Cat-S or N vehicle insurance

Posted 13th Apr
Hi.
I am Hoping someone can help me please. Can I use comparison sites to insure a Cat S or N car? If I enter a reg number, will it automatically know that it’s a written off car? Because there is no way to let them know that it’s a Cat-S.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Nope you need to notify them, although some insurance companies do have a tick box if car has been involved in a road traffic accident
Couple of my mates only buy write-offs, either N or S, they aren't bothered and never had issue with insurance.
I just know they put the price of the car lower than what a non cat car would be.
I'm guessing in this day and age all insurance companys will know the cars been in a bump anyways? Plus some damage is silly things like somebody keying a car or putting a window out etc if it's an N
Toon_army13/04/2020 21:08

Couple of my mates only buy write-offs, either N or S, they aren't …Couple of my mates only buy write-offs, either N or S, they aren't bothered and never had issue with insurance.I just know they put the price of the car lower than what a non cat car would be.I'm guessing in this day and age all insurance companys will know the cars been in a bump anyways? Plus some damage is silly things like somebody keying a car or putting a window out etc if it's an N

Have they ever claimed though, an insurance company will use anything to wriggle out of paying if you’re not very straight with them
snoopy1813/04/2020 21:57

Have they ever claimed though, an insurance company will use anything to …Have they ever claimed though, an insurance company will use anything to wriggle out of paying if you’re not very straight with them

One claimed on his Golf some old wife went into the back of him at a traffic light, said she didnt see the red light! Anyways they paid him out and he bought the car back as it just needed bumper and tailgate fixed.
Why would insurers need to know for any other reason than valuation following a total loss?
I had a cat d vehicle, was not required at any point to advise insurance of its cat d status, somebody try to steal it and did a hell of a lot of damage, stripping bits of its and making a general mess, insurance took ages paying out as we're contacting the previous insurer to find out how much the original damage was, eventually paid out a reduced amount due to being a cat d(as I paid less for the car completely understandable), could not find an equivalent vehicle for that price though
That’s why I am asking. It’s cheaper to buy one of these cars but might be pain if I have to make a claim. After reading your experience, I think I’ll stay away:). Thanks everyone for answering
If the insurance company never asks you if the vehicle is categorised, then you don't need to tell them, but if there is a claim they will pay the reduced value.
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 14th Apr
When I claimed on mine, even though they had all this information they asked for both driving licences, mot, insurance and v5, the v5 also would show a car c/d
Edited by: "sidhoooooo" 15th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions