck!

Thank you, I'm gonna try the dreamies as homerd suggested, just in case too

What brand of paste is it? There's one called Katalax we give to our long haired cat whenever he has a big hairball brewing, he loves the taste and just licks it off my finger, if you get no joy with the dreamies maybe try that.

Also he hates being brushed with a normal cat brush just like yours but we finally found something he doesn't mind being brushed with called a Zoom Groom, you can buy them on ebay.
    Edited by: "spoo" 30th Sep 2016

Your vet should be able to provide you some paste to help. Our littlest does handle furrballs well and this paste is brilliant! Our eldest loves the stuff, unfortunately he's least furrball failure.. typical. Will fish out the name of it. Can't recomend it enough

Katalax works, my mum's cat needs it regularly

juggler1

Thanks, I tried putting some on a cat Pepperami stick, but he just gave … Thanks, I tried putting some on a cat Pepperami stick, but he just gave me a withering look. Did try last night getting hold of him and putting some paste in his mouth. Finally managed, but he somehow managed to spit it out. I like your suggestion of mixing with some of the posh food, especially if he's not too familiar with how it tastes anyway. Good idea. Laughably, the instructions say to put the paste on the cats paw, so that he'll lick it off. Tried that, but he just shook it off his paw.

We've tried the paw trick before,with different pastes,its best to smear it on ,so hopefully it won't flick off. Try smearing it on his chest,just where he can reach to wash.It's not pleasant,but they do instinctively try to wash it off.

Sounds just like our cat Rusty exactly same symptoms vet couldnt see or feel any thing on first visit to vets given paste and anti biotics then went down hill fast 2 days later took her back and we had to rush her down to RSPCA hospital where she had an operation for blockage in intestine ( hairball ) touch and go for 1 week as she wouldnt eat eventually we were allowed to visit her and we took her minced chicken and tuna which we fed her by hand she was so pleased to see us now back home and 3 weeks later put on 1 kilo and back to her playful naughty self thank God ...... so insist she has another examination hope she gets better

Gosh ^ lucky you insisted on a recheck. Hope you had pet insurance. As for op, best of luck with which ever trick you try to get him to eat the paste; hopefully the retching concludes to be nothing too sinister.

Original Poster

Thank you all so much, been so worried about our boy. Somehow he's back to his old self, no retching, eating normally, so I can only presume there's a fur ball left about somewhere outside. Am a bit wary of giving the anti-furball things as a regular addition. Aren't they a mild laxative? That seems to be the theme, and am thinking that a laxative taken continuously won't have much effect in the end? Will try to up the brushing, but, as I said, sometimes it's been mouse fur or feathers. All your answers were much appreciated
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Phone "Upgrade"811
      2. Wireless Earphones for Running67
      3. I want some backless loafers for men55
      4. HELP FORD FOCUS RADIO NOT WORKING23

See more discussions