Expired

cat5/usb extension

7 replies
Found 6th Jul 2014
I have a pc sitting on the other side of the room, connected to a monitor on my desk, using extended hdmi cable going round each corner of the room.

Now, I have a few usb devices I want to use with a usb 2.0 hub on my desk, I.e wired keyboard and mouse. I'm temporarily using a 5m usb cable with a hub at the end to power the keyboard/mouse, but it keeps disconnecting and the devices stop working.

I was wondering if I could use an extended cat5 cable with the adapters to power the hub with keyboard and mouse without any signal issues?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

1. Ask
  2. USB
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. USB
7 Comments

look on ebuyer for either a 'active USB extension' or a USB cat5 extender. both would be around the £20 mark

Original Poster

Grrrd

look on ebuyer for either a 'active USB extension' or a USB cat5 … look on ebuyer for either a 'active USB extension' or a USB cat5 extender. both would be around the £20 mark

Cheers! If only I've looked at those before. Will try and see the results. Thanks ")

Original Poster

muzzzzzzzzzy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-METER-USB-2-0-MALE-TO-FEMALE-ACTIVE-REPEATER-BOOSTER-PRINTER-EXTENSION-CABLE-/131233910064?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item1e8e268d30This is just as good

Saw those earlier... How about these?

ebay.co.uk/itm…b00

Never tried those myself but should work, it will use 4 of the 8 ethernet wires to carry the USB signal

Original Poster

muzzzzzzzzzy

Never tried those myself but should work, it will use 4 of the 8 ethernet … Never tried those myself but should work, it will use 4 of the 8 ethernet wires to carry the USB signal

Using a generic usb hub for now, with no power adapter. Which one would work better?

Active USB extension and powered / unpowered hub will work the best, I use the same setup with a powered hub to power 8 usb to serial adapters and 2 usb network adapters.
Edited by: "muzzzzzzzzzy" 7th Jul 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769555
    2. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games33
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming2849
    4. Add one, leave one game54415461

See more discussions