catloc for Toyota Hybrid cars to protect Catalytic Converter

Posted 10th JanEdited by:"pavanto"
Recently catalytic converter of my Prius was stolen. I have repaired the vehicle since then but I am worried that it might get stolen again. I was reading on some forums that Toyota is fixing catlocs which makes the theft a little harder could be a deterrent. It costs around £200-£250 to install.

Anyone has experience with it? Is it worth to have it installed? And is there anything else I can do? It just gives me sleepless nights and I can't afford to change the car at the moment. Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
If you or your local garage has welder you can pay for something like this to be done.

39640477-AsZHf.jpg
My cat was stolen twice but since the rebar cage it's remained safe.
Edited by: "mogsog" 10th Jan
mogsog10/01/2020 12:12

If you or your local garage has welder you can pay for something like this …If you or your local garage has welder you can pay for something like this to be done.[Image] My cat was stolen twice but since the rebar cage it's remained safe.

In case if you need to change it in the future, wouldn't it be a problem to take it out? I mean a dealer may not agree to repair exhaust unless you go back to a welder and get it removed yourself. Also does it affect your insurance? It could be considered as modified vehicle?
pavanto10/01/2020 12:37

In case if you need to change it in the future, wouldn't it be a problem …In case if you need to change it in the future, wouldn't it be a problem to take it out? I mean a dealer may not agree to repair exhaust unless you go back to a welder and get it removed yourself. Also does it affect your insurance? It could be considered as modified vehicle?

I use an angle grinder to remove it and then reweld the same basket I made back on. CCTV showed they went under to try and steal then gave up. It's the time and the noise it would make that puts them off.

I am sorry, not sure about the answer to the other questions as my vehicle I own outright. Perhaps a cat loc owner can give you their experience.
I used to get the Catloc fitting to our fleet vans as they used to get stolen a fair bit most manufacturers do them as it’s a common problem so worth considering if that’s happening to your vehicle.
I can’t comment on whether it’s a modification but if you fit a manufacturers approved item I would assume it would be positive in the eyes of an insurance company, but I’m no expert there so worth phoning them first.
indywooda10/01/2020 12:51

I used to get the Catloc fitting to our fleet vans as they used to get …I used to get the Catloc fitting to our fleet vans as they used to get stolen a fair bit most manufacturers do them as it’s a common problem so worth considering if that’s happening to your vehicle. I can’t comment on whether it’s a modification but if you fit a manufacturers approved item I would assume it would be positive in the eyes of an insurance company, but I’m no expert there so worth phoning them first.

It appears toyota have their own, let's hope this isn't the only one they will approve as it's £250. Warranty is a huge issue if people don't own the vehicle.

blog.toyota.co.uk/cat…car

I would absolutely ask the dealer about 3rd party catloc approval lists. I would also see what physical modifications are required.
mogsog10/01/2020 12:53

It appears toyota have their own, let's hope this isn't the only one they …It appears toyota have their own, let's hope this isn't the only one they will approve as it's £250. Warranty is a huge issue if people don't own the vehicle. https://blog.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-carI would absolutely ask the dealer about 3rd party catloc approval lists. I would also see what physical modifications are required.

No doubt you need to ask the insurance company and the financier (if leased) about any modifications to your vehicle this is always good practise in any event. I think the risk is low they would deny it if it’s a Toyota part fitted by Toyota; Likelihood is it will benefit both any the financier will just tell you to remove it before dehiring in which case you maybe able to recoup some of the cost depending on fitment
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions