cats and royal canin biscuits

Edited by:"whatyadoinsucka"Found 17th Aug 2017
just got a rescue cat and he seems to eat/like royal canin fit 32 biscuits morning and then a couple of pouches on an evening.

coming upto 4 weeks his 2kg pack is nearly empty.

can anyone recommend were is best to buy new packs and what size to buy
pets@home charge £18 for 2kg, whereas i can get 4kg for a similiar price online.

i found zooplus do 10kg bags and a 2kg bag free for £40 delivered. it seems like 12kg would last forever, current consumption would be circa 6 months,

do the biscuits keep fresh and not deteriate.

yes they are expensive but he tried some morrisons ones and left them, otherwise he always seems able to eat

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
21 Comments

cats are carnivores, biscuits contain usually minimum of 20% of carbohydrates (and god knows what other random veg). dry.
dry food should never be a primary food for cats. invest in quality wet food (eg bozita, animoda etc) and you will see that cats will hardly touch the dry food.
quality (high meat content) wet food will keep the cat fuller for longer.

mattsk18 m ago

cats are carnivores, biscuits contain usually minimum of 20% of …cats are carnivores, biscuits contain usually minimum of 20% of carbohydrates (and god knows what other random veg). dry.dry food should never be a primary food for cats. invest in quality wet food (eg bozita, animoda etc) and you will see that cats will hardly touch the dry food.quality (high meat content) wet food will keep the cat fuller for longer.

Meanwhile...in the real world, cats do just fine on dry food keep them hydrated and they will be fine

We buy our Royal canin from zoo plus good company to work with and we also took a rescue cat lovely tempramnt

Dannyrobbo6 m ago

Meanwhile...in the real world, cats do just fine on dry food keep them …Meanwhile...in the real world, cats do just fine on dry food keep them hydrated and they will be fine

meanwhile people drive without seat belts and are fine as well... meanwhile people dont vaccinate and are also fine....:) i could go on and on
Edited by: "mattsk" 17th Aug 2017

Original Poster

as i said the cat loves it and he has pouches of wet food/meat on an evening. he seems pretty healthy and is very active on the hunt and inquisitive.

is a 10kg bag too big for one cat, should i stick to the smaller bag or get another cat

Zooplus via tcb always get a good service just had a delivery today actually. We buy our 2 Sphynx, 2x10kg Royal Canin Sphynx food and tins of thrive wet food and treats. Recommended....

mattsk2 h, 57 m ago

meanwhile people drive without seat belts and are fine as well... …meanwhile people drive without seat belts and are fine as well... meanwhile people dont vaccinate and are also fine....:) i could go on and on

People drive without seat belts and die, people don't get vaccinated Could get very sick and may also die. Cats that consume dry food don't drop dead stop being daft.

mattsk6 h, 58 m ago

cats are carnivores, biscuits contain usually minimum of 20% of …cats are carnivores, biscuits contain usually minimum of 20% of carbohydrates (and god knows what other random veg). dry.dry food should never be a primary food for cats. invest in quality wet food (eg bozita, animoda etc) and you will see that cats will hardly touch the dry food.quality (high meat content) wet food will keep the cat fuller for longer.

You should have a look in to some of the newer and better dry food like Orijen, they have 85% meant content, and circa 40% protein content, any other content is very low-glycemic carbohydrates, such as fruits, no grain etc. and in very low quantities. Fed along with complimentary Applaws wet foods,it's a very balanced diet. We used Bozita for a while, but the cats went off it after a while, and found the low 8.5% protein content, meant we were feeding them much more of it, and some of the Animoda stuff is as bad as Whiska's, but some of it is decent, you have to be careful with it.

Either way, the results of feeding a cat rubbish are not immediate, this is true, like you say, people should pay more attention to the dietary requirements of our feline companions, as later in life the poor diet plays havoc with kidneys, and teeth (lots of cat food has sugar in it, especially the supermarket/cheap brands!) and it's sad to see them depart early if spending a few quid more on decent food will keep them around longer.

I lost both my original childhood cats, when one was 20, the other was 22 years old, but they were spoiled rotten with fresh fish, rabbits, and pigeon a lot of the time, not to mention quite a few mice, and the odd starling.
Edited by: "Uncommon.Sense" 17th Aug 2017

Uncommon.Sense9 h, 17 m ago

You should have a look in to some of the newer and better dry food like …You should have a look in to some of the newer and better dry food like Orijen, they have 85% meant content, and circa 40% protein content, any other content is very low-glycemic carbohydrates, such as fruits, no grain etc. and in very low quantities. Fed along with complimentary Applaws wet foods,it's a very balanced diet. We used Bozita for a while, but the cats went off it after a while, and found the low 8.5% protein content, meant we were feeding them much more of it, and some of the Animoda stuff is as bad as Whiska's, but some of it is decent, you have to be careful with it.Either way, the results of feeding a cat rubbish are not immediate, this is true, like you say, people should pay more attention to the dietary requirements of our feline companions, as later in life the poor diet plays havoc with kidneys, and teeth (lots of cat food has sugar in it, especially the supermarket/cheap brands!) and it's sad to see them depart early if spending a few quid more on decent food will keep them around longer.I lost both my original childhood cats, when one was 20, the other was 22 years old, but they were spoiled rotten with fresh fish, rabbits, and pigeon a lot of the time, not to mention quite a few mice, and the odd starling.

im not saying dry food is bad, I'm saying that I would never give dry food to a cat as a main source of nutrition ( the same way as I would not feed anyone with pot noodle every day even if it was nutritionally complete). there is a nice pdf of all dry food compared in respect to nutritional breakdown etc (dont have a link tho)

You should only feed a cat 1 pouch per day no more regardless of how they moan /look at you longingly,we use Iams for dry food ,and as a treat we put a couple of dreamys on

I got a kitten in January (I love him so much) and feed him a raw food diet (natural instinct) with no dry food. He is so healthy with a shiny coat etc. A couple of weeks ago we rehomed a 4 year old cat that had been eating whiskas or whatever other standard supermarket food was on offer. She was reallynalting and looked scraggy next to our shiny coated cat. We slowly changed her food to the raw diet and she is loving it and gets excited when I get the pot out the fridge. if you wanted to check it out, it is really highly rated

naturalinstinct.com/raw…P2A

Dannyrobbo17th Aug

People drive without seat belts and die, people don't get vaccinated Could …People drive without seat belts and die, people don't get vaccinated Could get very sick and may also die. Cats that consume dry food don't drop dead stop being daft.

Actually a few years back my cat died of kidney problems, He was only 2 at the time, Apparently dry food was the most likely culprit.

I didn't realize at the time, Apparently cats get most of there fluids via there food source, Some will simply not drink enough water which can dehydration them and cause all sorts of problems.

farmlama11 h, 24 m ago

I got a kitten in January (I love him so much) and feed him a raw food …I got a kitten in January (I love him so much) and feed him a raw food diet (natural instinct) with no dry food. He is so healthy with a shiny coat etc. A couple of weeks ago we rehomed a 4 year old cat that had been eating whiskas or whatever other standard supermarket food was on offer. She was reallynalting and looked scraggy next to our shiny coated cat. We slowly changed her food to the raw diet and she is loving it and gets excited when I get the pot out the fridge. if you wanted to check it out, it is really highly ratedhttps://www.naturalinstinct.com/raw-cat-food?gclid=CNiR_rrr4dUCFXEW0wodGsgP2A

there is absolutely no evidence that raw food diet is better or healthier for a cat (quite the opposite). It's yet another fad diet (for animals) just like organic, paleo, 5:2 etc...

mattsk11 h, 50 m ago

there is absolutely no evidence that raw food diet is better or healthier …there is absolutely no evidence that raw food diet is better or healthier for a cat (quite the opposite). It's yet another fad diet (for animals) just like organic, paleo, 5:2 etc...

Just that hat cats are carnivores and would eat raw food in the wild.
the food I suggested is all meat and bone whereas the royal cannin food that the original poster mentioned is full of wheat and has over 7% ash in it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to seethe better one.

i would like to see the studies you mention that say a raw food is worse for your pet.

mattsk17th Aug

Have 2 cats, put down wet and IAMS dry biscuits.

One cat eats only wet, one only dry & wotsits

Cats do not care for your science, they're cats, and eat what they want.

farmlama20 h, 54 m ago

Just that hat cats are carnivores and would eat raw food in the wild.the …Just that hat cats are carnivores and would eat raw food in the wild.the food I suggested is all meat and bone whereas the royal cannin food that the original poster mentioned is full of wheat and has over 7% ash in it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to seethe better one.i would like to see the studies you mention that say a raw food is worse for your pet.

Schlesinger 2011 ... Doesn't take much to do simple research.

benjammin31620 h, 52 m ago

Have 2 cats, put down wet and IAMS dry biscuits.One cat eats only wet, one …Have 2 cats, put down wet and IAMS dry biscuits.One cat eats only wet, one only dry & wotsitsCats do not care for your science, they're cats, and eat what they want.

No cats don't care for science but funnily enough science proves that cats in the wild get more parasitoid diseases, gi infection and shorter lifespan

Feed any person or animal with the same food all the time and you will see the effects after short amount of time
Edited by: "mattsk" 20th Aug 2017

mattsk29 m ago

No cats don't care for science but funnily enough science proves that cats …No cats don't care for science but funnily enough science proves that cats in the wild get more parasitoid diseases, gi infection and shorter lifespanFeed any person or animal with the same food all the time and you will see the effects after short amount of time

You're fun.

mattsk11 h, 37 m ago

Schlesinger 2011 ... Doesn't take much to do simple research.

I looked up that study and the very first paragraph stated how there is a lack of studies to really determine any risks with a raw food diet. It is basically an opinion, loosely based around one inadequate study.Much of it mentioned home made food aswell which could have issues with storage etc. It's like relying on one bad film review to back up that a movie is bad and ignoring the thousands of good Ines. Because there are loads of statements out there saying the positives of a raw food diet, and like I said a cat will eat raw meat in the wild, it is what they were designed to eat. No animal was designed to eat ash!!!
Edited by: "farmlama" 21st Aug 2017

farmlama3 h, 13 m ago

I looked up that study and the very first paragraph stated how there is a …I looked up that study and the very first paragraph stated how there is a lack of studies to really determine any risks with a raw food diet. It is basically an opinion, loosely based around one inadequate study.Much of it mentioned home made food aswell which could have issues with storage etc. It's like relying on one bad film review to back up that a movie is bad and ignoring the thousands of good Ines. Because there are loads of statements out there saying the positives of a raw food diet, and like I said a cat will eat raw meat in the wild, it is what they were designed to eat. No animal was designed to eat ash!!!

science is never based on opinion. if you would read the whole study (not just a single paragraph) you would notice how many and what risk raw food brings in.
Personal statements are just that... unverified prone to bias ... statements... let me give you an example. there is 1000's of statements saying that low sugar diet cures cancer....
The fact there is no EVIDENCE raw food is better makes your whole argument void.

btw this is a wild cat31740671-wMua5.jpg
these are not wild cats 31740671-kEMI1.jpg

just as an example, let a human live in a wild without any tools etc. how long do you expect them to survive or be healthy....

I was buying it off Amazon until I swapped for Arden grange as the meat % was higher and quality better.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants