CATCUS COMPUTERS 2 (cactus-computers12) and eBay

Found 11th AugEdited by:"NBohrs"
Since eBay removed my feedback I'm adding here to warn other potential users (more below).

I purchased a phone from cactus-computers12 (ebay seller) who listed the phone as brand new, never used.

When I received the phone the box was unsealed (I was only interested in buying a brand new phone). On asking the seller why this was the case they responded that it was turned on to check the phone was working (i.e. obviously they knew it was not brand new unused). History on the phone indicated that the phone was used several times (but did not indicate how long or what it was used for).

The seller accepted the refund, but then said they did not trust me and told me I had to send the phone to them within 2 days or they'll cancel the refund process. As the seller did not provide me with a parcel label I obviously could not comply (despite several requests for them to send it to me).

The seller stopped responding and did not send a label until forced by eBay.

When the seller had received the fund back they sent an eCheck in order to complete the refund. This did not go through, eBay did not provide exact details but indicated that the seller didn't have enough funds at the time of settlement (which sounds like cheque fraud to me).

Edit: I provided feedback to the seller, which said that a postage label was not provided. This was provided by the seller. As such eBay removing my feedback was fair. My previous comment here was biased, as such has been edited.

This refund process has taken a lot of emails and still isn't complete. I would not recommend using eBay even if the items are at a vast discount, it's just too difficult and obviously recommend avoiding the seller CATCUS COMPUTERS 2 (cactus-computers12).

This was my second attempt at getting a phone (first one was worse, with the seller never intending on sending a phone), which my refund process still hasn't been fully resolved (after over a month).

I hope this helps others.

Edit: To be fair I should add that eBay's guarantee process did ensure that I have received the amount I paid back in full (albeit slowly, but not at eBay's fault). It appears that it might have completed (it is difficult to get clear answers out of eBay), but in any case the outstanding amount is only in relation to a promotion, not the cash amount (I was previously told this would be sent in cash).

My unhappiness in eBay relates to:
1) Difficulty in dealing with their staff (receiving different answers from different eBay staff members).
2) Having to chase them up so much.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
4 comments in 2 years on here and a seller has 99.7 feedback, not quite sure who to believe here.
28 Comments
4 comments in 2 years on here and a seller has 99.7 feedback, not quite sure who to believe here.
You bought a phone in an unsealed open box. That's what the listing shows. Perhaps you should stick to buying phones in shops.
eslick, fair comment.
ceres:

The listing said "Condition: New, A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted or plastic bag."

At no time was this contested (i.e.both the seller and eBay agreed that the listing was not accurate). Is this information still public? I can't seem to see it anymore (apart from my screenshot).

In any case the seller (from my point of view) was being purposely difficult with the refund process and for a period left me without both the phone and money.
That's the generic eBay text that's generated when a seller selects the condition as New from the drop-down list. Do you dispute that the photo clearly shows an open box?
I often see items listed as brand new & unused, and then the photos show it out of the box.
Sellers usually claim it's to test it works and to take a photo.
ceres:

I'm not sure why you're making this the main issue. As stated neither the seller or eBay said there were any problems with the reason why I wanted a refund.

Yes having to go do a return is bothersome and annoying, but the main point is that the refund process was a lot more difficult than it needed to be and had it not been for eBay's intervention I may have been either:

1) stuck with a phone I did not want (due to the inaccurate listing) and the seller not providing return postage (despite agreeing to the refund).
2) in a position without a phone and the funds which I used to purchase the phone.
If you have communicated with this seller in the same manner as your opening post on this thread, I completely understand why you got the reaction you did. Root of the problem is that you didn't read the listing properly. Your post is full of assumptions and appears to's and there are big chunks of the story missing. Would I trust you - no. Would I refund you until I had the phone back and thoroughly checked - no. Would I sit back while you left abusive feedback when the initial problem was of your own making - no. There are a few bad sellers on eBay but there are as many bad buyers.
What feedback did you leave?
How can you expect a box to be magically sealed when the photo shows otherwise.

Ebay WILL remove feedback if it can be proven false,untrue etc. The seller has asked for it to be removed. I would like to see what you left to judge). Also If you leave one star for dispatch time when the seller can prove it was sent immediately, that is frowned upon and I have had those removed to. If you really want to leave a neg you must be factual and fair with the star ratings.
"When the seller had received the fund back they sent an eCheck in order to complete the refund. This did not go through, eBay did not provide exact details but indicated that the seller didn't have enough funds at the time of settlement (which sounds like cheque fraud to me)."

The seller issued your refund when they had no funds in paypal. Paypal automatically sends an echeque which is then funded by the sellers card/bank, it takes several days to clear unlike a refund when there are funds in the account. It is not "cheque fraud" it is the normal workings of paypal.
I sometimes send refunds straight after emptying my paypal account when I get unreasonable/difficult/scam buyers.

" (I was previously told this would be sent in cash)." Which monkey told you that?
splatsplatsplat

Thanks for the extra information.

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same thing, but eBay told me there was sufficient funds at the time of initiation of the refund. At the time of settlement (which was several days later), it did not clear.

I was not given an exact reason to the reason why it did not clear, but said the likely reason there was no longer sufficient funds for settlement.

Several eBay employees told me it was going to be given back in cash. Even one on the phone who put me on hold to check with a different department and then confirmed it was. It was only Paypal who told me coupons were involved.
ceres:

Forgetting this situation. What I believe is that once a refund is accepted by the seller (no matter how bad the buyer is) the seller should go through with the refund process. This being:

1) Sending a parcel label.
2) Completing the refund process.

The buyer should not have to rely on eBay providing these services.

If the seller does not want to do 1/2, then I believe they should not accept the refund/dispute the refund.
copperspock/splatsplatsplat

Sorry I don't have a copy of the feedback left and actually kind of forgot what it said.

But it was along the lines of:
Seller lied on listing, not new phone, seller accepted a refund, seller won't send parcel label. Don't trust seller.

This was after: 1-2 weeks of not receiving a parcel label and also being told by the seller that if I did not get the phone back to them in 2 days (i.e. of the initial refund request) that the refund would be cancelled (I really didn't want the phone so was eager to get rid of it).

So yes on the reflection, the feedback was untrue as I did receive the parcel label and was able to return the phone. I'll edit my original post to reflect as such. My apologies.
splatsplatsplat

For me a brand new product is homogeneous, photos in this context (for a mass product) aren't very useful. I wouldn't have any expectations for a shop of a brand new phone to have to take a photo of each phone, a standard photo would be fine in my opinion.

Non-brand new/unique items, different story.
EBay has worse and more random censorship than on here and 100% protects the feedback of their larger sellers like Music Magpie and the Kitbag family.

You’ll see a batch of negative feedback on Music Magpie one day to see them all vanished the next.

Ive has multiple items cancelled or delivered incorrectly from kitbag/fanatics and eBay won’t allow negative feedback because refunds etc are issued

thats not what feedback should be about.

i got a refund but I wanted an item. You should be able to buy with confidence and their system is flawed
splatsplatsplat8 h, 55 m ago

How can you expect a box to be magically sealed when the photo shows …How can you expect a box to be magically sealed when the photo shows otherwise. Ebay WILL remove feedback if it can be proven false,untrue etc. The seller has asked for it to be removed. I would like to see what you left to judge). Also If you leave one star for dispatch time when the seller can prove it was sent immediately, that is frowned upon and I have had those removed to. If you really want to leave a neg you must be factual and fair with the star ratings.

To be fair if I’m buying on eBay and it says brand new sealed and there is a pic of what’s in the box - I’d assume that’s just for illustration- when I buy from apple direct they show me what’s in the box I don’t expect to get that one.

if it’s new it should be new

they should have selected used.
How are people seeing the listing?

joanddan753 m ago

To be fair if I’m buying on eBay and it says brand new sealed and there is …To be fair if I’m buying on eBay and it says brand new sealed and there is a pic of what’s in the box - I’d assume that’s just for illustration- when I buy from apple direct they show me what’s in the box I don’t expect to get that one.if it’s new it should be newthey should have selected used.

If they are selling multiples then you would be right but if it’s just 1 I would take the pictures as the actual item.
MR11231 m ago

How are people seeing the listing?If they are selling multiples then you …How are people seeing the listing?If they are selling multiples then you would be right but if it’s just 1 I would take the pictures as the actual item.

Agreed - although people do still use stock pics/wrong pics

what you see isn’t always what you get on eBay
joanddan72 h, 43 m ago

To be fair if I’m buying on eBay and it says brand new sealed and there is …To be fair if I’m buying on eBay and it says brand new sealed and there is a pic of what’s in the box - I’d assume that’s just for illustration- when I buy from apple direct they show me what’s in the box I don’t expect to get that one.if it’s new it should be newthey should have selected used.

As mentioned before by someone else. It doesn't state new and sealed, just new it's ebays standard option for all sellers. The other options are used, refurb etc.

If it was a stock photo from the manufacturer then you could assume the item would be new and sealed. An actual photo of a phone and the open box, I would assume that was the item I was buying UNLESS the seller was selling 100's.
splatsplatsplat6 m ago

As mentioned before by someone else. It doesn't state new and sealed, just …As mentioned before by someone else. It doesn't state new and sealed, just new it's ebays standard option for all sellers. The other options are used, refurb etc. If it was a stock photo from the manufacturer then you could assume the item would be new and sealed. An actual photo of a phone and the open box, I would assume that was the item I was buying UNLESS the seller was selling 100's.

But new should be new not used. The phone was used.

I dont understand.

The photo was an open box and it said new.

so it’s ok to assume the box won’t be sealed but it will be new.

It was used...

the standard options cover all the bases.

Unsealed and used - used

Unsealed and New - new...

or am I missing something?
The sellers description says "New in the box".

The ebay item specifics bit that the buyer here must be annoyed with states a "A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable). If the item comes direct from a manufacturer, it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as a plain or unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details"

This is not written by the seller, it is automatically put on any listing by ebay when a seller clicks that the item is new. That paragraph is generic and will be put on anything [is this car - "unopened"??]

Look at this listing (IT IS NOT THE SELLER IN OP's CASE) but it shows the exact same thing. A photo of a phone on top of a box, the condition "new" yet ebays own generic description says its unopened. Hardly helpful to either party but you would assume some common sense surely.

Personally I would go by the Photo, the sellers Title, and their description, and if I wasn't sure after all that, a quick msg. Wouldn't you for £640?
NBohrs3 h, 56 m ago

ceres:Forgetting this situation. What I believe is that once a refund is …ceres:Forgetting this situation. What I believe is that once a refund is accepted by the seller (no matter how bad the buyer is) the seller should go through with the refund process. This being:1) Sending a parcel label.2) Completing the refund process.The buyer should not have to rely on eBay providing these services.If the seller does not want to do 1/2, then I believe they should not accept the refund/dispute the refund.

You've got less than 10 feedback on eBay and 2 failed phone purchases so you haven't really worked out how it works. With a buyer like you, I'd probably string the process out as long as possible too. You can rail against it all you want. Long and short - if you don't like how eBay works, shop elsewhere.
There is certainly something prickly going on here. Not sure which of the ‘pear’ it is.
splatsplatsplat12th Aug

As mentioned before by someone else. It doesn't state new and sealed, just …As mentioned before by someone else. It doesn't state new and sealed, just new it's ebays standard option for all sellers. The other options are used, refurb etc. If it was a stock photo from the manufacturer then you could assume the item would be new and sealed. An actual photo of a phone and the open box, I would assume that was the item I was buying UNLESS the seller was selling 100's.

tbf there is a 'new other' option as well which inludes the generic text "The item may be missing its original packaging, or the original packaging has been opened or is no longer sealed"
seems like this was a better description
joanddan7 - Thanks for your anecdotes. Nice to know I'm not alone in my thinking.

splatsplatsplat - I don't think it's fair for the buyer to have to determine a profile for a seller (how many phones they sell etc..), but regardless the argument goes both ways. A higher priced item should also encourage the seller to take more care, nay? I think experience wise a seller with a shop is likely to understand the eBay system better than the average buyer.

brilly - thanks for clarifying that.

ceres - If there's anything you would like me to correct or give more context happy to do so. While the story is obviously from my perspective, I still don't want it to seem untruthful.

I'm a little confused as well you talk like you are the seller most of the time (with uncanny information), but sometimes word your sentences like you aren't.

But yes you are right, having 2 failed phone purchases is not fun for me and does not give a pleasant eBay experience. It does seems that the eBay experience is buyers against sellers rather than customers and sellers, which is a shame for buyers, sellers and eBay.
ceres:

And I guess at the end of the day if you wish to "string out the process as long as possible" as you did. Then I guess that's your decision. But I don't think that's right by the system or the buyer.

Again I realise its my opinion. But I don't think its right if someone agrees to a refund that the buyer then have to rely on eBay to complete this. While annoyed, I do hope this is an isolated experience for all eBayers and especially your customers.
Edited by: "NBohrs" 15th Aug
NBohrs11 h, 51 m ago

ceres:And I guess at the end of the day if you wish to "string out the …ceres:And I guess at the end of the day if you wish to "string out the process as long as possible" as you did. Then I guess that's your decision. But I don't think that's right by the system or the buyer.Again I realise its my opinion. But I don't think its right if someone agrees to a refund that the buyer then have to rely on eBay to complete this. While annoyed, I do hope this is an isolated experience for all eBayers and especially your customers.

You seem to have me confused with your seller. All of the information about you and your transaction that I've referred to is there on eBay for anyone to see. I sell stuff on eBay, my own tat that I don't need any more. I have around 1300 100% feedback and 5 star ratings. I also buy stuff on eBay. I always treat buyers and sellers with politeness and respect unless they behave like complete morons and in all the transactions I've done, maybe in the region of 4000 I've had less than a handful of problems. If you had approached me in the manner of your OP, with accusations of lies, fraud, misrepresentation - yes, I would have made the refund process as drawn out and uncomfortable as I could.

Before you purchased the phone, you were aware that while the seller has a shop, it doesn't sell phones - right? The phone you bought was the only one he has ever sold - right? If I were a betting person, I'd wager that it was an unwanted upgrade that he opened and switched on - wouldn't you agree? So the photo on the listing isn't a stock picture because he has no stock - right? It's the photo of the actual phone you're going to get - right? Having had one failed transaction, you checked this all out before you purchased - right? You messaged the seller and asked him about the phone which cost nearly £700 - right?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions