Groups

Catching a fox

My chickens are being plagued by a fox,think its getting in via a large hedge at the back end,up to now its had 18 chooks and 3 ducks,got up today to find it had ripped the door off the chicken house :o(
    Really need to catch the culprit and rather than shooting it would like to buy a humane trap,any ideas where to start looking for a good deal?

or any other ideas of catching the fox?

27 Comments

You can get sprays which mimic scent marking that will keep them away........alternatively it will cost you around £100+ for a humane trap but you then have the problem what to do with it when you catch it as if you relocate the fox you could be leaving it's young to die.

just get an old tyre

[img]t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDcbzSLnPPW5Pkoa_xsf31HeMLbHDie-aK3MDQwQ1ZtlIo2Lk&t=1&usg=__BV5qLexJc25o67sdsC5TkoP7SRI=[/img]

Original Poster

ive tried the repellents and lights and nothing is keeping it away

Mardyass

ive tried the repellents and lights and nothing is keeping it away

Do you have a dog? We had a problem at a old house but when we got a dog it was too afraid to ever enter the garden.

Your local hunt lodge may be able to help but i don't know how humane they would be.

Original Poster

I have 3 dogs lol only i havent had the heart to leave them out overnight as its been frosty here

Mardyass

I have 3 dogs lol only i havent had the heart to leave them out overnight … I have 3 dogs lol only i havent had the heart to leave them out overnight as its been frosty here

Ours always stayed indoors overnight but we found the fox stopped coming. Maybe i was too slow cleaning up the turds. X)

Can't you just stop it getting into the garden? Foxes won't jump over something if they can't see where they will land - try putting up a fence? Worked for us. We replaced a tatty hedge with a fence, then replanted a much better hedge just beyond it.

Original Poster

its coming through a chain link fence,a hedge then poultry netting,guess its one determined fox!

Banned

Have you put human hair around the coop?

Original Poster

never heard of using human hair dlm??

Banned

Mardyass

never heard of using human hair dlm??

They are not supposed to like it

Original Poster

hmmmm worth a try then i guess now which kid would like a hair cut today lolol

Banned

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/bizzle22/shotgun.gif

Banned

Mardyass

hmmmm worth a try then i guess now which kid would like a hair cut today … hmmmm worth a try then i guess now which kid would like a hair cut today lolol

I have my neighbour's sons hair in the bottom of old tights hung up around the coop X)

DLM

lol - it will just blow away

you need to pee all the way round it - then turn around three times and touch your toes

DLM

I have my neighbour's sons hair in the bottom of old tights hung up … I have my neighbour's sons hair in the bottom of old tights hung up around the coop X)

Probably better off just hanging up some smelly socks

Banned

DAMNOME

Probably better off just hanging up some smelly socks

Maybe

Banned

get a stronger chicken house, it will soon move on once it realises no food to be had

DLM

yep human hair get some from the local barber shop and put it into the legs of tights and hang around the fence.many as you can.

sorry DLM didn't read whole thread as you say really.

Get a goose.

g1bbuk

Get a goose.

Determined foxes will take geese as well. I know someone that once had 25 geese reduced to one in a couple of years.
    You have to make access more difficult. Maybe worth time setting up a PIR light system or something that will scare an intruder if it comes close.
    Edited by: "WoolyM" 17th Oct 2010

My daughters pet rabbit went missing last night, my fear is a fox has taken him. We have had a lot of tears this morning, very sad day. Terrible news about your chickens.

solarforce

My daughters pet rabbit went missing last night, my fear is a fox has … My daughters pet rabbit went missing last night, my fear is a fox has taken him. We have had a lot of tears this morning, very sad day. Terrible news about your chickens.

My sisters neighbours got a couple of rabbits BUT had nil sense in how to care for them. They left them out to just run in the garden without any sort of hutch. Fox got one. Not sure if they have still got the other one or whether that has been fox food as well.

solarforce

My daughters pet rabbit went missing last night, my fear is a fox has … My daughters pet rabbit went missing last night, my fear is a fox has taken him. We have had a lot of tears this morning, very sad day. Terrible news about your chickens.

Aaaw bless, your poor Daughter:(.......we have a pet Rabbit and as we have several farms nearby we bring his hutch in of a night ( bit of a pain i know ) but dont want to take the chance as like your daughter,my kids would be devestated, he does have free run of the garden all day though and its the cats i worry about, mind you he seen a cat off the other day, was quite funny
    Hope your Daughter gets over it soon btw x

Original Poster

we have geese and rheas too,it hasnt gone after them......yet!
    it ripped the door off by its hinges,have some extra fencing being delivered tomorrow to try and block off the hedge row
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. win a hamper - orbit homes - kent commuter mag88
      2. Royal dishy plates11
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2323
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick33

See more discussions